Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Not going to jump to any conclusions, I think the team thinks they can sleepwalk through regular season and make it the playoffs, which I hope they realize is not the case.

One thing I dont get though - why are Avs fan so obsessed w/ the Oilers? Their fans always first to try to troll in every mainboard thread. Some weird Mackinnon - Mcdavid complex?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
McD in his post game talked a fair bit about how the team had started games well, had started seasons well the past number of years.
Well, as the broadcast was mentioning all night this was a very similar start to the first half of game last season.

Its almost carbon copy except for ending. Theres Brown scoring exact same goal on Campbell, theres the Nucks jumping out to a 3-0 lead, theres Drai getting first goal of season and game on the same spot PP snipe.

Pretty clear that this season and last for whatever reason the Oilers have trouble getting their noses in the game in game 1. People were all pumped about the Oilers coming back last year in that game but they did basically on PP. Their EV play that game was not good.

It's a carbon copy so far of the pre-season and the start of the season. Ridiculous penalties in the pre-season that carried into the regular season. Abysmal PK. Lazy, disjointed efforts. Pathetic team defensive zone play. Refusal to shoot or simplify in the o-zone. Go down the list, it's the same thing.

We went 7-3 to start the year, but that was almost in spite of ourselves and we were very lucky to get out of the first 10 with that record.

It took us to about the end of November last year to get all this bullshit out of our system, it can't take that long this year. Change has to start on Saturday.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
84 was best dman.

2, 27, 5 appalling.

91 pouty, 37 too many high risk and failed attempts.

a few bad bounces, thought the fifth was offside? but before that i thought they missed a stoppage for a glove pass?

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
I knew he jumped, but wow, foot off the ice before contact.
Not to mention the 50 strides he took , before the launch.
Why no one pushes back on the rake just burns me .. U ABSOLUTELY cannot let that 150lb pencil , run around acting tough. It made me furious.. that right there ,tells me more about the Coilers , than there defensive shortcomings.

Reactions: oobga

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The team went into this game believing the media hype that they're the cup favorites and decided to put zero effort into the game. Hopefully they learn a lesson from this.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's a carbon copy so far of the pre-season and the start of the season. Ridiculous penalties in the pre-season that carried into the regular season. Abysmal PK. Lazy, disjointed efforts. Pathetic team defensive zone play. Go down the list, it's the same thing.

We went 7-3 to start the year, but that was almost in spite of ourselves and we were very lucky to get out of the first 10 with that record.

It took us to about the end of November last year to get all this bullshit out of our system, it can't take that long this year. Change has to start on Saturday.
The team is arrogant. Thats one of the problems. They believe in themselves lots, and to a point thats good. But this is a cap league with some parity. PLayers and opponents can rise up. The Nucks didn't play this like a regular season, they expended playoff level excitement and jump. They were really dialed in, it happens. But when one team has the jump and yours doesn't it doesn't matter if you are McGod and Leon the professional.

Haven't mentioned this but teams are going to be making more adjustments against the Oilers this season. its what happens when teams are much more familiar and more game film in the box. The Oilers go to similar wells a lot in scoring, and the Oilers aren't regularly the best team on ice in EV play. We have a killer PP but teams are seeing ways to at least try to slow it down. Need to be a better team EV this season.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Not going to jump to any conclusions, I think the team thinks they can sleepwalk through regular season and make it the playoffs, which I hope they realize is not the case.

One thing I dont get though - why are Avs fan so obsessed w/ the Oilers? Their fans always first to try to troll in every mainboard thread. Some weird Mackinnon - Mcdavid complex?

It's just the mains in general. All those typical mouth breathers ranging from leafs, flames, and av fans that we see ragging on the Oilers every year posted their annual nonsense in that McDavid main thread. McDavid's an apparent 'pad statter' according to those morons, lmao. I would be salty too if McDavid feasted on my team every year.
Them overreacting when its only just the 1st game of the season isn't shocking.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The team is arrogant. Thats one of the problems. They believe in themselves lots, and to a point thats good. But this is a cap league with some parity. PLayers and opponents can rise up. The Nucks didn't play this like a regular season, they expended playoff level excitement and jump. They were really dialed in, it happens. But when one team has the jump and yours doesn't it doesn't matter if you are McGod and Leon the professional.

Haven't mentioned this but teams are going to be making more adjustments against the Oilers this season. its what happens when teams are much more familiar and more game film in the box. The Oilers go to similar wells a lot in scoring, and the Oilers aren't regularly the best team on ice in EV play. We have a killer PP but teams are seeing ways to at least try to slow it down. Need to be a better team EV this season.
I’d like to see one more game but I actually don’t know if I like the top two lines. Not exactly sure what I would do, but I do wonder if we need more balance through all 3 lines.

We need to be way stronger 5v5 for the talent we have. Can’t just be pp gods. Push the game when it’s even strength

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’d like to see one more game but I actually don’t know if I like the top two lines. Not exactly sure what I would do, but I do wonder if we need more balance through all 3 lines.

We need to be way stronger 5v5 for the talent we have. Can’t just be pp gods. Push the game when it’s even strength
It’s way harder to score fancy goals when it’s 5on5 though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It was an embarassing effort last night but there is some over-reaction on this site as well.

The Oilers are a good team but they must have the maturity to realize that other teams around the league don't care what the Las Vegas bookies have to say about who is going to win the cup.

32 teams think that they have a good chance of winning it and that means that with fierce competition most nights you have to outwork your opponent even if you have the best player in the World.

Its largely about mental maturity and not physical ability. The Oilers have the latter but I often wonder about the former. I think its still an issue that needs to be resolved.

Reactions: Balakay14

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Vancouver looked much improved defensively and really clogged things up. The Oilers have to wake up defensively, that was rough. Never has that Ekholm trade looked better.
They didn't even have their whole D lineup. I don't know whether it was a one off or the Oilers quit, which is not good. We never have proper structure. I say it every year. Teams like Vancouver, Calgary always look like they know what they are doing. We looked lost. Woody will fix that though....

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Oh man we are never going to win anything with these Dmen. 200 feet of awful lol

Woodcroft sucked too. The other team was way better prepared. The idea that every oiler couldn't get up for the first game is ridiculous. Our whole team was playing jazz tonight

People blaming Campbell are so wrong by my eyes. He was pretty good tonight and his team let him down.
I couldn't fault him on any of the goals.. I thought he was sharp, and made the saves he had too.
The goals he let in were very fortunate IMO. The first one, Garland gets lucky in fielding it clean and getting it up over his pad at the same time, all the Boeser goals were so flukey..
His first shot hits Nurses stick and goes up over Cambells shoulder. The other 2 were devine intervention.. And his 4th goal on Skinner, you don't even see that kind of flukey luck in beer league.

Dumb selfish things.
Collects a paycheck for double what hes actually worth .

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Rewatching the goals against so I can assign blame :D. Man so many things went bad last night. Couldn’t script a worse game on so many levels.

1st goal on Kulak but not really. Just wonder if a true top pair playing against Vancouvers top line might have picked that puck out of the air. Nice play by Nucks.

2nd goal on Bouch. He had an option to pass it to Kane who covered Nurses pinch properly, he decided to turn the other way to where a Canuck was actually standing, then proceeded to get shoved off the puck easily and cough it up. Tic tac goal.

3rd goal was on Brown for missed coverage that left Hronek open for a clean look. Oilers including McD got back and covered 3 on 3. Brown caught puck watching and Hronek slides in to make a 4 on 3. Brown knew it too and slashed the boards after in disgust.

4th goal was a tough bounce but I’d put it on Campbell. He had his pad down and lifted it as the deflection came in. A calmer and more sound goalie may have had that I think.

5th goal on Skinner. I mean he was screened but that was a bit of muffin incoming.

6th goal is a bad bounce but also on Broberg. You can see him even try to direct traffic, he’s pointing out a cross crease chance with his hands, then he goes to the wrong spot leaving Boeser open.

7th gool nice shot but saveable. It’d put it on Skinner.

8th goal a bad pinch on Nurse leads to a potential 2 on 1 but Mcleod has Nurse covered. Except Mcleod gets outmuscled and loses a bit of foot race to …. Sam Lafferty who then still scores on the 2 on 1.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Total reform to the was we play in the o-zone 5v5 is a requirement IMO and a lot of the problems start there.

I touched on it last night, but teams that overwhelm other teams 5v5 are playing a speed game with fast north-south shooting and passing that throws defenders out of position. We play so "methodically" (a nice way of saying slow/lazy) that we basically allow the other team to set up in their zone and then close on the puck carrier.

Enter the zone, stop on the wall, get checked off the puck. Then swing it low for the player in the corner to have to battle for, or throw it high for the d man to also sit on it/turn it over. Rinse and repeat. Even the odd time they do establish a cycle, they work it around the zone, don't shoot, then habitually look for the tap in pass rather than shoot and create chaos.

We have the exact group of players to excel in a system that prioritizes shooting and driving the net, but we just won't do it and it is f***ing frustrating to watch. We have the guys that can drive in with speed and shoot (McDavid/Leon), the guys to crash the net and score net front goals (Kane, Brown, Hyman) and even have kind of a clean up player that can make plays off rebounds in the slot (RNH). All wasted because we prefer to stop on the wall and hope that magically ripping it up and down the boards will just work.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
That contract so obviously in the worst interest of the player. Holland couldn’t convince him to take less?
Unless you condider that Lavoie is not assured an NHL career. This year on a one-way deal at almost $900K USD is a mini lottery win in the short term. His agent probably advised that as long as Raph plays well in the A, injuries will happen and he will get an NHL shot. If he does well, great. If not, at least he has that short term cash and the skill to play a long time for decent $ in Europe - just not in the $900k USD territory.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
1697128085214.png

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It’s way harder to score fancy goals when it’s 5on5 though.

Thats kind the problem with the way they play. They love to pass the puck into the net and score on fancy goals. They kind of need the most talent in the top 2 lines for that to be effective. If they try and spread the wealth around to make 3 lines (with 2 key forwards on each line), its tougher to score with the way they play. With the forwards we have, it would of been nice to at least try and run a more balanced top 9. But I think theres a lot of stubborness going on.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad