Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think we can ever show our faces on the main board this month. That was one of the worst openings to a season I can remember for any team ever. I just; my will to watch hockey just plummeted. If the boys can’t massively clean up their game Saturday…hoo boy

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good night for Firestick not to be working and fall asleep.
Holloway hurt? Any update?

Oh well, rather lose like this, get it over with, bring on Saturday night
Boys must have been down East Hastings street before the game

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I was at the game, not sure how you can just blame some defensemen. That was a total team loss from top to bottom, other than Holloway, McLeod and Foegele ( who had a few good shifts ) it was total dogshit. The goaltending was terrible, there was no jump or drive for any players at any position.

They didn't come to play and it showed. I guess they expected to win without playing.

Well according to the media, we’re going to win the cup already so who really needs to put effort :sarcasm:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well, I just listened to the post game pressers with Woodcroft. Nurse, McDavid etc.

Woody said the team “laid an egg” about 8 times in response to what happened and then when asked of this game was a “learning opportunity “ he replied, “I don’t know.”

Nurse - “we weren’t ready to play”

McDavid - “ I dont know, I don’t know…lots of learning opportunities “ and then in response to a question, harrumphed about Van putting their back up in and running the #1 PP unit when the score was 6-1.

I’ve often been on the fence about this leadership group having the true internal fortitude to carry the group to a winning season. Not a good season, or a great season, but one that is written into history books forever as champions.

To the sound bits I heard above,

Woody, if you don’t know if this is a learning opp, then you are not the right person for this role.

Nurse - long time veteran, your job is to make sure yourself and guys are emotionally and mentally ready to start. I can except a dud in late January when the grind is getting old, but season opener? Abject failure.

McDavid - this team has faced this before, you’ve trotted out the same response about learning. Either you guys don’t listen to the lessons being taught , aren’t smart enough to synthesize the learning being taught or you are too arrogant to care. I fear it’s the latter. And don’t be so arrogant that you suggest the other team running their # 1 PP late in the game shouldn’t occur. NHL teams play to win, they play from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer. If Edmonton did the same on a consistent basis what would be written about them will be read about in history books forever.

Guys you won’t win doing the same things you’ve done the past 5-7 years, being inconsistent, lacking start of game intensity, not listening to the coach and playing the systems with full commitment.

My hope is we still read about this group in history being champions rather than an elite bunch of could-have-beens. I’m not writing them off I hope at year end I can laugh at this post, but I am incredulous at this point.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I going to say things didn't go to plan. It's either just a really bad game and the team moves forward learning an embarrassing lesson or we can view it as indicative of the entire season.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm actually only disappointed by the childish penalties from McDrai. Those were just poor leadership. Drai's second penalty looked especially dumb, intent to injure even. Not a good look.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Before I read through the GDT, I watched the game after it was over. Way to leave Campbell out to dry. Absolute garbage effort. Holloway was a plus so of course he gets hurt late. Captain's skate, Stanley aspirations, new system, why play Gleason when we have the two studs in Broberg and Desharnais, where's the toughness on our team? Only Nurse seemed to have given a f*** in this regard late. Kulak looked like crap, likely because he's playing injured. Wake the f*** up boys. Woodcroft is on notice, anything less than a cup and his ass should be fired. Glad that we are shopping for another forward, how about we get a better defenseman than Kulak, Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais?
Add Nurse to the list - on of the most over rated defenseman in the league
He's good at screening that's about it

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I'm actually only disappointed by the childish penalties from McDrai. Those were just poor leadership. Drai's second penalty looked especially dumb, intent to injure even. Not a good look.
I will add in Mcdavids pouting comments in the post game interview. What the other team is doing is irrelevant when you are that bad and throwing shade at them just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That was one terrible, terrible evening - impossible to tell if it means anything at this point.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Well, I just listened to the post game pressers with Woodcroft. Nurse, McDavid etc.

Woody said the team “laid an egg” about 8 times in response to what happened and then when asked of this game was a “learning opportunity “ he replied, “I don’t know.”

Nurse - “we weren’t ready to play”

McDavid - “ I dont know, I don’t know…lots of learning opportunities “ and then in response to a question, harrumphed about Van putting their back up in and running the #1 PP unit when the score was 6-1.

I’ve often been on the fence about this leadership group having the true internal fortitude to carry the group to a winning season. Not a good season, or a great season, but one that is written into history books forever as champions.

To the sound bits I heard above,

Woody, if you don’t know if this is a learning opp, then you are not the right person for this role.

Nurse - long time veteran, your job is to make sure yourself and guys are emotionally and mentally ready to start. I can except a dud in late January when the grind is getting old, but season opener? Abject failure.

McDavid - this team has faced this before, you’ve trotted out the same response about learning. Either you guys don’t listen to the lessons being taught , aren’t smart enough to synthesize the learning being taught or you are too arrogant to care. I fear it’s the latter. And don’t be so arrogant that you suggest the other team running their # 1 PP late in the game shouldn’t occur. NHL teams play to win, they play from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer. If Edmonton did the same on a consistent basis what would be written about them will be read about in history books forever.

Guys you won’t win doing the same things you’ve done the past 5-7 years, being inconsistent, lacking start of game intensity, not listening to the coach and playing the systems with full commitment.

My hope is we still read about this group in history being champions rather than an elite bunch of could-have-beens. I’m not writing them off I hope at year end I can laugh at this post, but I am incredulous at this point.
Let’s just hope it’s a 1 off and they come out smoking Saturday night. I seen highlites and we looked terrible. Few goals looked like a pinball machine. Terrible defensive coverage, again. Hopefully Ekholm is back soon

Reactions: brentashton

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I will add in Mcdavids pouting comments in the post game interview. What the other team is doing is irrelevant when you are that bad and throwing shade at them just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That was one terrible, terrible evening - impossible to tell if it means anything at this point.
He didn’t know at the time that goaltender was sick
Chill man. Now you wanna crap on the best player in the world because u got a bad taste in your mouth? Take some mouthwash then

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So how about that Nurse-Bouchard pairing? 🤮

It was 6-1 for Vancouver in the third period and they still threw out their number one power play unit.. hopefully the Oilers remember this for Saturday

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
The oilers couldn't move the puck and only scored one goal.

With how bad the team played I prefer they are shamed by a bad score, rather than Campbell or skinner getting a shutout and making them think they had a great game.

The team is good enough that what we lose by shouldn't matter at the end of the year only total points in the standings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad