Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh wow lol, they lost 8-1? I tuned out after 5-1 or 6-1, don't remember which.
Eh, no biggie. It's still just 0-1 but that's a whopper of an L.

I think part of the issue is that these lines/pairings that started the game never played a real game before outside of Ryan-Janmark and Nurse-Bouchard years ago although I think RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman played a few games maybe? Part of it can also be chalked up to just one of those nights. No excuse to lose on Saturday.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So how about that Nurse-Bouchard pairing? 🤮

It was 6-1 for Vancouver in the third period and they still threw out their number one power play unit.. hopefully the Oilers remember this for Saturday

The crying about this from the Oilers is f***ing ridiculous. If that’s what you pull from this game as a player on the Oilers you are living in a different reality, frankly.

Honestly, when it was 8-1 I was hoping it got worse. This perpetually stupid group has proven time and time again that they are truly incapable of playing anything resembling quality hockey until they are shamed or forced to do it. The harder this game landed the more likely it is that they don’t do it again. What do I know though, this team defies any sort of conventional wisdom, so at this point I’d say they’re more likely to do this again Saturday if anything.

I’m far from a panic “fire the coach” person, but this year the grace period for “learning opportunities” needs to not extend past about November 1. If this group can’t learn that effort is required to compete in NHL games get someone here that will teach them quickly.

Last edited:

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I can’t believer that game, after the 5th goal I turned it off in rage but 10 mins later I was missing my hockey fix and turned it on just to see another Canucks goal. Turn it off again and 5 mins later turn it back on out of my addiction to see yet another Canucks goal. Just a brutal start to the season.

Canucks came ready the oilers were not, props to tocchet they looked good compared to the Canucks of last year under Bruce

What happened to him?
Blocked a shot that hit his once previously broken wrist

• Haha
Reactions: TheOne

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
You just watched Oilers - - - - -. Where can we sign up for this for life?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
He didn’t know at the time that goaltender was sick
Chill man. Now you wanna crap on the best player in the world because u got a bad taste in your mouth? Take some mouthwash then

The person you quoted is right.

McDavid's post game comments said "there were a few" things Vancouver did with the lead that the team didn't like. Agreed, he didn't know about Demko was sick, but it was a GREAT opportunity to just say, "We don't care what they do, we got our asses kicked"... not whine about them rolling out PP1 with a big lead.

Would he be less offended if they rolled out a bunch of scrubs and rested their best guys for the next game... which happens to be AGAINST THE OILERS? The rationale doesn't even make sense.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The person you quoted is right.

McDavid's post game comments said "there were a few" things Vancouver did with the lead that the team didn't like. Agreed, he didn't know about Demko was sick, but it was a GREAT opportunity to just say, "We don't care what they do, we got our asses kicked"... not whine about them rolling out PP1 with a big lead.

Would he be less offended if they rolled out a bunch of scrubs and rested their best guys for the next game... which happens to be AGAINST THE OILERS? The rationale doesn't even make sense.

It’s probably the most disappointing thing I’ve ever heard McDavid say. I don’t want to read into it any more than I should, but if the takeaway is feeling victimized because the team that just shit in on you played their PP1 longer than you would like then I just don’t know what to say.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
It’s probably the most disappointing thing I’ve ever heard McDavid say. I don’t want to read into it any more than I should, but if the takeaway is feeling victimized because the team that just shit in on you played their PP1 longer than you would like then I just don’t know what to say.

Exactly. And of all the things to happen in that game, the only truly questionable one was Drai hacking the back of a player's leg while he was on the ice, that was gutless.

Reactions: TheOne

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Man. That defense and goaltending. There is no way around it. At least 3 goals were due to Bouchards laziness and Nurses low IQ. The Goaltending allowed goals on 3 wrist shots from nearly the blueline. Screened or not. These are things out of control for the rest of the team. You can't hide these weaknesses. There are specific individuals who simply can't get past thier utter stupidity.

Compound that with McDavids comment. Like cmon man. If you don't want them to run up the score. Then stop them ! Why are you acting like some sort of victim ?

You want to snap back ? Do it on Saturday. I just don't think the Oilers have the right mindset. It borders on arrogance and stupidity after the game.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Oh boy so much to unpack but is it worth it? Was this simply an egg? How the f*** do you lay an egg game 1 though?!?!

At first glance, Nurse Bouch might be worse then Nurse Ceci, Gleason should be on the team instead of Bro, Des. Add Ekholm and that’s a decent 6.

Woodys new D system is a disaster, Woody as a coach is a disaster, not sure he makes the 20 game mark.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I wonder how familiar Jeff Jackson is with Joel Quenville?
I really like JQ as a head coach and would normally jump at this thought, but this group doesn’t need another new, and different coach. I guess, what I mean is that I don’t think Toe Blake reincarnate is even the answer here. To me it would be a convenient and yet, unwarranted disruption to this season’s run.

Instead, they need to listen to the lessons and messages that the one they have is imparting. Woody has warts, they’ve been discussed, so did Todd, Tipp and Hitch. They all do. At some point you can’t say that a new coach will fix problems when the core has had 3,4 coaches (depends if you want to count Hitchcock) in 8 years and some of these same foundational issues remain in their game.

The issue isn’t in the coach, or in the water or the final report of Nicholson’s organizational forensic audit anywhere but in the room and between the ears of these players.

Just my 2 cents.

I’m not huge Woody fan, but we need to be done with change for the sake of change.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man. That defense and goaltending. There is no way around it. At least 3 goals were due to Bouchards laziness and Nurses low IQ. The Goaltending allowed goals on 3 wrist shots from nearly the blueline. Screened or not. These are things out of control for the rest of the team. You can't hide these weaknesses. There are specific individuals who simply can't get past thier utter stupidity.
I mean the one thing they apparently were suppose to work on was getting into lanes and blocking those shots from the point, so it is in the control of the team.

But again the team just hasn't figured it out.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
A score to settle!
Unfinished business!
Focus on defence!
This is our year!
We started early practices!
aa0.png

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Holloway can't play on Saturday... does that mean the Oilers will have to run 10-6?

Is there a point where an emergency callup is allowed?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
In the pre-game thread, I said I was hopeful they learned to stop reading the press clippings about themselves and because they are pegged as favorites, teams will be gunning for them harder so they better be ready to play. Exhibit A: 8-1 loss on opening night.

They obviously didn't stop reading their press clippings and they obviously didn't show up ready to play. It's a common theme from the leadership group. They weren't ready to play under McLellan, Hitchcock, Tippett and now Woodcroft.

Tochett is a guy who doesn't f*** around and will go for the jugular. They're playing a grown man's sport so McDavid needs to suck it up and grow up about Tochett putting their #1 unit out. Good for Tochett for doing so, embarrass the f*** out of them good and proper. I honestly expect more of the same Saturday night because this team doesn't. learn. any. lessons.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Fire Woody stuff is laughable.

I usually don't expect rational behavior on HFOil but after Game 1 to call for his firing is ridiculous even for HFOil standards.

I say this as somebody who sees some flaws in his approach, like pretty every other coach in the league has that fanbases complain about. Don't believe me? Check the Bruins board 2 years ago in regards to freshly Stanley Cup winner Bruce Cassidy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad