Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Obviously I would've preferred a win but there is a part of me that is glad they got embarrassed. I don't really know why but I think an 8-1 blowout is better in the long run than a 3-2 hard fought loss.

This is what I think too.

Traditionally dog shit efforts are saved by a PP that puts a bunch of goals in the net that allow the team to somewhat save face and give a reason to say it's not actually that bad.

Reactions: jeffff

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Fire Woody stuff is laughable.

I usually don't expect rational behavior on HFOil but after Game 1 to call for his firing is ridiculous even for HFOil standards.

I say this as somebody who sees some flaws in his approach, like pretty every other coach in the league has that fanbases complain about. Don't believe me? Check the Bruins board 2 years ago in regards to freshly Stanley Cup winner Bruce Cassidy.
Not sure who is saying to Fire Woody. I wouldn't have maintained him for the gig. Its also clear, indisputable really that Manson isn't helping the D on this club one iota. The only D that has shown any improvement, at all, in any area of work, is Booch. But even moreso since the team acquired Ekholm, and I would posit that improvement as having more to do with Ekholm.

The team looked uncoached last night. That isn't a mirage. Thats how Woody had them prepared. People seem to forget as well that the team started last season exactly the same laying an egg all over for first half of game and that one was a home opener.

Not sure how theres any comparison between Woody and Cassidy who ran Woodys schemes into the ground last playoffs. Woody isn't inexperienced in coaching either. he isn't at the point where he should be getting completely schooled every way possible. Last night it was Tocchet force feeding him his lunch.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not that it’s any consolation, but the back to back SC champion Pens lost their second game of the season in 2017 to the Hawks 10–1. So crazy stuff does happen. As long as it’s a one off, which I expect it will be.
The keys to that statement though, is that you're talking about a "back to back" SC champs, so entirely reasonable for them to relax a bit and play a stinker, so they can get a pass. And the Hawks still had a pretty decent team, having won the cup prior to the Pens. We just got smoked by a team that was a lottery group last year and has been a shit team for the last 5 years or so. The Oilers have won SFA, and supposedly came into this start hungry and motivated as all hell. If they don't come out with their hair on fire on Saturday, I would be genuinely concerned.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
We were the Nucks bitches. Good thing we're not going to miss the likes of Kostin and Bjugstad and haven't replaced either of them.

3 things. Negotiating contracts/hiring the right agent, Cashing checks and playing well under his pay scale.

You are not alone. Ceci is at best a 3rd pairing guy IMO. Bouchard is a skilled but flawed player that needs a rock beside him. We have 1 rock and 1 offensive defenseman on this team, keep them together when Ekholm returns and let the rest sink on their own until/unless we can add a solid RH defensive D.

Maybe we shouldn't have played so many AHL lifers forever when we apparently knew what our opening night roster was going to be anyway? Maybe playing our players and their actual lines together at least 4 games of the preseason would've gotten them more prepared than the abortion that we saw last night?

Was the same BS last year. Lets keep them up till the last game. The whole 'these guys put effort so let's give them some playing time' BS

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Campbell made many really good saves. The defense left him out to dry whether it be poor reads and coverage or not protecting the front of the net and allowing the Nucks to get to every rebound. IMO he looked better than Skinner.
Skinner looked like he did in preseason, slow to react and a little lost. That said with how the team played as a whole, can’t really blame any of the players specifically.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Campbell made many really good saves. The defense left him out to dry whether it be poor reads and coverage or not protecting the front of the net and allowing the Nucks to get to every rebound. IMO he looked better than Skinner.
I disagree. In both of their times in Edmonton ever since Campbell got here, Skinner has shown more. Until Campbell actually steals a game or two like Skinner did last year, I won't have faith in him.

It's cool if everyone else does. I want Campbell to succeed as well but he's not showing it yet. 2 or 3 good preseason games doesn't change that

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The defense is getting ripped apart for it's performance and rightfully so but both goalies sucked also. Neither one made a single difficult save all night. Demko on the other end of the ice was making them all game long.

The bar for our goaltending is way, way too low for some of you.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I dont think hes necessarily wrong. But the comment doesnt read like he watched the game. Not great for Campbell though, the media is already putting him out to pasture. Majority of the goals not really his fault but the team infront of him set him up for failure.
Then, in his next start, he should come out and play really good, win or loss. That will change the mindset

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For all we know he or his agent don't mind the thought of landing somewhere else in a 32 team league. As fans we tend to think it’s all about here. Thats not always the case. Sometimes a player or agent may feel that there would be better opportunity elsewhere. Not saying its the case..

You’re probably right. Lavoie should definitely have more loyalty to himself and his career than to the Oilers. I think it’s safe to assume this is the case. That being said, whether it’s here or another team he still signed a cap hit number that lowers his chances of making any team in this flat cap.[/QUOTE]

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We’re sposed to believe Button watched the Oilers game instead of jacking off to the Flames last night?
No clue but I think I'll take his word on Campbell over what he did in some meaningless preseason games. You don't have to lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Obviously I would've preferred a win but there is a part of me that is glad they got embarrassed. I don't really know why but I think an 8-1 blowout is better in the long run than a 3-2 hard fought loss.
I think a blowout loss is good for a team. It embarrasses them and forces them to do better.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree. In both of their times in Edmonton ever since Campbell got here, Skinner has shown more. Until Campbell actually steals a game or two like Skinner did last year, I won't have faith in him.

It's cool if everyone else does. I want Campbell to succeed as well but he's not showing it yet. 2 or 3 good preseason games doesn't change that
He wasn’t talking about last year. He was talking about last night. And it’s goalies they are up and down. Campbell looked good like a season or two ago. Skinner look pretty good for a lot of last year and has been awful since the playoffs.

Looking what a goalie did last year honestly doesn’t affect how they will do this year unless you are talking about the top tier goalie.

No clue but I think I'll take his word on Campbell over what he did in some meaningless preseason games. You don't have to lol
You will take the word of someone who didn’t even watch the game?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The defense is getting ripped apart for it's performance and rightfully so but both goalies sucked also. Neither one made a single difficult save all night. Demko on the other end of the ice was making them all game long.

No we just understand how much atrocious defence affects goaltending.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Then, in his next start, he should come out and play really good, win or loss. That will change the mindset
It’s true. Skinner could also try making a good save. It’s been a while since he has done that too.

Neither goalie is great, you play the one who looks better in the moment.

I think the problem is, is we have people literally saying that if a different goalie played we would have somehow won. Both goalies played bad, but it wasn’t their fault we lost. It was a full team loss. Goalies could have made an extra save or two, the defence could at least try to look competent and the forwards could stop trying to pass into the net

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How was Campbell supposed to stop any of those goals.

The Garland goal was an amazing pass from Peterson and bad read from Kulak.

The first Boeser goal he was left wide open and picked the top corner.

The second Boeser goal he was behind the D and had an easy tap in after Campbell made multiple saves.

The third Boeser goal was just a fluke deflection.

2 of the 4 goals Skinner let in were stoppable except for the screened Peterson goal and Broberg decides no to abandon his position for Boesers 4th goal.

The offence didn’t help either with Demko maybe forced to make 2 good saves all game.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think a blowout loss is good for a team. It embarrasses them and forces them to do better.
Overcoming hardship is a standard narrative for championship teams. Repeating the same mistakes over and over is usually the standard narrative for the team that lost to the championship team.

Be careful you don’t confuse overcoming hardship with repeating mistakes.

Last night’s game in my opinion, is not an example of a hardship to be overcome. This isn’t the first game, period, series (2020 play-ins vs Chicago anyone?) that they cant get ready for from the start. That’s is why this is so frustrating.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I turned it off after the 2nd. I was gonna say on a different night that’s a 2-3 or 2-4 game going into the third. Canucks got some bounces that usually come from some hard work but usually don’t end up on goals. We had chances but they didn’t end up in the net.

It seems like the oilers of last year where we would show up late to games. Except this time we didn’t.

I think that’s when Woodcroft says things like he doesn’t know it’s because it’s hard to really take anything out of that other then our effort was pitiful.

I expect a much much better showing on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad