Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The long term contracts handed out to Koskinen and Campbell were both idiotic.

If you want to take at shot on them, fine, but like giving them long term deals with very small sample sizes and no proven track record of being a long term starter was insane.

Kosko signing was dumb. Campbell signing equally dumb. One GM Chia is hated around these parts and called out rightfully. The other GM Holland gets so many passes around here i can’t comprehend it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
nah, no nyet.

Theres just no point. You're not grasping what I put down. You reply with whatever you want to think I was emphasizing.

But worse when you several times say you're just doing it to yank my chain why should I even respond to you more?
Okay. Its entirely possible that this barrage of responses I am having to type out has me reading posts too quickly. :nod:

If you are trying to say that the forward group lacks depth then I dont agree with that either. They probably have the best top 6 in the NHL. I also think that they can put together a pretty decent 3rd line as well.
Vegas pretty much rolled 3 lines and won the cup.

Surely you dont think that Holland should be prioritizing forward depth over defence and possibly even goaltending.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Okay. its possible that this barrage of responses I am having to type out has me reading posts too quickly. :nod:

If you are trying to say that the forward group lacks depth then I dont agree with that either. They probably have the best top 6 in the NHL. I also think that they can put together a pretty decent 3rd line as well.
Vegas pretty much rolled 3 lines and won the cup.
What he’s trying to say is we had several forwards have career years last season and career years are rarely ever duplicated. Because of that it’s likely that our scoring will be down this year.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Holloway is out our bottom 6 becomes

Foegele Ryan Janmark
Erne McLeod Pedersen

?

anakin-yippie.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What he’s trying to say is we had several forwards have career years last season and career years are rarely ever duplicated. Because of that it’s likely that our scoring will be down this year.
Okay...thanks for this. Apologies to @Drivesaitl
Its likely that Nuge doesnt duplicate last season. Hymen as well.
If that were to happen though this team was so far ahead of the rest of the League offensively is that really going to impact the team? Especially after replacing Yamamoto with Brown.
If they dont clean up their defence then a drop in offence might have an impact which is all the more reason to address the issues on the back end.

My main point was consistent and it applies to any concern regarding the forward group....
The problem with this team IMO is not what they dont do (or might not do) offensively...its what they give up.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

If I’m Woody, I just put this on loop in the video session tomorrow, and let the boys watch it for an hour straight. First hit of the waif’s career and he destroys Ceci. I expect Saturday will be different.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I PAID BIG MONEY FOR THIS SHIT.

Team caught reading their press clippings. Nurse and Bouchard were awful. All of d corp were slow in their own ice decision making and terrible in their d to d passing. Constantly turned over pucks in their own zone and wilted under Canucks aggressive forecheck. Desharnais might have been their best defender. This is not a Cup level defense corp.

Undisciplined leadership group with Draisaitl terrible all night and two bad penalties. McDavid joined the frustration bad penalty march. Nurse tried to stir things up in garbage time risking another dumb penalty.

No one looked good. Maybe the third like of McLeod, Holloway, and Foegele (who has very low puck poise) looked fast and aggressive though McLeod slipped into perimeter game mode; no finish Foegele; and Holloway looked good but I'm guessing a broken hand ... from my lower bowl toilet bowl vantage point at the game.

Goaltending wasn't good. But this was a completely dysfunctional team in front of them who were beaten to pucks, outworked, and outskilled by the Canucks. Embarrassment.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

If I’m Woody, I just put this on loop in the video session tomorrow, and let the boys watch it for an hour straight. First hit of the waif’s career and he destroys Ceci. I expect Saturday will be different.

I guarantee that hit was in response to McDavids hit in the first. Too much effort in that hit to not be a message sender. Time for the Oilers to respond.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I PAID BIG MONEY FOR THIS SHIT.

Team caught reading their press clippings. Nurse and Bouchard were awful. All of d corp were slow in their own ice decision making and terrible in their d to d passing. Constantly turned over pucks in their own zone and wilted under Canucks aggressive forecheck. Desharnais might have been their best defender. This is not a Cup level defense corp.

Undisciplined leadership group with Draisaitl terrible all night and two bad penalties. McDavid joined the frustration bad penalty march. Nurse tried to stir things up in garbage time risking another dumb penalty.

No one looked good. Maybe the third like of McLeod, Holloway, and Foegele (who has very low puck poise) looked fast and aggressive though McLeod slipped into perimeter game mode; no finish Foegele; and Holloway looked good but I'm guessing a broken hand ... from my lower bowl toilet bowl vantage point at the game.

Goaltending wasn't good. But this was a completely dysfunctional team in front of them who were beaten to pucks, outworked, and outskilled by the Canucks. Embarrassment.
The baffling thing for me is that the leadership group had some big talk about showing up early in Edmonton for Training camp so they could start the season the right way.

On a separate note...I know how that feels to go to a few select games, pay good money and watch a shit performance. :nod:

Reactions: TheNumber4

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
at the risk of overreacting, I wonder if it would be better to move the younger players into the top six. The vets seem sluggish. Make RNH a centre.

McLeod McDavid Brown
Hyman Drai Holloway
Foegele RNH Kane
Ryan Janmark Erne

Get some fresh legs into the top 6. Maybe some youthful exuberance helps.

• Haha
Reactions: Kg810

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
at the risk of overreacting, I wonder if it would be better to move the younger players into the top six. The vets seem sluggish. Make RNH a centre.

McLeod McDavid Brown
Hyman Drai Holloway
Foegele RNH Kane
Ryan Janmark Erne

Get some fresh legs into the top 6. Maybe some youthful exuberance helps.

I think McDrai and the supporting cast will get going, can’t win Art Rosses without that ability. What the top 6 needs is reliable execution rather than youthful exuberance.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And honestly that's probably the #1 issue with this team.

They can't find their best game until they take a punch. I expect a good guilty conscience team for the next few games. Then we get on the roller coaster.
Thats a fair point and that more than (like all the big talk about getting off to a good start this season) speaks to the leadership group.
Hopefully the guilt hangs around for 30-40 games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The baffling thing for me is that the leadership group had some big talk about showing up early in Edmonton for Training camp so they could start the season the right way.

On a separate note...I know how that feels to go to a few select games, pay good money and watch a shit performance. :nod:

I still weep for my $800 dollars spent on a 5-1 drubbing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I knew he jumped, but wow, foot off the ice before contact.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I still weep for my $800 dollars spent on a 5-1 drubbing.
Ouch.
I hear you man.
One season I took my adolescent son to 2 games...lower bowl seats.
He was so excited and in the end he didnt even get to see his favorite team score a goal in either game.
Oilers lost both games 5-0.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
And honestly that's probably the #1 issue with this team.

They can't find their best game until they take a punch. I expect a good guilty conscience team for the next few games. Then we get on the roller coaster.
Yep. Also like to play chicken with a playoff spot half of the season and then go on a super run to try and take the division.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Okay...thanks for this. Apologies to @Drivesaitl
Its likely that Nuge doesnt duplicate last season. Hymen as well.
If that were to happen though this team was so far ahead of the rest of the League offensively is that really going to impact the team? Especially after replacing Yamamoto with Brown.
If they dont clean up their defence then a drop in offence might have an impact which is all the more reason to address the issues on the back end.

My main point was consistent and it applies to any concern regarding the forward group....
The problem with this team IMO is not what they dont do (or might not do) offensively...its what they give up.
I completely agree with you about the defensemen on this team. The Oilers aren’t winning anything with that group. Ekholm helped when he got here at the deadline last year but he’s a year older and not able to play right now for some reason.
I do think the offence will be an issue too though as they won’t be able to out score their defensive issues like they were able to most of last season. That’s the point I was taking from @Drivesaitl post anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad