Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Could have been charging too.

Yeah, think that's pretty textbook charging. Refs just in disbelief that this quiet stone faced swedish lad would ever do such a thing.

Can someone tell me what nurse does well?

Best bros with McDrai. Guess plays lots of minutes. Great athlete genes. His grandpa is good at timing going to the bathroom the same time as Craig MacTavish at NHL drafts

Reactions: guymez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The baffling thing for me is that the leadership group had some big talk about showing up early in Edmonton for Training camp so they could start the season the right way.

On a separate note...I know how that feels to go to a few select games, pay good money and watch a shit performance. :nod:
Talk is cheap. Action carries the day. Ekholm is a glue guy this team needs for his play but also mature, calm leadership. Draisaitl though needs to get that cheap penalty stuff out of his game. Have to turn the page on this embarrassing lack of effort. Oil looked slow, disjointed and sloppy against a fast and skilled Canucks team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I completely agree with you about the defensemen on this team. The Oilers aren’t winning anything with that group. Ekholm helped when he got here at the deadline last year but he’s a year older and not able to play right now for some reason.
I do think the offence will be an issue too though as they won’t be able to out score their defensive issues like they were able to most of last season. That’s the point I was taking from @Drivesaitl post anyway.
Fair enough.
If the defence doesnt improve (a lot) and the offence drops off enough then that could very well happen.
I still think though that Hollands focus should be on the back end and not the forward group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Talk is cheap. Action carries the day. Ekholm is a glue guy this team needs for his play but also mature, calm leadership. Draisaitl though needs to get that cheap penalty stuff out of his game. Have to turn the page on this embarrassing lack of effort. Oil looked slow, disjointed and sloppy against a fast and skilled Canucks team.
I agree. Ekholm was sorely missed. Nurse and the boys cant seem to do shit without Ekholms presence.
The other thing I noticed was how the Canucks solid defensive play (positionally and with their sticks) really frustrated the Oilers top players...especially Draisaitl.
It was like they resented having to put in the extra effort needed to push through that.
They really didnt look interested in trying to outwork the Canucks.

Quite proper that the Canucks embarrassed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGhost

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Lol fack. Salt in our wounds. A sickly Demko nearly shuts us out.

Idk I remember when I was playing that I had some of my best games when I was ill.

Maybe it puts the pressure off because nobody’s gonna blame you if you lay an egg.

The Oilers on the other hand, not so much. That game was like watching a car crash that files into a school and careens into a nuclear powerplant. Generational disaster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ouch.
I hear you man.
One season I took my adolescent son to 2 games...lower bowl seats.
He was so excited and in the end he didnt even get to see his favorite team score a goal in either game.
Oilers lost both games 5-0.
Okay that’s worse lol. Imma tell you when I have my next shoe in of the week guarantee for a blow out win so hopefully that changes.

Reactions: guymez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree.
The other thing I noticed was how the Canucks solid defensive play (positionally and with their sticks) really frustrated the Oilers top players...especially Draisaitl.
It was like they resented having to put in the extra effort needed to push through that.
They really didnt look interested in trying to outwork the Canucks.

Quite proper that the Canucks embarrassed them.
Canucks system play was so much better. They largely kept a disjointed team out of high scoring home plate areas and their d was light years better in transitioning out of their zone quickly and efficiently. Solid PK again a slow moving Oilers PP. Oilers defense was incredibly sloppy under pressure with a whack of own zone turnovers that Canucks efficient skill guys buried.

Incredible to think this Oilers began their work two weeks before training camp and then through a league high eight pre-season games. Thoroughly schooled in all facets tonight.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
IMG_1949.jpeg

Hello darkness, my old friend

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Hahaha Demko couldn’t even finish the game because he was puking in his mask, the flu went around the Cansucks room and the score would have likely been reversed had this team shown up to play. This team deserves any and all vitriol they get hurled at them tomorrow.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Fair enough.
If the defence doesnt improve (a lot) and the offence drops off enough then that could very well happen.
I still think though that Hollands focus should be on the back end and not the forward group.
The offense is stale because every time we throw the puck up top, our dmen just panic and fire it back into the corner to the other team, or at best a 50/50 scramble. The play dies on the stick of pretty much our entire dcore in the o zone because we dont have a single player that's capable, outside of the occasional bouch play, of making a move/walking the line to make space. Teams can just swarm us down low because they know that we aren't a threat to do anything from the point. All it takes is a little pressure and they cough it up.

And the worst part? You would think that the above dmen would be proficient in other areas of the ice to compensate for their abysmal lack of offensive skill from the blue line, but they aren't. They can't defend, can't hold a blue line, can't make a breakout pass.

Outside of EKH, none of our dmen really shine in any area of the ice. Most of our corp is comprised of bottom pairing plugs that are playing way above their means. Nurse belongs on a second pairing. Ekh is our only good bonafide top pairing dmen, and then it just falls of a cliff to mediocre guys that dont bring anything good to the table.

Not winning shit until this dcore gets better, and I'm not sure if that's even possible to do at this point with our cap situation.

I was at the game, and all I watched was every one of our dmen back off the blue line and allow every single canucks player to enter the zone. Bunch of scared weak dmen

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Reminds me of when I first moved to Toronto and was meeting people. They’d ask about sports and obviously hockey. You’d get a question like “so who’s your favourite team?”

Through gritted teeth and watery eyes I’d reply, “the Edmonton Oilers”

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Reminds me of when I first moved to Toronto and was meeting people. They’d ask about sports and obviously hockey. You’d get a question like “so who’s your favourite team?”

Through gritted teeth and watery eyes I’d reply, “the Edmonton Oilers”

I wouldn’t really be embarrassed to admit I’m an Oilers fan to Leafs fans, just saying.

Reactions: TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The offense is stale because every time we throw the puck up top, our dmen just panic and fire it back into the corner to the other team, or at best a 50/50 scramble. The play dies on the stick of pretty much our entire dcore in the o zone because we dont have a single player that's capable, outside of the occasional bouch play, of making a move/walking the line to make space. Teams can just swarm us down low because they know that we aren't a threat to do anything from the point. All it takes is a little pressure and they cough it up.

And the worst part? You would think that the above dmen would be proficient in other areas of the ice to compensate for their abysmal lack of offensive skill from the blue line, but they aren't. They can't defend, can't hold a blue line, can't make a breakout pass.

Outside of EKH, none of our dmen really shine in any area of the ice. Most of our corp is comprised of bottom pairing plugs that are playing way above their means. Nurse belongs on a second pairing. Ekh is our only good bonafide top pairing dmen, and then it just falls of a cliff to mediocre guys that dont bring anything good to the table.

Not winning shit until this dcore gets better, and I'm not sure if that's even possible to do at this point with our cap situation.

I was at the game, and all I watched was every one of our dmen back off the blue line and allow every single canucks player to enter the zone. Bunch of scared weak dmen

The way they park on the puck every single touch at the blue line is something that is glaring to me as well and absolutely f***ing stupid. Also an Oiler “thing” that has carried over multiple seasons. They don’t even need to be great at opening lanes if they would stop sitting on it allowing any chance they had to shoot taken away with indecision. Someone in the GDT commented that Desharnais lead the D group in shot attempts, which makes sense because he’s the only one with the wherewithal to realize that launching it is the best play he can make.

Enter zone, stop on the wall to look for the never existent centering pass, get isolated, flip it to the corner to another player that’s isolated or up to the D that sit on it and likely turn it over. Rinse and repeat. Never a shot off the rush, never a low->high play that us quickly shot for a rebound, never anyone going to the net, etc. Basically nothing that actually produces goals or chance momentum. One and done, if we even ever get the one.

Like all things that require a little bit of effort, producing offense or even chances isn’t in this group’s DNA when they decide to take games/weeks/months off. They will never simplify, then get confused why goals don’t just happen.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Oh man we are never going to win anything with these Dmen. 200 feet of awful lol

Woodcroft sucked too. The other team was way better prepared. The idea that every oiler couldn't get up for the first game is ridiculous. Our whole team was playing jazz tonight

People blaming Campbell are so wrong by my eyes. He was pretty good tonight and his team let him down.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Before I read through the GDT, I watched the game after it was over. Way to leave Campbell out to dry. Absolute garbage effort. Holloway was a plus so of course he gets hurt late. Captain's skate, Stanley aspirations, new system, why play Gleason when we have the two studs in Broberg and Desharnais, where's the toughness on our team? Only Nurse seemed to have given a f*** in this regard late. Kulak looked like crap, likely because he's playing injured. Wake the f*** up boys. Woodcroft is on notice, anything less than a cup and his ass should be fired. Glad that we are shopping for another forward, how about we get a better defenseman than Kulak, Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais?

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Before I read through the GDT, I watched the game after it was over. Way to leave Campbell out to dry. Absolute garbage effort. Holloway was a plus so of course he gets hurt late. Captain's skate, Stanley aspirations, new system, why play Gleason when we have the two studs in Broberg and Desharnais, where's the toughness on our team? Only Nurse seemed to have given a f*** in this regard late. Kulak looked like crap, likely because he's playing injured. Wake the f*** up boys. Woodcroft is on notice, anything less than a cup and his ass should be fired. Glad that we are shopping for another forward, how about we get a better defenseman than Kulak, Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais?
I was at the game, not sure how you can just blame some defensemen. That was a total team loss from top to bottom, other than Holloway, McLeod and Foegele ( who had a few good shifts ) it was total dogshit. The goaltending was terrible, there was no jump or drive for any players at any position.

They didn't come to play and it showed. I guess they expected to win without playing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canucks system play was so much better. They largely kept a disjointed team out of high scoring home plate areas and their d was light years better in transitioning out of their zone quickly and efficiently. Solid PK again a slow moving Oilers PP. Oilers defense was incredibly sloppy under pressure with a whack of own zone turnovers that Canucks efficient skill guys buried.

Incredible to think this Oilers began their work two weeks before training camp and then through a league high eight pre-season games. Thoroughly schooled in all facets tonight.
The Nucks were working a very simple just get it out, get pucks north system, anything it took to advance pucks and they puck support to do it. Hockey isn't rocket Science. Tochet had an old game plan going that Flyers used to play, and it still works today. Primarily stuff like this works if all players are on board for it and all know what they are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad