Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I actually wouldn’t be shocked if he was the only one. Most of the team seems to act like their shit doesn’t stink.
Sometimes I liked the Ronnie Low teams more. You didn't have to search far in a game to find guys like Weight, Guerin, Smyth, Marchand, Grier Cujo etc. They'd play like their lives depended on it.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
100%

This country club team made them look a hell of a lot better than they are. Overrated finesse core, weak D depth propped up by being embarrassed into listening to a coach for a while (sounds like this group there) and a Vezina-worthy goalie (which if this team had one they would have won a Cup by now).
You don’t build a team around jt miller. Horvat was the guy. They will go on a skid and JT will poison the room. Book it.

that might have been the worst oiler game in 2-3 years. even great teams have stinkers

the sun will rise tomorrow. Onward we go.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The team will get better. I mean thats guaranteed they can't be this bad. But its a flawed lineup lacking jam. Jam comes from hustling younger or mid age players. It doesn't always come from a pack of 30yr olds having to play huge minutes.

The bottomsix is horrid. Actually we don't even have one with dressing 11-6. Another season of doubleshifting McDrai and hoping for the best.

Good luck with the pk too. Kept hearing Brown was excellent pk.
Is Brown supposed to kill penalties from the bench? He didnt get scored on while on the PK.

You're aware this stuff is easy to look up right?

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
This isn’t dark truth- it’s facts. Holland hasn’t had a bottom 6 with a higher gf% than Chiarelli at the time of his firing until last year.
It's a dark truth because many think this team is now a contender. I seriously don't see it. They might end up having a great regular season but come playoff time, it'll be the same outcome as the last 2 playoffs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
nah, this team has the pieces IMO...we saw it last year FFS with essentially the same roster

this team lacks legit leadership sometimes, they yap and yap all summer about the loss against Vegas and how it stings so much and you'd have thought they would have come out like gang busters but instead looked like an AHL team

hopefully this loss wakes them the f*** up

You think it’s on the effort of the players rather than the make up on the line up? I can’t buy that. Drai, McD, Nurse, and this whole team cares, they care alot and they want that Cup bad.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its hurts this team immensely though because they have no cap space. Its probably $2M too much. Money that could be could have used for another higher quality dman instead of trying to patch things together by forcing 3 or 4 dmen to play above their pay grade.
Holland is no money manager--its always been his major weakness. He put the Wings in cap hell too ---if I remember right.

Reactions: guymez

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Sometimes I liked the Ronnie Low teams more. You didn't have to search far in a game to find guys like Weight, Guerin, Smyth, Marchand, Grier Cujo etc. They'd play like their lives depended on it.

I know it’s blasphemy (not just to this fanbase) but I’m kind of tired of the same bullshit from this core. They have the talent and have shown that they can battle through adversity but the lack of consistent effort is difficult to ignore. Not sure what the solution is at this point

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You think it’s on the effort of the players rather than the make up on the line up? I can’t buy that. Drai, McD, Nurse, and this whole team cares, they care alot and they want that Cup bad.
They have a funny way to show it. If we just got out skilled then you can blame the makeup.

Tonight the loss was 1000% the effort.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I mean... This team looks like it's going to lose a lot.

Out worked. Out skilled. Out hit. Out chanced. Out disciplined. Just giving pathetic effort.

Against a club that didn't improve in the off-season and didn't sniff a playoff spot last year. That's about as pathetic as it gets.
Don't let game 1 make you think it's an indicator of how the season will go. You know as well as I do they're a good team.

I'd also say the Canucks did improve this summer. Some good additions to their team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Woody will never admit the real reason why he has to play 11-7.
Its because the defence isnt good enough so he is trying to compensate by committee.

In this game Holloway gets injured and the team is down to 10 forwards.
They can barley play 3 lines so McDavid and Draisaitl get more minutes and they still lose 8-1.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The team will get better. I mean thats guaranteed they can't be this bad. But its a flawed lineup lacking jam. Jam comes from hustling younger or mid age players. It doesn't always come from a pack of 30yr olds having to play huge minutes.

The bottomsix is horrid. Actually we don't even have one with dressing 11-6. Another season of doubleshifting McDrai and hoping for the best.

Good luck with the pk too. Kept hearing Brown was excellent pk.
No natural goals scorers in the bottom 6--I think that's why some posters said that Lavoie (with his shot) might be an upgrade even if he is often underwhelming. I imagine he'll get called up with the Holloway injury.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Is Brown supposed to kill penalties from the bench? He didnt get scored on while on the PK.

Normally it would be. NHL f***ed over their game stats. Used to be simple looking at all the stats and toi just from the boxstats. Now you have to look all over for it. Anyway didn't get to it, too busy mixing drinks, sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad