Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
good enough for what? a Cup
well no shit, Holland needs to find a top 4 RH defenseman

this group is still good enough to be an elite team IMO

They need a D as good as Ekholm and smarter than Nurse. Not just a random RD. It's going to have be a very significant upgrade.

And even then there's no guarantee of anything, this goaltending tandem could very easily just tank them again as they've proven nothing.

The D did neither Soup or Skinner any favors last night, but one would be lying if they said you couldn't see a clear as day difference between those two and Demko, who is an actual no.1, even when he was half dying on the ice he was still noticeably way better than our tandem (robbing Draisaitl on a semi break away, shutting down several close chances).

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I personally didn't like McDavid whining about the loss during post game comments. I think that was weak and only losers dig for excuses for a pathetic performance. Anyhow; hopefully they wake the Fook up and play like a bloody team.

Reactions: rdogg and harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know this and I know this, but seemingly no one else does. Since Woodcroft was hired, the Oilers are the 2nd best team in the NHL (and have three playoff series wins).

The last time they were the 2nd best team over 1.5 seasons was in 1987.

But let's fire him!
Woodcrofts first full season the team was 7th in the league. We beat a team coming out of a rebuild twice and Calgary got cocky and imploded. He has been badly outcoached in all playoff series we have played outside the Calgary one. We beat LA twice by simply being the better team and got spanked by Vegas and Colorado. He is a good regular season coach maybe but he gets dismantled in a 7 game series.

He maybe shouldn’t be fired but Manson should be.

Woody has one adjustment in game. Put McDrai together. That’s it. I was a massive Woodcroft fan till I watched both playoffs and a full year of him.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Woodcrofts first full season the team was 7th in the league. We beat a team coming out of a rebuild twice and Calgary got cocky and imploded. He has been badly outcoached in all playoff series we have played outside the Calgary one. We beat LA twice by simply being the better team and got spanked by Vegas and Colorado. He is a good regular season coach maybe but he gets dismantled in a 7 game series.

He maybe shouldn’t be fired but Manson should be.

Woody has one adjustment in game. Put McDrai together. That’s it. I was a massive Woodcroft fan till I watched both playoffs and a full year of him.
I’ve been a massive Woodcroft fan too but he’s losing his shine a little. I’m not ready to fire him just yet, if we’re out of the playoffs a month from now then see ya.

But I do agree, he is failing to prepare this team for big games. The defense is simply not good enough, not even average for playoff teams. Whether that’s Woodcroft or Manson, it’s ultimately up to Woody to figure it out.

When we hired Woody my only concern was he’s TOO nice and positive. Like 95% of the time that’s awesome, but when the teams needs a massive wake up call it can’t be all sunshine and daisies.

I also originally thought he would be a bit more creative and willing to adjust, unlike TMac and Tippett. But he can be stubborn too, refusing the start Campbell may have cost us in the playoffs, like at a certain point why not try something different to get some different results?

Overall his record speaks for itself, but he needs to get better and I really wish he would because he’s got potential to be a truly great coach.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's easier to exert your will in the 2nd half of the season, sure.

You have 1/3 to half the league that already knows they have little/no chance at the playoffs and are already mentally on summer vacation. They've already lost a ton of games and just want to get the season over it.

Then you have the top teams like Colorado, Vegas, etc. but they're not really going HAM either because they are secure in knowing they're going to be in the playoffs so it's like they don't much to prove against us, we have the onus on us to be more motivated to beat them because they knocked us out of the playoffs.

Woody had a chance to show he learned some defensive schemes last playoffs and he failed that test miserably.

Team is the same ol', same ol' by the end of the playoffs, they're always a defensive tire fire with a goalie that looks like swiss cheese.
So the Oilers are the only team that tries to win in the second half :laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No we didn’t
Offense isn’t the problem
We did though? Bjugstad, Yamamoto, Kostin out, Brown in. You know forwards do more than just score right? Our forward group is weaker overall. Our standings will be entirely dependent on our goaltending.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I personally didn't like McDavid whining about the loss during post game comments. I think that was weak and only losers dig for excuses for a pathetic performance. Anyhow; hopefully they wake the Fook up and play like a bloody team.
He didn't give excuses, he just said that he didn't like how the Canucks conducted themselves. I agree with that, however the wait won't be long to take them on in round 2 so f***ing do something about it.

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again, the offense is not the problem
It has always and forever been defense
Again. Forwards don’t just play offense. They play defence. You get that right? We weren’t a top 5 team last year and we are worse than a team that was a top 5 team for like a month and a half.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The difference between the good teams and the elite teams are usually the bottom guys on the roster, yes. How is that even a question?
The deeper the team the better. We have at best 3 good lines. You need 4 solid lines and 6 solid D to have a chance to lift the cup. Yesterday we were using Drai and to a lesser extent Connor on the PK in a blowout game.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
wrong
the top 5 teams last year were all in the Top 10 in GA

the Oilers were 17th

what good is depth if you can't keep the puck out of your net
Depth. Helps. With. That.

You are the one arguing that we can easily be an elite team this year
There is multiple ways to keep the puck out of your net, staying in the ozone is one of them

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I have the flu and woke from a fever dream where the Canucks beat the Oilers 6-4 on Saturday. Hopefully not true... but I'll be buying lottery tickets next week if that result turns out correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad