Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well by the Nucks who were battling the flu makes it that much worse.

I agree it's just one game. However, they are showing the same type of weakness that has hurt them in the past. Listened/read quite a few people's takes on the game from trusted media personnel. And the biggest thing is once again this isn't a one player is going to fix it all. This team has been plagued by team defense for far too many years. Which is funny because all those years where we lacked fire power we had a team that was committed to playing team defense because they had no other choice. This team still has the mentality that they can out score their defensive issues and until that changes we won't be a championship team.

I also don't know that championship teams lose by 7

Have to agree. Its one game. So a lot of people including myself are overacting. But lets see what the team is in like 10-15 games. I hope its not the same old dance for this team as previous seasons. I think the Oilers are a good team, dont get me wrong. But some things need to change for this team to take it to another level.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Have to agree. Its one game. So a lot of people including myself are overacting. But lets see what the team is in like 10-15 games. I hope its not the same old dance for this team as previous seasons. I think the Oilers are a good team, dont get me wrong. But some things need to change for this team to take it to another level.
I'm not really over reacting IMO. It's one game and move on, but unlike many I don't have this team as a cup contender.

The team's inability to come prepared and play a full 60 minutes has hampered them for years.

Like I said I'll need a good stretch of games before they change my mind. Who knows maybe this one game will be the wake up call to get them to smarten up, but we saw this far too much in the past.

Reactions: Tube Skates

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I wonder how much hockey players as a whole study systems?
You basically don't play in the NFL if you don't know your assignments thru and thru.
Seems hockey in general excuses players for not knowing new schemes and systems

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not really over reacting IMO. It's one game and move on, but unlike many I don't have this team as a cup contender.

The team's inability to come prepared and play a full 60 minutes has hampered them for years.

Like I said I'll need a good stretch of games before they change my mind. Who knows maybe this one game will be the wake up call to get them to smarten up, but we saw this far too much in the past.
I don't know, they lost one game in the final 2.5 months of the season last year. But definitely agree that the first game this year was shocking. If that effort isn't completely out of their system by game 2, we might have a problem, because that was so far below expectations.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Sorry I didnt really mean to say you specifically are overreacting. I was just talking more in generalities (because lots of people are saying people are overeacting). I think your post is pretty level headed personally.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You basically don't play in the NFL if you don't know your assignments thru and thru.
The messed up thing you listen to any coach or player(past or present) talk about systems and they really aren't all that much different to learn.

Football you have morons that can figure out a 100 different plays and how to make a quick audible on the fly when the offense/defense is showing something different. Yet NHLers struggle to figure out systems?

Sorry I didnt really mean to say you specifically are overreacting. I was just talking more in generalities (because lots of people are saying people are overeacting). I think your post is pretty level headed personally.
It's only 8am wait til I have a few beer and I'll tell you how I really feel :laugh:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't know, they lost one game in the final 2.5 months of the season last year. But definitely agree that the first game this year was shocking. If that effort isn't completely out of their system by game 2, we might have a problem, because that was so far below expectations.

They were very good after new years. And then they were great after the trade deadline.

The team (in the past) seem to take forever to get going and play well consistently. And we always seem to flounder in December. Team doesnt seem to hit their stride until the new year. And the way the playoffs went, we saw a complete mish mash of bad to good to great play (which basically mirrored their regular season play). If they had played (in the playoffs) like there were entering the playoffs, we probably would of won the cup. We were very close to losing against Los Angeles in round 1.

We will see how this team plays in the first 10-15 games. It was only one game but it hard to feel confident that this team has learned anything from the past after that first game.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They have some nice pieces but its their system that is the difference maker.
Tochett had 100% buy in from his players against the Oilers.
They play that system with that level of commitment over the entirety of the season and they are going to catch a lot of teams off guard.

Honestly I was a bit envious watching them go balls to the wall that game. Playing the system.. skating their asses off and just hustling like beasts.

Was a bit embarrassing after hearing my team talk the talk all summer. Hearing all the things I was thinking and having me believe they at least know what's wrong. Well.. regardless of knowing what's wrong. (beating themselves yada yada). They came out this game showed me they have no clue how to fix it. This team always finds a way to embarrass themselves, the organization, and its fanbase multiple times throughout the year.

The question needs to stop being.. can they turn things around next game. It's a WHY did you not show up the first one. That needs to be f***ing answered with this leadership. WHY can you not show up the first game. WHY do you have to get punched in the face before your realize you're in a boxing match.

This team needs to lose first before they can win... WHY?

We will never bring home Lord Stanley's cup when we have to give the first game away like they've done the last 3 years in the playoffs. The other team needs to win 3 of 6 while we need to win 4 of 6 because the first game is a freebie.

Reactions: guymez and Duke74

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They were very good after new years. And then they were great after the trade deadline.

The team (in the past) seem to take forever to get going and play well consistently. And we always seem to flounder in December. Team doesnt seem to hit their stride until the new year. And the way the playoffs went, we saw a complete mish mash of bad to good to great play (which basically mirrored their regular season play). If they had played (in the playoffs) like there were entering the playoffs, we probably would of won the cup. We were very close to losing against Los Angeles in round 1.

We will see how this team plays in the first 10-15 games. It was only one game but it hard to feel confident that this team has learned anything from the past after that first game.

Let's go over they playoff game 1's since 2020

2020 6-4 loss to the BlackHawks. NO SHOW'd .
2021 4-1 loss to the Jets.. NO SHOW'd the first game.
2022 4-3 OT loss to Kings, Showed up and coughed the game away. Beat themselves
2022 9-6 loss to flames.. NO SHOW'd
2022 8-6 loss to Avalanche... NO SHOW'd
2023 4-3 OT loss to Kings.. repeat of 2022 almost exactly.
2023 6-4 loss to Vegas.. NO SHOW'd

Am I the only one that thinks there's something wrong with the way this team and it's core leadership has a dip your toe in the water approach to how they approach the game of hockey?

They talk about beating themselves and it's true. They spot the other team a f***ing game in EVERY playoff series since 2020.. either by not showing up or beating themselves.

It's almost like they need to gauge how much effort is required to put in first because it's a limited resource or something. First we have to align with our opponent and see.. hmm can I beat them with 50% power tonight? of f***.. guess not.. bump it up to 80%.. etc.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I get it, but same old team.

Even them winning 8-1 on Saturday isn't going to get me thinking "oh wow here's a team that changed from last year"

The Oilers needed to prove themselves over a long stretch
Which will never happen because they’ll have a bad game 3-4 months from now and fans will say it’s still the same old same old…but that’s the reality of sports. Even the best, championship caliber teams lay the odd egg.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

It is incredible to me that these players, who have played thousands of hours of the highest level hockey on the planet, have trouble adjusting to playing zone D vs man-to-man.

In soccer players have to be able to flourish in different formations - are there 3 D at the back? Is the formation different in possession rather than defending the ball? Some formations change based on the individual teams they are facing or in some cases (eg Mbappe) the individual players.

It just comes down to execution at some point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It is incredible to me that these players, who have played thousands of hours of the highest level hockey on the planet, have trouble adjusting to playing zone D vs man-to-man.

In soccer players have to be able to flourish in different formations - are there 3 D at the back? Is the formation different in possession rather than defending the ball? Some formations change based on the individual teams they are facing or in some cases (eg Mbappe) the individual players.

Ditto for basketball players, defensive schemes can completely change half way through the game (now we're doing a full court press) or against specific opponents (we're going to double Steph Curry and get the ball out of his hands) and during the game itself (they're killing us on the pick and roll, we need the player to go high) and even things like switching from zone defence to man-to-man and back again during a single game.

Meanwhile here you have a boo-hoo sob story of not understanding what to do in the defensive zone even after several weeks and several warm up games.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He didn't give excuses, he just said that he didn't like how the Canucks conducted themselves. I agree with that, however the wait won't be long to take them on in round 2 so f***ing do something about it.

He complained about the Knuckles playing their top pp line near the end of the game. Like.. who cares. I'd like the Oilers to do the same thing on rivals.

This lightened my mood tho. Drai is hilarious.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Whenever I hear a former player talk about systems ... they make it sound like its a complete non issue to make adjustments.

I think it really comes down to work ethic, buy in and execution.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Which will never happen because they’ll have a bad game 3-4 months from now and fans will say it’s still the same old same old…but that’s the reality of sports. Even the best, championship caliber teams lay the odd egg.

That's true to an extent, but I also think there's a difference between laying an egg after a road trip, 3 games in 4 nights. You know those mid season games that are bound to happen.

This was game 1 of the regular season. They got shit kicked. It wasn't a system thing. It was an effort thing. Who knows if there's an issue with the system when the effort is so piss poor. You can't evaluate the game from tactical level imo.

A lot of games in the regular season an 8-1 no show can be forgotten and forgiven. An 8-1 shit pounding on the first game of the year honestly says something about the mental state of this hockey club and it's willingness to put the work in.

RNH
Evander Kane
Zach Hyman
Leon Draisitl
Yes Even Connor McDavid

All were outworked that game.. outworked BAD... REALLY REALLY f***ing bad.

Now maybe they come back on Saturday and decide to put some effort into the hockey game and it's just about shaking off cobwebs. I've posted they're first game results of all their playoff series since 2020.. They're not good.. they actually resonate with Wednesdays game.

This core has a dip your toe in mentality. They'll overcome it in the regular season. But it will cost them again in the playoffs. They can't bring their A game until they manufacture urgency via guilt/desperation etc.

Reactions: guymez

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Oh wow lol, they lost 8-1? I tuned out after 5-1 or 6-1, don't remember which.
Eh, no biggie. It's still just 0-1 but that's a whopper of an L.

I think part of the issue is that these lines/pairings that started the game never played a real game before outside of Ryan-Janmark and Nurse-Bouchard years ago although I think RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman played a few games maybe? Part of it can also be chalked up to just one of those nights. No excuse to lose on Saturday.
I thought we had them right where we wanted them when it was 4-0.

Turns out I was wrong

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Let's go over they playoff game 1's since 2020

2020 6-4 loss to the BlackHawks. NO SHOW'd .
2021 4-1 loss to the Jets.. NO SHOW'd the first game.
2022 4-3 OT loss to Kings, Showed up and coughed the game away. Beat themselves
2022 9-6 loss to flames.. NO SHOW'd
2022 8-6 loss to Avalanche... NO SHOW'd
2023 4-3 OT loss to Kings.. repeat of 2022 almost exactly.
2023 6-4 loss to Vegas.. NO SHOW'd

Am I the only one that thinks there's something wrong with the way this team and it's core leadership has a dip your toe in the water approach to how they approach the game of hockey?

They talk about beating themselves and it's true. They spot the other team a f***ing game in EVERY playoff series since 2020.. either by not showing up or beating themselves.

It's almost like they need to gauge how much effort is required to put in first because it's a limited resource or something. First we have to align with our opponent and see.. hmm can I beat them with 50% power tonight? of f***.. guess not.. bump it up to 80%.. etc.
Game 1 is the most important game of a series. Has there ever been a run of game 1 losses this bad in NHL history?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I think we cling hard on these kinds of artifacts when they could actually be meaningless. How many of the games we were rolling clubs were against teams in already pretty decided positions? How many against teams that are in the turtle derby basically trying to lose?

The only times you get real indication of teams actual fight and teeth is either first half of season, when all teams are legitimately in it, or in playoffs.

The Oilers chronically seem to excel at the phase of the year that other teams are either packing it in or have already landed in their likely spots.

Last edited:

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Broberg is such a frustrating player. You hardly ever notice the guy. He doesn't defend that well, he's not very physical, he doesn't create any offence, he's just kind of there. I don't know what the plan is with him lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Honestly I was a bit envious watching them go balls to the wall that game. Playing the system.. skating their asses off and just hustling like beasts.

Was a bit embarrassing after hearing my team talk the talk all summer. Hearing all the things I was thinking and having me believe they at least know what's wrong. Well.. regardless of knowing what's wrong. (beating themselves yada yada). They came out this game showed me they have no clue how to fix it. This team always finds a way to embarrass themselves, the organization, and its fanbase multiple times throughout the year.

The question needs to stop being.. can they turn things around next game. It's a WHY did you not show up the first one. That needs to be f***ing answered with this leadership. WHY can you not show up the first game. WHY do you have to get punched in the face before your realize you're in a boxing match.

This team needs to lose first before they can win... WHY?

We will never bring home Lord Stanley's cup when we have to give the first game away like they've done the last 3 years in the playoffs. The other team needs to win 3 of 6 while we need to win 4 of 6 because the first game is a freebie.
For long time Oilers fans it was an interesting reverse on have vs have nots. Our fans here know many times where the team here were underdogs and had to go up against juggernaut lineups and just outworked them and won going away. Its easy to respect the hardworking club that got the win vs the supremely talented team that was blown up.

I was just so envious that there was a team out there playing and committing to a working system. Envious as well how well coached the Nucks are now. They played a smart tidy game and with limited resources and beat a team that they shouldn't on paper. Not just beating them but annihilating them.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Broberg is such a frustrating player. You hardly ever notice the guy. He doesn't defend that well, he's not very physical, he doesn't create any offence, he's just kind of there. I don't know what the plan is with him lol

He'll be a fine number 4/5, I just dont see the high end top 4 projections at all.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad