Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Same thing every single year. I plead for a real effort to improve goaltending when the year before we see some really terrible play by one or both of the incumbents.

Every year we add a forward or a dman

Every year the team and most of this forum cov9nce themselves the tending is good enough.

Not one goalie has gotten better under our goalie coach, all have gotten worse and this dick head still is back every single year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Disagree with you on Smith. His age was always irrelevant to me based on the numbers he put up.

It's irrelevant at this point because the team couldn't realistically build anything around a guy that old and he you can't ask him to be balls to the wall in the playoffs because it's just too many games for a guy that old.

So yeah, good for him, he gave us some decent regular season bursts, but it wasn't a foundational thing we could really build anything off of.

Though even at age 40, he's probably still better than Campbell or Skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
No way to put the blame on Campbell but did anyone here think that he was going to be the player to steal a game?
I sure didnt. Especially after seeing how bad his rebound control was.

I am not saying that Skinner is the answer. I think this team has a goaltending problem and Holland is to blame for that.
However...there is one thing that Skinner does much better than Campbell and thats rebound control.
No goalie on Earth was going to steal this game. Thats the simplest thing to unpack. There was some bad puck luck too but starting with Garland taking a puck that 90% of players would try to tap in and instead he handles the puck cleanly, and handles and tucks it in. Completely unexpected. Even in real time I thought it was tipped then I saw the replay. There was about 3-4 goals that were odd with pucks bouncing around. Tough night but none of our players giving goalies any favors out there.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Okay. I am going to hold you to that. :nod:
Got it lol

In the end, he still ended up being the only player that did a thing on that whole sequence. Bad luck he got his stick blade hit just as he was about to pass.

Personally I don't give a pass to the other 4 guys that had lots of time to help, but ended up being complete non-factors on a pass and top corner snipe
What Bouchard did led to the goal man. If he wins the puck battle, the goal doesn't occur neither does the chance. He tried to use his stick but should be using the body as well

Reactions: guymez

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not one goalie has gotten better under our goalie coach, all have gotten worse and this dick head still is back every single year.

I’m hoping JJ deep sixes him and starts an entire goaltending department. He should have zero loyalties to Oilers coaches.

Reactions: gordonhught

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No goalie on Earth was going to steal this game. Thats the simplest thing to unpack. There was some bad puck luck too but starting with Garland taking a puck that 90% of players would try to tap in and instead he handles the puck cleanly, and handles and tucks it in. Completely unexpected. Even in real time I thought it was tipped then I saw the replay. There was about 3-4 goals that were odd with pucks bouncing around. Tough night but none of our players giving goalies any favors out there.
As I said...no way to blame Campbell for this loss.
That said his rebound control is bad.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, that was.... something....

Game 1, boys better be ready Saturday. All I can really say.

Oh, none of that was Campbell's fault. Doesn't help when your D is running around like chickens with their f***ing heads cut off.

Ok. Exhale. Time to drink.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So you deleted the post and yet you are getting pissy about me not reading things? Okay.
I am trying to keep up with responding to the posters that have responded to me.

If you honestly think that offence is the problem with this team then I just dont know what to say to you.
According to you I wont read your response anyway so lets save each other some time here. :D
I deleted a post? Nah, no I didn't.

I didn't say offense is the problem. You misquote, strawman, all day. So much its getting hard again to even engage.

I said that there is no way in hell the team is gonna score with the frenzy they scored last year. A lot of the scoring success was PP and teams will find a way to make adjustments.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Same thing every single year. I plead for a real effort to improve goaltending when the year before we see some really terrible play by one or both of the incumbents.

Every year we add a forward or a dman

Every year the team and most of this forum cov9nce themselves the tending is good enough.

More reasons why we should have gone cheap on our 1B. He doesn’t work? ship him out and try again. That guy doesn’t work too? Ship him out and try again.

We literally just saw the Avs win a Cup with a goalie carousel. The Knights then followed it up with a goalie carousel on their own.

And yet we go and commit 5 years to a volatile goalie in an already volatile position. We could have tried 3-5 goalies out in the time that Campbell has been bad for us, and still had Skinner as a good safety net.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm honestly not that attached to Evan Bouchard. Yes he can put up a lot of points on the PP, but so could like Marc Andre Bergeron on this PP.

If you can move him for a legit top 4 D that can actually defend and maybe bring back Barrie for cheap or just put Ekholm on the PP ... it would be for the best.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This team is just weird and has such highs and lows. It’s just one game, we’ll see what happens Saturday.

In the back of my mind I can’t help but think this team should have shaken things up and reworked the D and G because they failed miserably in the playoffs. It’s the exact same group that got doinked by Vegas.. should have done SOMETHING.

Ideally you don’t shake things up so close to McDrais contracts expiring but this team is not good enough at keeping the puck out of the net.

Anyway, it’s just one game but I can’t help it

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I deleted a post? Nah, no I didn't.

I didn't say offense is the problem. You misquote, strawman, all day. So much its getting hard again to even engage.

I said that there is no way in hell the team is gonna score with the frenzy they scored last year. A lot of the scoring success was PP and teams will find a way to make adjustments.
Detailed...got it!

You said the forward group was the problem and then went on to try and support that argument.

My point is that the backend is a far bigger issue with this team. Defence and goaltending win cups.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More reasons why we should have gone cheap on our 1B. He doesn’t work? ship him out and try again. That guy doesn’t work too? Ship him out and try again.

We literally just saw the Avs win a Cup with a goalie carousel. The Knights then followed it up with a goalie carousel on their own.

And yet we go and commit 5 years to a volatile goalie in an already volatile position. We could have tried 3-5 goalies out in the time that Campbell has been bad for us, and still had Skinner as a good safety net.

The long term contracts handed out to Koskinen and Campbell were both idiotic.

If you want to take at shot on them, fine, but like giving them long term deals with very small sample sizes and no proven track record of being a long term starter was insane.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Detailed...got it!

You said the forward group was the problem and then went on to try and support that argument.

My point is that the backend is a far bigger issue with this team. Defence and goaltending win cups.
nah, no nyet.

Theres just no point. You're not grasping what I put down. You reply with whatever you want to think I was emphasizing.

But worse when you several times say you're just doing it to yank my chain why should I even respond to you more?

its reasons like this I don't even post in the Elks thread anymore. Well one post in 3 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad