Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’ll spoil the ending for you: our prospects aren’t worth shit. The Oilers suck at drafting.
It’d be nice to know that for sure. Instead we wonder how good Bourgault actually is if he played with somebody else instead of Malone and Griffith.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

this is on you Woody, you're a fraud

So they were in pre-season mode instead of regular season mode? Maybe the big boys should have gotten more games in to get their legs under them instead of icing a bunch of players who all ended up getting cut anyways. If we lose the next game in a disgusting fashion then this coach should be turfed.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He literally gets the worst of all worlds the way he runs it.

We don’t know how good the top prospects actually are because he spends all preseason playing them with AHL vets and NHL bottom 6 grinders.

Then on top of that he doesn’t play his actual expected lines enough for them to shake off the rust.
Toronto literally made a trade because they had a rookie push his way onto the roster, and obviously it was made clear it was possible.

They tried a bunch of different things over there in camp till they got the lines that worked best.

Woody did none of that. It’s just baffling. It’s like they thought they deserved to win the cup last year and nothing needed to change except getting rid of 2 bottom 6 guys, replacing them with Holloway and swapping Yamamoto for Brown.

We just stick McDrai together at a moments notice and tell the rest of the roster to warm the bench.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The forwards scored 1 goal in this game. How is that not a problem. Outside of one or two games the team had trouble scoring in preseason.

One would have to work hard to devise schemes that limit even McDrai.

The team was outcoached by miles by Tochet. With the Nucks you saw a deplted lineup but still with guys that had a game plan and executed that all night. You couldn't even recognize Oiler schemes out there.

Goaltending is suspect but the biggest question mark is coaching.
Well...this is hardly a game to pass judgement on a forward group that was the highest scoring group in the NHL last season. they even added to their offence when they replaced Yammaoto with Brown.
That game isnt representative of this forward group at all. I am quite surprised that you think it is actually.

The team checked out of the game at 5-1.
Just watch the Canucks goals and look where the defence was positioned. On every single goal there was a defenisve breakdown. Defensive breakdowns are by far this teams biggest issue...not scoring goals.

This defence tonight was reminiscent of what we saw before Ekholm got here.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
For sure. But the Oilers getting burned on rushes times and time againg and losing puck battles and beign 2nd to pucks. That might not go away completely. Our D is nowhere close to being good enough. Desharnais isn't much. Bro isn't ready, Ceci and Kulak have joined the question marks and Nurse just flat out sucks. I've actually tried to defend this guy but he's clearly just collecting pay cheques at this point.

Whens the last time our high paid D was an impact player?
I generally hate our defence other than Ek. I think I’ve just come to the “this is what we have so it has to be a committee” approach.

I do bet Holland makes a move this season for a top 4 d. He has to see the holes. At least I hope he does!!! Hehe

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid + Draisaitl reunited by period 2 of the regular season turned out to be spot on as a prediction too, lol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’d be nice to know that for sure. Instead we wonder how good Bourgault actually is if he played with somebody else instead of Malone and Griffith.
He did eventually get some time with McDrai. The organization might not want to inflate his worth Yamo/Pool style this time around, they get what they earn and don’t get helped by generational superstars to get there.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
They don't have the pieces on the blue line and probably not in net either.

Just because McDavid/Draisaitl can will enough offence to win you 6-8 playoff games a year doesn't mean you have "all the pieces".
No team can say they have all the pieces until they actually win a cup. Then suddenly certain guys are the pieces.

This also isn't me saying the team is complete, because I agree it isn't.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guarantee you this, if Skinner had started and not Campbell, the score would've been so different. I know I'll be ripped for this
Not with the effort the boys put out. Oooh we might have lost 6-2 instead big woop. Putting the blame solely on Campbell is pathetic.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid + Draisaitl reunited by period 2 of the regular season turned out to be spot on as a prediction too, lol.
Well, it happens any time we’re down in a game. I don’t know that early season or mid season or post season has anything to do with it.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
So they were in pre-season mode instead of regular season mode? Maybe the big boys should have gotten more games in to get their legs under them instead of icing a bunch of players who all ended up getting cut anyways. If we lose the next game in a disgusting fashion then this coach should be turfed.
I get tired of Woodys “to a man” crap. Find a new phrase bro

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This team would have lost 8-1 tonight even if Demko was in our net. Goaltending isn’t our only problem. I’d suggest all 6 of the defensemen we iced tonight is an even bigger issue.
Imagine if this was the first game you ever watched, You heard the Oilers are SC favorites, and that theres this thing called D. you'd still be wondering what D actually do. Because it wasn't happening a lot.

That said the Oilers back pressure from forwards was non existent.

Oh this. Evander Kane -4 and looking everybit that terrible. Given his usual career trajectory have we already seen all of good Kane?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad