Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This is all Tony's fault. I noticed in his oilers preview video he left his beard longer than usual

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have time for a new system not working perfectly to begin a season, but that isn't the problem here. It's the lack of work ethic, this time on an almost unprecedented level even for this group.

In the big picture this group has had problems with work ethic and starting games/seasons on time forever. Major concern about the big picture of this team is more than warranted, especially when they talked all god damn off season about how they weren't going to do this again and actually play properly for the full 82. Then here we are.

They'll still make the playoffs, hell they may still win the Division, but the big picture goal of winning the cup is not possible if they continue to do this. Stanley Cup Champions don't do this in a first game. Ever. Last place teams don't even do this in a first game.

This team is chalked full of notoriously slow learners, but that can't be a thing this time. The A game better be brought on Saturday and then not look back. We're fooling ourselves if we think this will automatically be the case though, because pretty much at no point over the past 7 seasons have they shown that they can learn anything quickly.
I think it was more a confusion issue than a work ethic issue although, yes, that was an issue too. Learning the new system, three D pairings and forward lines that have never played together was bound to hit some bumps in the road. Guys just seemed out of position all game long. Not to excuse 8-1 because that's just beyond unacceptable but I think it's a one off.

I don't seem them winning a Cup with this current roster regardless and was miffed at so many experts placing them as Cup favorites and ignoring a team like Vegas for example. This defense/goaltending combo just won't cut it in terms of surviving a true Cup grind. The goaltending isn't changing so the defense will have to be upgraded.
For now, this is still a good team that should figure it out so I'm just going to chalk this game up to being "one of those games" and move on.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You’re gonna hurt some people’s feelings talking like that. It’s a tad bit too old school.

;)

Actually, I love though that they have to be at WEM today for the fan autograph session. For players after that lack of effort last night, it might be a worse thing to have to face face than a bucket skate.
Forgot all about it. Yeah, whats to make of that. Team knows it can't be bag skated, just get tired signing autographs but I can't imagine wanting to do any of that after laying a coiler on the ice in Vancouver.

Really I'm not inclined anyway but I wouldn't even want their autograph today. heh. I wonder if any kids in the crowd are hecklers. ;)

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
that was horrible in every single aspect, top to bottom. Not going to panic yet, but Saturday night is going to tell us a lot about this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think it was more a confusion issue than a work ethic issue although, yes, that was an issue too. Learning the new system, three D pairings and forward lines that have never played together was bound to hit some bumps in the road. Guys just seemed out of position all game long. Not to excuse 8-1 because that's just beyond unacceptable but I think it's a one off.

I don't seem them winning a Cup with this current roster regardless and was miffed at so many experts placing them as Cup favorites and ignoring a team like Vegas for example. This defense/goaltending combo just won't cut it in terms of surviving a true Cup grind. The goaltending isn't changing so the defense will have to be upgraded.
For now, this is still a good team that should figure it out so I'm just going to chalk this game up to being "one of those games" and move on.
Nucks due to flu and lineup issues had about half a dozen players that are brand new to the NHL, not just to being on a particular line. Not that you're excusing it, and I agree.

While we all try to not make too much of something like last night it is tellign just the same, and I at no point in offseason figured this was going to be the Championship fave dream team the press and pundits were talking about. To some degree its an on paper team, which is different than being a team with all the right ingredients. In an EA type world people get seduced by name players. I'd like a few more meat and potato players and was consistent with that view.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nurse continues to play like a bonehead.

Ceci continues to ignore the forwards, skate it up from his own end and dump it from center

Chip and chase, not alot of imagination on breakouts

Chip to clear zone even with limited pressure.

RNH playing like grinder

I was hard on Larsson, but man has Larsson to Ceci ever been a large downgrade for the Oilers.

Bouchard is also *defensively* a downgrade even on Barrie. This guy is a no.6 D-Man, just because you can pick up McGravy points on a PP doesn't mean you can actually defend.

They should have just paid out the ass to move up the draft and take Seider instead of taking freaking Broberg. What an epic fail of a pick that looks like.

Reactions: Messrules11

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
lol, Klefbom's last game with us was three years ago and his injury issues were well known even before that. That's also no excuse to stake the future of his defense on Brett Kulak and Cody Ceci (to say nothing of the disastrous Nurse contract). Yet another mess Jeff Jackson will need the rest of McDrai's tenure to fix, and by then it will much too late.
Yeah if we can’t extend McDrai we probably don’t win a Cup. This year is huge, Drai will be an impending UFA after this year, that could be the end of this era.

Kinda hard to rejig the team in such a small window. Should have made some changes this off season..

Top 4D is hugely needed, we need a better goalie and we need some penalty killers, ideally a 4C, shouldn’t be that hard to find that type of player. Freaking Lafferty was acquired for a 5th! If it just takes late picks then get going Kenny, or retire and gtfo out of the way man

Reactions: puckguy97

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure who is saying to Fire Woody. I wouldn't have maintained him for the gig. Its also clear, indisputable really that Manson isn't helping the D on this club one iota. The only D that has shown any improvement, at all, in any area of work, is Booch. But even moreso since the team acquired Ekholm, and I would posit that improvement as having more to do with Ekholm.

The team looked uncoached last night. That isn't a mirage. Thats how Woody had them prepared. People seem to forget as well that the team started last season exactly the same laying an egg all over for first half of game and that one was a home opener.

Not sure how theres any comparison between Woody and Cassidy who ran Woodys schemes into the ground last playoffs. Woody isn't inexperienced in coaching either. he isn't at the point where he should be getting completely schooled every way possible. Last night it was Tocchet force feeding him his lunch.
The Oilers were one of the better defensive teams in the league after the Ekholm addition, top 10 I believe. A lot of that is due to Ekholm certainly but Ekholm still needs to buy in to the system as well. The playoffs were a struggle at times because, look at their personnel. The system was flawed no doubt but it's not all on coaching when you have Ceci on a top pairing and an AHLer and rookie as your #6/#7.

I only brought up the Cassidy example as a coach that was torn to shreds by his fanbase then went on to win a Cup. Every single fanbase complains about their coach as much as we do or at least most of them do, even the top coaches. I also remember when Tampa fans wanted Cooper fired when they couldn't get over the hump complaining about his systems and deployments, remember it very well.

I'm not saying that Woody isn't immune to criticism and doesn't come without flaws but there's also a reality that he's led this team to, I believe the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league since he took over, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong, so the results have been good since he became coach. They haven't reached their ultimate goal and last night undoubtedly sucked ass but I think he deserves more rope to see how this new system works out.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nurse continues to play like a bonehead.

Ceci continues to ignore the forwards, skate it up from his own end and dump it from center

Chip and chase, not alot of imagination on breakouts

Chip to clear zone even with limited pressure.

RNH playing like grinder
Ceci is so ass with the puck it’s almost unbelievable. Couple that with him just standing in front of the net and watching players bang home rebounds and he’s pretty much useless.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Oilers were one of the better defensive teams in the league after the Ekholm addition, top 10 I believe. A lot of that is due to Ekholm certainly but Ekholm still needs to buy in to the system as well. The playoffs were a struggle at times because, look at their personnel. The system was flawed no doubt but it's not all on coaching when you have Ceci on a top pairing and an AHLer and rookie as your #6/#7.

I only brought up the Cassidy example as a coach that was torn to shreds by his fanbase then went on to win a Cup. Every single fanbase complains about their coach as much as we do or at least most of them do, even the top coaches. I also remember when Tampa fans wanted Cooper fired when they couldn't get over the hump complaining about his systems and deployments, remember it very well.

I'm not saying that Woody isn't immune to criticism and doesn't come without flaws but there's also a reality that he's led this team to, I believe the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league since he took over, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong, so the results have been good since he became coach. They haven't reached their ultimate goal and last night undoubtedly sucked ass but I think he deserves more rope to see how this new system works out.
Regular season results with the kind of core we have, and how much we squeeze out of the two best forwards on Earth is a given. The team on a lot of nights can win just on trick shots. On pure filthy skill. This isnt as often a team that wins on very solid EV habits.

I'll maintain that in a 32 team league the only time that coaching is outed is in playoffs or first games of season when opponents will specifically practice and focus on one team and how to play them. Woody fails at that and has a 8-8 playoff coaching record with McDrai in prime and the two best teams the Oilers have had since the 80's.

Bruins fanbase and the whole org have some really weird opinions. In the case of the fanbase its a youngish university town kind of base. I couldn't spend 1 week in Boston. Just something offputting about the attitudes. Boston Strong! Seem full of themselves.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
oh ya, Cody Ceci in the top 4 means this is not a championship calibre defense
when Vinny D is your best defender last night, you've got major problems
Vinny played better than Nurse
What does Nurse actually do that's really effective
Every year I say Nurse has to add some weight get stronger
And he doesnt

Reactions: Oilhawks

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Big nothing burger like usual. Isn't VAN the team that's lost like 100 home openers in a row? Not much of a surprise they would come out blasting one of these years. Team just didn't show up.

Go back to Soup (actually thought he played fine outside of the awful first goal he didn't challenge) for our home opener and hope the team actually shows up. Personally, I'm glad it ended 8-1 instead of like 4-2 or something, embarrassing effort deserves to be embarrassed, not hang around and eek out a respectable score line.

At the end of the day, these teams will regress exactly where they are supposed too. Canucks with 92 points in 9th, and us 2nd in the divison playing LA in the first round.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Woodcroft on Ekholm - "He had another good day."

So he's out a month? Why can't he tell us if he's going to play or not

Reactions: Duke74

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No clue but I think I'll take his word on Campbell over what he did in some meaningless preseason games. You don't have to lol
1 regular season game. He made some difficult saves. His team shit the bed in front of him and then Stu. Based on last night's game McDavid and Draisaitl aren't the best players in the league. Campbell should get the next start and the team had damn well better show up in front of him.

Reactions: harpoon

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
lol, Klefbom's last game with us was three years ago and his injury issues were well known even before that. That's also no excuse to stake the future of his defense on Brett Kulak and Cody Ceci (to say nothing of the disastrous Nurse contract). Yet another mess Jeff Jackson will need the rest of McDrai's tenure to fix, and by then it will much too late.
so? is Holland supposed to know his injuries would be career ending?

the defensive corps isn't as bad as it seems....they were 9th in the league in GA after Ekholm arrived

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
absolutely brutal game no one was going at all. Both goalies were hung out to dry but didn’t themselves any favors either. But it’s just one game I expect a blowout the other way on Saturday. Van was ready and did exactly what they needed to shut us down now it’s our turn to adapt let’s see what Saturday brings.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
We aren't strong 5v5 because we have guys who refuse to play defense well. People harp on McDavid for his d play but Draisaitls goals against are worse than McDavids away from eachother by a lot. He really needs to figure out his shit in the d zone. The issue with them together is it seems to infect McDavid to do the same. Both are too skilled to sit back and cherry pick. Both are MORE than capable at being a factor defensively but they simply choose not to. And when you see your leaders like that, it sets a massively bad example. Sure the bottom 6 can be better defensively but they aren't the ones playing against the stars. Our top guys produce the most offense but allow the most goals against and it often sets the tone. When you captain is doing a fly by and trying to cheat for offense it really is shit to see.
I would tend to agree. Most elite players, when they figured out that playing good d actually leads to good offense, became the complete player that is needed

In general Drai and McDavid take too many nights off in the d zone. This needs to change asap. We need to care less about being 1-2 in nhl points leaders. Time to make it about having a complete game

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think its the same though. Connor isn't Sid. As brilliant as McD is in so many aspects of hockey, on ice play and creating and producing theres this feeling I have that some facets he isn't on top of. Sidney is a Mr. Hockey type generalist. Does everything fairly well. A better version of Kopitar when in prime.

McD is more the offensive force that has never really been stellar in 200ft player. so that Connors notion of what constitutes a fine or perfect linemate may be limited.

One of the interesting things is we haven't seen Connor on a lot of other teams, we don't know what it looks like. With Crosby he was the same win first guy on a team whether it be Pens or Team Canada's.

With McD, as much as he states he wants to win it all his actual play often resembles wanting to blow the doors off the league in the scoring race. I'd take less pts and more 200ft play from both McDrai.

Yeah I have some concerns with Kane now. -4 wasn't a good showing for sure. But he didn't do much at either end of the ice.

McDavid is just a really impressive offensive player. Hes probably the best offensive player since Lemieux/Gretzky.

Crosby is a better all around player.

I think McDavid is different in a few areas. One is obviously his defensive game. We hear the rumours that he hates being scored on and while his defensive game has improved, I think it could be much better if he wanted it to. I think hes just too wired offensively to really be able to change his defensive game (much) more than he has.

I think the other thing that suffers is his leadership. McDavid strikes me more as a lead by example type than a sit down and give advice type. McDavid is no doubt driven and I am sure he is a fiend with how hard he works off the ice and his habits off the ice. Some of these traits are probably inspiring with his drive and how hard he works. But when you have this insane talent from a speed point of view, I dont know how well that translates into a lead by example. Its not like a bottom 6 (or even a top 6) player can watch him play and be like "I'm going to work hard so I can skate like that". And then you combine it with his lack of defensive play at times, and its not really leading by example. Where as Crosby works his butt off, plays a more rounded game. Its much easier for another player to watch him play and then go and bust their butt.

I think McDavid is also just much more intense. Like Crosby he has a gift, where theres probably a ton of other players who look upto him. But I generally get the impression that hes not really the type to make other guys feel included with warm fuzzy feelings like Crosby probably does.

Last edited:

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Woodcroft on Ekholm - "He had another good day."

So he's out a month? Why can't he tell us if he's going to play or not
Because it likely is truly day-to-day. I'm guessing he skates on Saturday and they decide from there.

From what's been said I think it's just a pain thing at this point, and if it were playoffs Ekholm is playing, but since it's game 2 of 82, better to let it fully heal up instead of reaggravating it into something worse.

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
So the team arrives in Edmonton early to make sure that they are ready to start the season.
Then in the first game of the season they go out and get their asses handed to them by a non playoff team.
As I posted earlier. They were....

out hit
out worked
out chanced
out goaltended

That was a pathetic effort form the defence. Nurse...the leader of this defence (when the real leader isnt in the lineup) was hot garbage. He has the 'skate into no mans land and screen the goalie thing' down to a science. When Ekholm is out Nurse needs to step up...not regress.
Broberg and Bouchard werent much better.
A fine example of what the defence looks like without Ekholm.

Campbells rebound control is not very good. I am not blaming him for this loss but I have no confidence in his ability to lock things down.

As for Vancouver...they didnt give the Oilers much at all. Excellent body position in their own zone...very good sticks which took away passing lanes. Very solid on the forecheck.
Tochett is a very good coach and it showed as he had full buy in.

Woody on the other hand....had a team on the ice that thought they could just show up and win a game.
They should be completely humbled because the Canucks embarrassed them tonight.
Ekholm had better be in the lineup on Saturday or this team could very well drop another one.
were you a coach or player? excellent analysis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad