Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No team can say they have all the pieces until they actually win a cup. Then suddenly certain guys are the pieces.

This also isn't me saying the team is complete, because I agree it isn't.

The defence is ass going into year 9 of McDavid. The entire right side of the D is a gong show.

How many seasons here would you say going into a season they've had an actual good d-corps and someone reasonably good in net in the McDavid era?

1 time maybe? 16-17 season.

In terms of building a defence this team is still like where they should have been maybe in year 2 or 3 of McDavid, not year 9. This isn't like a small thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not with the effort the boys put out. Oooh we might have lost 6-2 instead big woop. Putting the blame solely on Campbell is pathetic.
No way to put the blame on Campbell but did anyone here think that he was going to be the player to steal a game?
I sure didnt. Especially after seeing how bad his rebound control was.

I am not saying that Skinner is the answer. I think this team has a goaltending problem and Holland is to blame for that.
However...there is one thing that Skinner does much better than Campbell and thats rebound control.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Specs a f***in tool.

“Hey Connor, your stupid captains skates didn’t seem to work, care to comment?”
I like that he called them out on that though. The boys made such a big deal how they did it to be extra ready and prepared as they played like they just met.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The defence is ass going into year 9 of McDavid. The entire right side of the D is a gong show.

How many seasons here would you say going into a season they've had an actual good d-corps and someone reasonably good in net?

I thought Mike Smith and Cam Talbot were both good goalies who pulled their weight and gave them a chance. I also think Skinner is well on his way too, but it's far too early to tell, though I know you disagree and that's fine.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You know this whole partner-mentor thing is a nice thought. I hope it works for some of our younguns… but sometimes none of that shit will fix anything. Like what partner could possibly stop Bouch from being easilly shoved off a puck 1 on 1? No partner in the world is going to leave his assignment to jump in a on battle Bouch should be expected to handle.

Stuff happens on the boards. Just as Bouch was going to hit the puck the forward hacked at his stick. You can't have 4 other teammates being a complete non-factor in 2 plays that occur after the puck gets away from his 1 on 1 battle. A forward should have been on top of Miller, I guess McDavid would have been the guy. He just coasted and let Miller treat him like a pylon.

Number of guys on this team that might just never figure out defending. Lots of offensive D never ever figure it out. Carlson has almost gone a whole career being terrible defensively, standing straight up clueless as things happen around him. Made up for it though on the PP and moving the puck all night long. Got his cup, the GM always made sure to have a solid defensive guy with him. Not many players are perfect, but you still have to value rare skillsets that can help push offensive play.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah and did you not notice how badly Bouchard played the puck battle? He needs to put in more then just that. Way more strength and compete

In the end, he still ended up being the only player that did a thing on that whole sequence. Bad luck he got his stick blade hit just as he was about to pass.

Personally I don't give a pass to the other 4 guys that had lots of time to help, but ended up being complete non-factors on a pass and top corner snipe

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well...this is hardly a game to pass judgement on a forward group that was the highest scoring group in the NHL last season. they even added to their offence when they replaced Yammaoto with Brown.
That game isnt representative of this forward group at all. I am quite surprised that you think it is actually.

The team checked out of the game at 5-1.
Just watch the Canucks goals and look where the defence was positioned. On every single goal there was a defenisve breakdown. Defensive breakdowns are by far this teams biggest issue...not scoring goals.

This defence tonight was reminiscent of what we saw before Ekholm got here.
I actually detailed it all but you rarely read others posts before responding.

In short Hyman and Nuge had outlier by miles seasons that won't be resurrected ever. Neither are going to be anywhere near as productive. Kane looks checked out completely. His history is to be good when he starts for clubs and gradually wear out his welcome. Plus he's old.

Drai is gonna be 29 in two weeks and has had a ton of mileage/injuries/being banged up. really I've been amazed hes' kept it up for as long as he's had.

But we had best ever years from basically everybody. How on Earth do you think thats all gonna be replicated?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Stuff happens on the boards. Just as Bouch was going to hit the puck the forward hacked at his stick. You can't have 4 other teammates being a complete non-factor in 2 plays that occur after the puck gets away from his 1 on 1 battle. A forward should have been on top of Miller, I guess McDavid would have been the guy. He just coasted and let Miller treat him like a pylon.

Number of guys on this team that might just never figure out defending. Lots of offensive D never ever figure it out. Carlson has almost gone a whole career being terrible defensively, standing straight up clueless as things happen around him. Made up for it though on the PP and moving the puck all night long. Got his cup, the GM always made sure to have a solid defensive guy with him. Not many players are perfect, but you still have to value rare skillsets that can help push offensive play.
Like every player has a weakness. It’s a team sport, you cover for your teammates weaknesses. Bouchard is good at preventing zone entries and then rough along the boards. So you see him against the boards? Stop trying to cherry pick a breakout and help freaking defend.

Reactions: oobga

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I thought Mike Smith and Cam Talbot were both good goalies who pulled their weight and gave them a chance. I also think Skinner is well on his way too, but it's far too early to tell, though I know you disagree and that's fine.

Smith was a non-starter because he was older than the Titanic and was never going to be able to hold up for a regular season workload PLUS playoffs and he basically never did.

So essentially Talbot in 16-17 is really the only year McDavid/Draisaitl have gotten good goaltending from start to finish more or less.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I actually detailed it all but you rarely read others posts before responding.

In short Hyman and Nuge had outlier by miles seasons that won't be resurrected ever. Neither are going to be anywhere near as productive. Kane looks checked out completely. His history is to be good when he starts for clubs and gradually wear out his welcome. Plus he's old.

Drai is gonna be 29 in two weeks and has had a ton of mileage/injuries/being banged up. really I've been amazed hes' kept it up for as long as he's had.

But we had best ever years from basically everybody. How on Earth do you think thats all gonna be replicated?
I am trying to keep up with responding to the posters that have responded to me.

If you honestly think that offence is the problem with this team then I just dont know what to say to you.
According to you I wont read your response anyway so lets save each other some time here. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Smith was a non-starter because he was older than the Titanic and was never going to be able to hold up for a regular season workload PLUS playoffs and he basically never did.

So essentially Talbot in 16-17 is really the only year McDavid/Draisaitl have gotten good goaltending from start to finish more or less.
Disagree with you on Smith. His age was always irrelevant to me based on the numbers he put up.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

How many seasons here would you say going into a season they've had an actual good d-corps and someone reasonably good in net in the McDavid era?

In terms of building a defence this team is still like where they should have been maybe in year 2 or 3 of McDavid, not year 9. This isn't like a small thing.

We’d be in good shape if Larsson didn’t get something in the water’d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad