Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Toronto - 108 points
Tampa Bay - 102 points
Boston - 98 points
Detroit - 96 points
Buffalo - 95 points
Florida - 94 points
Ottawa - 92 points
Montréal - 74 points

Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Florida and Ottawa will be in the hunt for the last spot in the division and the 2 wildcards. It's going to be a fun year!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Toronto - 108 points
Tampa Bay - 102 points
Boston - 98 points
Detroit - 96 points
Buffalo - 95 points
Florida - 94 points
Ottawa - 92 points
Montréal - 74 points

Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Florida and Ottawa will be in the hunt for the last spot in the division and the 2 wildcards. It's going to be a fun year!

I look at Bostons roster and Ottawa's roster and I don't see how Bostons is better, with the changes they've made this off season.

Compare line to line and pairing to pairing and all but 1-2 go to Ottawa.

Boston definitely has the edge in nets though, so maybe you're weighing that more heavily?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Going with a 20 player roster? That will be interesting when they get injuries.
The leafs are always screwed / are in cap hell/ need to trade someone. Then magically they’re not.

It’s almost like Brandon Pridham helped write the CBA and is now their assistant GM.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I look at Bostons roster and Ottawa's roster and I don't see how Bostons is better, with the changes they've made this off season.

Boston definitely has the edge in nets though, so maybe you're weighing that more heavily?

I really wanted to put Boston lower, because I think Bergeron was the straw that stirred the drink, but it was hard to fathom a team going from 135 points to less than 90 points, that's a massive drop.

The goalie is the only edge that Boston has, you're right though. Stutzle - Tkachuk vs Marchand - Pastrnak is a toss up, though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

On paper there arent many better teams in the division but nothing is won on paper.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They got worse this year.

Defence got worse.

Forwards got worse.

Nylander might be gone which makes things even harder
They definitely got better. Anyone thinking the leafs got worse is just being a hater. They added exactly what they were missing up front. They got a D man that can get the puck controlled to the forwards and they got some personality. They are the only lock to make the playoffs in the division.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley and The90

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I really wanted to put Boston lower, because I think Bergeron was the straw that stirred the drink, but it was hard to fathom a team going from 135 points to less than 90 points, that's a massive drop.

The goalie is the only edge that Boston has, you're right though. Stutzle - Tkachuk vs Marchand - Pastrnak is a toss up, though.

I get what you're saying. Generally I think people don't like to predict much change.

I agree that's a toss up, however I think Marchand is regressing at this point.

Then list the next guys for their secondary guys and it's all Ottawa.

Boston loses guys like Bergeron and Krejci and hall and declining Marchand is an easy big drop.

Then Ottawa's young core have natural progression plus they have a much improved roster over what they started last year.

They lose debrincat but they gain Norris, Tarasenko, and kubalik and chychrun on D replaces zaitsev. Those are massive gains. Norris offsets debrincat and then some, and then they just added Tarasenko, kubalik for depth and chychrun. That's huge for the depth. So they're an easy riser.

Reactions: bert

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo Florida had an off year. They had to adjust to their huge changes and their ascent at the end of the season showed what they really were. Also, the Atlantic is the best division in hockey. 5 spots for them.

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Tampa
Buffalo

Ottawa
Detroit (I just can't get on board until I see the new-look Wings in action. I've seen good offseasons crash before, but I could see them taking spot 5 if it all clicks.)
Montreal

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Imo Florida had an off year. They had to adjust to their huge changes and their ascent at the end of the season showed what they really were. Also, the Atlantic is the best division in hockey. 5 spots for them.

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Tampa
Buffalo

Ottawa
Detroit (I just can't get on board until I see the new-look Wings in action. I've seen good offseasons crash before, but I could see them taking spot 5 if it all clicks.)
Montreal
Florida lost Gudas, and Montour and Ekblad start the season injured.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That is concerning, sure, but they did some good moves to patch things up. It's not like they had anyone critical such as Hedman. Even with Ekblad, it's mostly a 6 man unit. They added OEL, Reilly, Kulikov. Forsling is their main guy anyway, and he's only getting better.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Coaching, defense AND goaltending.

Lindholm, McAvoy are better than any D on Ottawa by a wide margin. Chabot and Chychrun are very incomplete defenders. Then Boston's backup is better than Ottawa's starting goalie. And their coaching/system is lightyears ahead. Boston won't win 65 again but they're not going to be an easy out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Toronto (range 1-3): Strong regular season team for ages, have lost diddly squat that matters save perhaps being a year closer to irrelevance for Tavares, and are probably stronger for Bertuzzi/Domi/Knies vs Bunting. Would need a shocking injury catastrophe to miss out of the top 3 imo.

Then it gets tricky...

Tampa (range 1-4): Seems impossible they'd miss but where they fit in depends heavily on fitness and how much they care. I'm not sure Hedman is all he was. I'm not sure Vasilevskiy is comparatively all he was. Stamkos is at the age where decline can happen any season. If all three of those players hit walls, they might even be in trouble. I don't think all three will, but if one dips a bit more and the depth doesn't do fantastic, they'll be flirting with the wildcards. If all the stars are fine and guys like Eyssimont and Jeannot pick it up, they'll look great.

Boston (range 1-5): Yeah, I can see them missing. People point to their record breaking season as an impossible mark to fall from but we just saw Florida lose 30 points from one season to the next, and they weren't replacing both top six centres. Blackhawks lost 33, Kings lost 27, Sharks lost 38... and I get the reasons for confidence. Pasta is great. Lindholm and McAvoy are great. Ullmark and Swayman are great. It's possible Coyle and Zacha step up big, no one misses a beat, they're 1st again. It's possible Coyle and Zacha are weak links, that Marchand's decline continues, that they get a couple of key injuries, that the goalies get dragged down, and it all explodes... I mostly live in hope there, I think they're top 3, but I see a big range of possibility.

Ottawa (range 2-6): I have zero faith in my belief they'll be 4th as I have zero faith in Korpisalo, but I don't have a lot of faith in items about the teams below. I think Norris back and a full season of Chychrun are big boosts. I think Stutzle is a guy poised to keep growing. If I'm right about those things and wrong about Korpisalo, and if Sanderson keeps growing too and Pinto solidifies 3C, then yeah, 2 is in reach. If guys don't grow, if there's another big injury, if I'm right about Korpisalo, they'll miss.

Florida (2-5): Less of a range given how established that top six is, but their regular season goaltending volatility and blueline injuries look ugly to me. I think those issues are bad enough to put them at risk of missing again. I think that with a fair wind there and a full season from Barkov, they could do really well.

Buffalo (range 2-6): Think they're putting a lot on Devon Levi and that overall, the team didn't control play super well. Tons of things look great for them with Thompson, Dahlin, Cozens, and so on but I think they need to take another step defensively as well as hope Levi is everything he should be. If they do and he is, this will look foolish. If that doesn't happen, if the finishing regresses or they get an injury, I think they miss again. I'll point out they were the healthiest team in this division last season, that's a natural point of regression.

Detroit (3-8): Feel a distinct step behind. They've got NHL talent from top to bottom, but don't have a strong second wave behind Larkin and Seider, and their goaltending doesn't look all that. They need someone like Raymond or DeBrincat to explode and drive Copp's line to glory, as well as Edvinsson to step up. That gives them a shot at the playoffs imo. I think it's more likely they're out by the deadline.

Montreal (6-8): A giant mess that needs about six guys to step up to show the path to the light.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Toronto (range 1-3): Strong regular season team for ages, have lost diddly squat that matters save perhaps being a year closer to irrelevance for Tavares, and are probably stronger for Bertuzzi/Domi/Knies vs Bunting. Would need a shocking injury catastrophe to miss out of the top 3 imo.

Then it gets tricky...

Tampa (range 1-4): Seems impossible they'd miss but where they fit in depends heavily on fitness and how much they care. I'm not sure Hedman is all he was. I'm not sure Vasilevskiy is comparatively all he was. Stamkos is at the age where decline can happen any season. If all three of those players hit walls, they might even be in trouble. I don't think all three will, but if one dips a bit more and the depth doesn't do fantastic, they'll be flirting with the wildcards. If all the stars are fine and guys like Eyssimont and Jeannot pick it up, they'll look great.

Boston (range 1-5): Yeah, I can see them missing. People point to their record breaking season as an impossible mark to fall from but we just saw Florida lose 30 points from one season to the next, and they weren't replacing both top six centres. Blackhawks lost 33, Kings lost 27, Sharks lost 38... and I get the reasons for confidence. Pasta is great. Lindholm and McAvoy are great. Ullmark and Swayman are great. It's possible Coyle and Zacha step up big, no one misses a beat, they're 1st again. It's possible Coyle and Zacha are weak links, that Marchand's decline continues, that they get a couple of key injuries, that the goalies get dragged down, and it all explodes... I mostly live in hope there, I think they're top 3, but I see a big range of possibility.

Ottawa (range 2-6): I have zero faith in my belief they'll be 4th as I have zero faith in Korpisalo, but I don't have a lot of faith in items about the teams below. I think Norris back and a full season of Chychrun are big boosts. I think Stutzle is a guy poised to keep growing. If I'm right about those things and wrong about Korpisalo, and if Sanderson keeps growing too and Pinto solidifies 3C, then yeah, 2 is in reach. If guys don't grow, if there's another big injury, if I'm right about Korpisalo, they'll miss.

Florida (2-5): Less of a range given how established that top six is, but their regular season goaltending volatility and blueline injuries look ugly to me. I think those issues are bad enough to put them at risk of missing again. I think that with a fair wind there and a full season from Barkov, they could do really well.

Buffalo (range 2-6): Think they're putting a lot on Devon Levi and that overall, the team didn't control play super well. Tons of things look great for them with Thompson, Dahlin, Cozens, and so on but I think they need to take another step defensively as well as hope Levi is everything he should be. If they do and he is, this will look foolish. If that doesn't happen, if the finishing regresses or they get an injury, I think they miss again. I'll point out they were the healthiest team in this division last season, that's a natural point of regression.

Detroit (3-8): Feel a distinct step behind. They've got NHL talent from top to bottom, but don't have a strong second wave behind Larkin and Seider, and their goaltending doesn't look all that. They need someone like Raymond or DeBrincat or Vrana to explode and drive Copp's line to glory, as well as Edvinsson to step up. That gives them a shot at the playoffs imo. I think it's more likely they're out by the deadline.

Montreal (6-8): A giant mess that needs about six guys to step up to show the path to the light.
Vrana plays for St. Louis.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Coaching, defense AND goaltending.

Lindholm, McAvoy are better than any D on Ottawa by a wide margin. Chabot and Chychrun are very incomplete defenders. Then Boston's backup is better than Ottawa's starting goalie. And their coaching/system is lightyears ahead. Boston won't win 65 again but they're not going to be an easy out.
I bet they’ll be like the Detroit teams at the end of their playoff runs with datsyuk and zetterberg. So well structured they’ll make the playoffs for a few more years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I bet they’ll be like the Detroit teams at the end of their playoff runs with datsyuk and zetterberg. So well structured they’ll make the playoffs for a few more years.

Very likely. But after this season they'll have cap space again so I'd expect someone like Lindholm or Schiefele to become a bruin in July 2024. Pastrnak, McAvoy and Swayman are still young and in their primes.

I think it will just be a one season dip for Boston before they're back to a top 3 team in the division and top 5 in the conference. Tampa and Florida are two teams I see taking a sharper decline in 2024 than Boston, then probably Toronto in 2025 onward.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Mikkola should provide some Gudas like ability. Maybe not volume of hits but pretty decent defense with potential to be consistent #4.

If OEL can be 50% of Montour until he's back, likely late December, its a win for Zito.
OEL has averaged 35ish pts last 3 (partial) seasons, no Panthers fan think Montour is a consistent 70 pt D man but closer to ~50-55 range on THIS team
Montour could be back by December at latest, he had his surgery a month ago and rehab is 4-6 months.

Ekblad has missed 22 games (2020-21), 21 games (2021-22) and 11 games (2022-23) and Florida have played pretty well without him. He's likely not back until January, Florida has their week long break then.

If Bob can be consistently good 60% of the time in October and November, this schedule seems favorable for them while their patchwork D find chemistry.
Their offense powers them through the regular season anyhow.

Screenshot_20230728_214552_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad