Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not that it’s any consolation, but the back to back SC champion Pens lost their second game of the season in 2017 to the Hawks 10–1. So crazy stuff does happen. As long as it’s a one off, which I expect it will be.

Fair, but I view the second game of the season far different than the first even. In the first game any team with a pulse is chomping at the bit and eager to get out and play a real game. I truly can't remember a first game from any team that completely limp. It goes against human nature almost.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man I hope not. I saw a couple good shifts from Kane in the first period. Kinda went to shit after that though. At least he wasn’t out there taking stupid frustration penalties when the game got out of hand like some of the leaders were doing. Kane is a proud man and I’ll be looking for him to come out very hard on Saturday.

I also don’t think this is the time for big analysis like that.

I’m just throwing this game into the incinerator with the hopes Saturday is more representative of what we expected.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I completely agree with you about the defensemen on this team. The Oilers aren’t winning anything with that group. Ekholm helped when he got here at the deadline last year but he’s a year older and not able to play right now for some reason.
I do think the offence will be an issue too though as they won’t be able to out score their defensive issues like they were able to most of last season. That’s the point I was taking from @Drivesaitl post anyway.
Thanks for being the interpreter. heh. I thought I was clear in my posts. What I see on this team is some elephant sized problems. How could the core of this team dig down every year and give their everything and then see guys like Nurse not committed, not prepared, not disciplined. If there isn't conflict on this club by now their oughta be because thats the only way you sort out some players not bringing it.

McD though was -2 last night and deserved to be on basis of play. Drai wasn't much better but was the only scorer and was even on the night in a 8-1 loss.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not that it’s any consolation, but the back to back SC champion Pens lost their second game of the season in 2017 to the Hawks 10–1. So crazy stuff does happen. As long as it’s a one off, which I expect it will be.

True but the Hawks in 2017 were still a fairly strong team and the Pens could at least be excused for sleepwalking through a game as they have won 2 cups recently.

The Oilers have no such safety net in Cup wins nor were they playing a team that was supposed to be nearly as strong as they showed.

This level of absolute disregard for preparedness and the utter lack of compete in Game 1 after more than a month to prepare is very very concerning.

2017 level concerning seeing how we are on that year!

The rubber meets the road Saturday.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I only watched the first 2 periods. Way too tired to watch a meaningless third period.

The good:

Broberg looked like an nhl defensman to my eye. Quick decision making. Had good hustle.

Holloway McLeod Foegele looked good.

The bad:

I didn't like the lines preseason. I especially don't like them after that first game.

The game went like every bad game we had last year. Underperformed, break out McDrai and hope for a miracle.

For playoff success I think we need 3 balanced lines. Scramble the extremely top heavy top 6.

Kane looks even worse to start this year than he did to finish last year. Has his injury killed his career? Hyperbole of course but he has not looked himself since the injury and was terrible last night. Hope it's just early season suckage.

Nobody outside of those mentioned above looked good.

Nurse Bouchard = too many brain farts. Please end that experiment asap. Nurse Ceci IMO was a solid pairing.

Jack Campbell in preseason looked quick. Decisive. Even explosive even.

Jack Campbell in game one looked completely different. Tentative. Slow of thought and movement. Trouble tracking the puck. Too deep in his net. Not challenging the shooter enough.

Obviously goaltending was not THE reason we lost but the difference between preseason and regular season game one is unreal.

McDavid... So obviously the best player in the world but when his game is off he is just a liability in terms of his defensive game. His speed almost becomes a liability as it can drag him out of position.

Nurse also just not being where he should be.

Our two biggest cap hits need to be our two best players most nights to have success and that didn't happen last night.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why is it that this shit always happens in Vancouver? Win and you beat up opposing fans. Lose and you destroy your city.
I've never had a problem with Canuckle fans. And I don't know how this started. However pretty chickenshit for fan(atic) A to throw beer into the guy's face and chickenshit fan(atic) B retro Canuckle jersey guy to jump him from behind.

Fighting in the stands should be left to NFL games. ;)

Reactions: Hit the post

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
True but the Hawks in 2017 were still a fairly strong team and the Pens could at least be excused for sleepwalking through a game as they have won 2 cups recently.

The Oilers have no such safety net in Cup wins nor were they playing a team that was supposed to be nearly as strong as they showed.

This level of absolute disregard for preparedness and the utter lack of compete in Game 1 after more than a month to prepare is very very concerning.

2017 level concerning seeing how we are on that year!

The rubber meets the road Saturday.

Even in 17-18 we played a great first game against the Flames before going limp pretty much the whole rest of the way.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I've never had a problem with Canuckle fans. And I don't know how this started. However pretty chickenshit for fan(atic) A to throw beer into the guy's face and chickenshit fan(atic) B retro Canuckle jersey guy to jump him from behind.

Fighting in the stands should be left to NFL games. ;)

Saw a good one at an Arizona Cardinals game right in front of us. The takedown the cop did on the 49er fan was legendary. The Cards needed to sign the police officer.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Tough to watch last night, but maybe the result we needed. We have a team here that is oozing talent and has heard a ton (more than usual) from the media about how amazing they are for the past couple of months. I hope the guys treat this game as a huge, huge wake up call. The media doesn't pick who goes on a deep run in the playoffs!

It's a long season, better to take a huge shit on the ice now than in May/June.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Man I hope not. I saw a couple good shifts from Kane in the first period. Kinda went to shit after that though. At least he wasn’t out there taking stupid frustration penalties when the game got out of hand like some of the leaders were doing. Kane is a proud man and I’ll be looking for him to come out very hard on Saturday.
You know I'm pretty positive on Kane. But the pattern I mention has followed him in his career. Kane was at his best as a Jet early in his stay there. Kane was best as a Shark early on there. Its like he gets complacent or something and falls off being the same player. Plus that he's 32 now. I really think he's done yeoman work here and tried to dial back the clock and be the best he can possibly be. But the injuries he's had, and what they are had to be shocking. To have that kind of life and death event on ice. It sometimes is hard to be just the same after something like that, and how swiftly something like that can occur in this dangerous sport.

I'm probably projecting with the latter because these guys are warriors but That Kane injury was the most disturbing Injury in the NHL last season. A traumatic one for sure. As a team you have to just look the other way on it, not think about it too much, and maybe all the guys manage that all season. But with time off, an offseason, it would be hard not to reflect on something like that ordeal Kane went through. For his teammates as well.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Tough to watch last night, but maybe the result we needed. We have a team here that is oozing talent and has heard a ton (more than usual) from the media about how amazing they are for the past couple of months. I hope the guys treat this game as a huge, huge wake up call. The media doesn't pick who goes on a deep run in the playoffs!

It's a long season, better to take a huge shit on the ice now than in May/June.

I have no doubt that the effort will be better next game.

But with the age of this team. Why do we keep needing learning opportunities? Not sure how much I even blame Woodcroft as this goes back even to the Tippett era. I do wonder about the leadership core of this team. They just seem too arrogant, entitled or something.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Nurse will pretty much be better than Draisaitl, so I don't know what you're expecting.
Not sure what you're saying here. I used to consider myself a Nurse fan and he hasn't brought his play here since Tippett was here. Of any of our D the dropoff in his game relative to what he's supposed to be has been the worst under present coaching staff. Just the presence of Ekholm last season showed how much Nurse wasn't being.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have no doubt that the effort will be better next game.

But with the age of this team. Why do we keep needing learning opportunities? Not sure how much I even blame Woodcroft as this goes back even to the Tippett era. I do wonder about the leadership core of this team. They just seem too arrogant, entitled or something.

There certainly seems to be a strong sense of entitlement to this team. I thought maybe it got beat out of them in the playoff loss to Vegas last season but judging from this game and hearing the post game pressers, this team believes that press clippings, media attention and predictions are some sort of achievement.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure what you're saying here. I used to consider myself a Nurse fan and he hasn't brought his play here since Tippett was here. Of any of our D the dropoff in his game relative to what he's supposed to be has been the worst under present coaching staff. Just the presence of Ekholm last season showed how much Nurse wasn't being.
Nurse is the same brainless player he always was. He was told by his captain not to fight and what did he do? He fought. Staple this contract to Hollands head because it might prevent us from winning a Championship,

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There certainly seems to be a strong sense of entitlement to this team. I thought maybe it got beat out of them in the playoff loss to Vegas last season but judging from this game and hearing the post game pressers, this team believes that press clippings, media attention and predictions are some sort of achievement.

I don't think it's entitlement, I think they truly are still confused about what the formula to produce winning, consistent hockey looks like. The refusal to shoot the puck or simplify in the o-zone, total lack of puck support all over the ice, the dumb penalties, and just the general vibe of the team thinking they can cerebrally skill their way, but not will their way to wins are all indicators of this culture.

I also was foolish enough to think that the playoff experience last year was enough to make them realize that a change to how they approach the game is warranted to take the next step, but I was obviously wrong. This team is built in a way that should allow them to excel by playing simple, quick, up and down the ice hockey, but they just won't do it. It always has to be the hard way, and when the effort level matches the stupidity last night's result is the inevitable outcome.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
I'm not surprised by the reactions in here (HFOil gonna HFOil), but I do think there's a lot of overreaction going on. Definitely a shit effort, particularly for the season opener, but it's 1 game and teams (including contenders) certainly lay eggs throughout the season. Contenders are still losing 20-30 games a year.

If they continue to play like this in the first 10 and go something like 3-7, fire away, but we know they're a good team. The Canucks winning 8-1 doesn't immediately make them Cup contenders, let's see how it plays out beyond game 1. Hard to evaluate anything when essentially the entire team no shows on execution and effort.

If the game was reversed and the Oilers won 8-1 I'm sure we'd be seeing people saying they're going to win 65 games this year.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I have time for a new system not working perfectly to begin a season, but that isn't the problem here. It's the lack of work ethic, this time on an almost unprecedented level even for this group.

In the big picture this group has had problems with work ethic and starting games/seasons on time forever. Major concern about the big picture of this team is more than warranted, especially when they talked all god damn off season about how they weren't going to do this again and actually play properly for the full 82. Then here we are.

They'll still make the playoffs, hell they may still win the Division, but the big picture goal of winning the cup is not possible if they continue to do this. Stanley Cup Champions don't do this in a first game. Ever. Last place teams don't even do this in a first game.

This team is chalked full of notoriously slow learners, but that can't be a thing this time. The A game better be brought on Saturday and then not look back. We're fooling ourselves if we think this will automatically be the case though, because pretty much at no point over the past 7 seasons have they shown that they can learn anything quickly.
McD in his post game talked a fair bit about how the team had started games well, had started seasons well the past number of years.
Well, as the broadcast was mentioning all night this was a very similar start to the first half of game last season.

Its almost carbon copy except for ending. Theres Brown scoring exact same goal on Campbell, theres the Nucks jumping out to a 3-0 lead, theres Drai getting first goal of season and game on the same spot PP snipe.

Pretty clear that this season and last for whatever reason the Oilers have trouble getting their noses in the game in game 1. People were all pumped about the Oilers coming back last year in that game but they did basically on PP. Their EV play that game was not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad