Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
TOR/TBL

BOS/FLA/OTT/BUF/DET

MTL
Honestly, right now this is probably the best way to look at it. Obviously some of those second tier teams will rise and some will fall, but it's so hard to predict right now. Bos/Fla are hard to predict based on roster turnover and uneven performance, respectively. The other three are all ready to make that push, but all three can't/won't do it, so we'll see.

As a Wings fan, have to say at the very least I'm excited, even if there's a likely chance of disappointment.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Guess what? Holl is a lot better than Klingberg. I get that a lot of Leaf fans on here have shown they know nothing about Klingberg, but he is so much worse than Holl. Also lost Schenn, will be a whole season without Sandin. Giordano and Brodie a year older and were visibly declining last year. Also lost Schenn, who isn't great but is way better than Klingberg.

But whatever. You think you hated Holl. Wait til you see Klingberg.

Knies isn't a top 6 forward. His one goal in 10 games shows he isn't there yet and might never be. Always been seen as a low ceiling/high floor prospect. He might be good in a checking role but probably doesn't break 30 points.

Out: O'Reilly, Acciari, Bunting, Kerfoot
In: Reeves, Bertuzzi (and his 8 regular season goals)and Domi (one of the most inconsistent forwards in the NHL, a defensive liability who's on his 6th team in 4 years because no one wants him long term

Don’t forget they also lost a 2x cup winning goalie/perennial Vezina threat in Murray, an elite vanilla forward in Kerfoot, and an almost 7 foot tall elite power forward prospect in Zahorna, and now Samsonov hates them because they took him to arbitration so he’ll likely throw some games, and they also lost an elite 6’4 center to Pittsburgh in Spezza.

Good thing they have their 2024 pick, too bad Celebrini will refuse to play for them after they call his name at the draft.

Reactions: The90

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
People always list all these trade deadline acquisitions as out and impacts on the regular season, the reality is for toronto based on who played the bulk of the regular season:
Out: Bunting, Kerfoot, Holl, Auston Reese, Simmonds, Engvall, Sandin, Murray
In: Bertuzzi, Domi, McCabe, Knies, Reaves, Lafferty, Klingberg, Woll

I'll take the bottom row. Then more can be added at the trade deadline.
Still need to address centre depth and D at the deadline, same as every year. Regular season they should be fine

• Haha
Reactions: bert and Haatley

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If they lose the game 7 coin flip against Boston round 1, it would clearly look like the Presidents season was an overperformance rather than last year being an underperformance. Bob or whatever random 3rd string goalie you ran playing out of their minds is 90% of Maurice’s game plan, I don’t know if that’s a reliable approach.
I'm not a Panthers fan but it's pretty crazy that they took out Boston who just had the best reg season point total and then went 8-1 until the finals there isn't much fluke there.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not a Panthers fan but it's pretty crazy that they took out Boston who just had the best reg season point total and then went 8-1 until the finals there isn't much fluke there.
Lol. There wasn’t much fluke in Montreals run either.

I do think Florida is a much better team than Montreal, but in both runs almost everything that needed to go right, did. There’s certainly a lot of luck there.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Just a sad Leafs fan coping.
Lost in 5 but the Leafs were the better team all series long :laugh:
Bro, you ain’t lyin:
Lol. There wasn’t much fluke in Montreals run either.

I do think Florida is a much better team than Montreal, but in both runs almost everything that needed to go right, did. There’s certainly a lot of luck there.
Bahahaha

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
What did I say that was wrong?
You're joking right? Luck? I mean I get it, I don't pay a lot of attention toward other teams' goals other than what I hear on podcasts and NHL Radio, but if you think the playoffs was "Luck," that's pretty funny.

New coach and system for a reason, played the new style that was geared toward being ready for the playoffs before they began, injuries to multiple key guys, cap constraints, everyone healthy for the most part as we clicked and took off, but yeah...luck, things going right. Sure it played a role, but I laugh every time I hear someone bring up Pittsburgh losing to Chicago as the sole reason we got in. Get the extra points throughout the season when we ran out undermanned teams due to cap constraints also played a huge role.

Yeah, we're down Ek and Monty to start the season, but we've been without Ek for long stretches the past few seasons and while losing Monty hurts he'll be back by Christmas or close to it and the depth is far deeper than last season.

Montreal came back without Price, Weber and a couple other players who are just gone and couldn't come back. The Panthers are working to continue being a strong team to play against, they're not Montreal by any means and luck didn't play some huge role either. Panthers also won the Presidents Cup the year prior, imo it's a mistake to write them off.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Yes Bobrovsky putting up one of the best runs in playoff history in terms of goals saved above expected is certainly something that is likely to happen again and again going forward, not a fluke whatsoever. Allowing 35 shots against per game is a recipe for continued success. There’s just simply no way they don’t go 7-1 or better in OT again, all these OT games and 1 goal wins show a clear domination of the opponent, losing 9-3 to Vegas is actually the real fluke if you think about it.

They’re a good team with glaring flaws on the back end, if the goalie can catch lightning in a bottle they can definitely go on a run but 35 year old Bobrovsky and a recovering Knight aren’t who I’d expect to do that consistently.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You're joking right? Luck? I mean I get it, I don't pay a lot of attention toward other teams' goals other than what I hear on podcasts and NHL Radio, but if you think the playoffs was "Luck," that's pretty funny.

New coach and system for a reason, played the new style that was geared toward being ready for the playoffs before they began, injuries to multiple key guys, cap constraints, everyone healthy for the most part as we clicked and took off, but yeah...luck, things going right. Sure it played a role, but I laugh every time I hear someone bring up Pittsburgh losing to Chicago as the sole reason we got in. Get the extra points throughout the season when we ran out undermanned teams due to cap constraints also played a huge role.

Yeah, we're down Ek and Monty to start the season, but we've been without Ek for long stretches the past few seasons and while losing Monty hurts he'll be back by Christmas or close to it and the depth is far deeper than last season.

Montreal came back without Price, Weber and a couple other players who are just gone and couldn't come back. The Panthers are working to continue being a strong team to play against, they're not Montreal by any means and luck didn't play some huge role either. Panthers also won the Presidents Cup the year prior, imo it's a mistake to write them off.
None of what you said refuted what I said lol. You also conveniently omitted that Bob had a .930+ through 3 rounds and when he came back to earth you got dusted. There’s nothing wrong with that, but let’s call a spade a spade here lol

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Yes Bobrovsky putting up one of the best runs in playoff history in terms of goals saved above expected is certainly something that is likely to happen again and again going forward, not a fluke whatsoever. Allowing 35 shots against per game is a recipe for continued success. There’s just simply no way they don’t go 7-1 or better in OT again, all these OT games and 1 goal wins show a clear domination of the opponent, losing 9-3 to Vegas is actually the real fluke if you think about it.

They’re a good team with glaring flaws on the back end, if the goalie can catch lightning in a bottle they can definitely go on a run but 35 year old Bobrovsky and a recovering Knight aren’t who I’d expect to do that consistently.

Not just a little of Bobrovsky's success was very solid team defense by the Panthers combined with the teams that they were playing (until the SCF) just floating around the outside taking numerous low-danger perimeter shots that were easily gloved or swatted away, instead of trying to work the puck down low. If the Panthers face those kinds of perimeter-shooting darlings again, there is no reason to expect that the Panthers will have any less success in the future against them even if Bobrovsky goes out boozing the night before.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Not just a little of Bobrovsky's success was very solid team defense by the Panthers combined with the teams that they were playing (until the SCF) just floating around the outside taking numerous low-danger perimeter shots that were easily gloved or swatted away, instead of trying to work the puck down low. If the Panthers face those kinds of perimeter-shooting darlings again, there is no reason to expect that the Panthers will have any less success in the future against them even if Bobrovsky goes out boozing the night before.

The Panthers allowed the 5th most high danger chances against per game lol, their D was constantly out of position which is expected when Marc Staal is playing 20 minutes a night for you in a shutdown role.

You’d think with their elite offense, elite defense keeping everyone to the outside, and Bob putting up a historic run they wouldn’t need to take half their games to coin flip OTs.

Reactions: The90

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Guess what? Holl is a lot better than Klingberg. I get that a lot of Leaf fans on here have shown they know nothing about Klingberg, but he is so much worse than Holl. Also lost Schenn, will be a whole season without Sandin. Giordano and Brodie a year older and were visibly declining last year. Also lost Schenn, who isn't great but is way better than Klingberg.

But whatever. You think you hated Holl. Wait til you see Klingberg.

Knies isn't a top 6 forward. His one goal in 10 games shows he isn't there yet and might never be. Always been seen as a low ceiling/high floor prospect. He might be good in a checking role but probably doesn't break 30 points.

Out: O'Reilly, Acciari, Bunting, Kerfoot
In: Reeves, Bertuzzi (and his 8 regular season goals)and Domi (one of the most inconsistent forwards in the NHL, a defensive liability who's on his 6th team in 4 years because no one wants him long term

Klingberg is an upgrade over Holl just by being better offensively.

Klingberg at least provides offense.

Holl can't play defense or provide offense Holl can't do anything

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They literally don’t need to make changes. Timmins and lafferty on waivers to start the year and they’re under the cap

Defence got worse losing… drumroll please: Justin Holl.

Forwards got worse after losing Bunting, kerfoot and a month of O’Reilly, but adding Knies, Bertuzzi and Domi.

You’re not trying hard enough.

They don't even need to do that much.

Robertson and Gambrell going to the minors sheds over 1.5 million.

I think that might be what happens because I don't see a spot for Robertson

I look at Bostons roster and Ottawa's roster and I don't see how Bostons is better, with the changes they've made this off season.

Compare line to line and pairing to pairing and all but 1-2 go to Ottawa.

Boston definitely has the edge in nets though, so maybe you're weighing that more heavily?

You think Ottawa has made up 49 points on Boston in 1 year?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The Panthers allowed the 5th most high danger chances against per game lol, their D was constantly out of position which is expected when Marc Staal is playing 20 minutes a night for you in a shutdown role.

You’d think with their elite offense, elite defense keeping everyone to the outside, and Bob putting up a historic run they wouldn’t need to take half their games to coin flip OTs.
Remember when mr Cauzuki’s team the Habs played excellent team defence until Price got injured and they were the same garbage they were before he went on a heater? Same applies to Bob.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They don't even need to do that much.

Robertson and Gambrell going to the minors sheds over 1.5 million.

I think that might be what happens because I don't see a spot for Robertson

You think Ottawa has made up 49 points on Boston in 1 year?

I said look at their rosters. Like do a mock up of Bostons lineup and then Ottawa's and tell me Bostons looks stronger. Because to me it doesn't, but I'm obviously biased.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I said look at their rosters. Like do a mock up of Bostons lineup and then Ottawa's and tell me Bostons looks stronger. Because to me it doesn't, but I'm obviously biased.

They don't look stronger at center but 49 points is A LOT

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
None of what you said refuted what I said lol. You also conveniently omitted that Bob had a .930+ through 3 rounds and when he came back to earth you got dusted. There’s nothing wrong with that, but let’s call a spade a spade here lol

Lmao, the f*** are you taking about? Clearly you don’t have a clue, just excuses you’ve heard for why the laughs got smoked. Bob was not amazing in the first round and the guys needed to score to get past Boston. He was great against Toronto and Carolina, but again, it’s always laughable when the uneducated talk as if they’re in the know.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They don't look stronger at center but 49 points is A LOT

It is but I wouldn't expect Boston as a team to shoot 9.68% (2nd) as a team at 5v5. On the opposite end I don't expect Ottawa (32nd) to shoot at 7.49% either. That's a big gap that I suspect will be much closer this upcoming season.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Lmao, the f*** are you taking about? Clearly you don’t have a clue, just excuses you’ve heard for why the laughs got smoked. Bob was not amazing in the first round and the guys needed to score to get past Boston. He was great against Toronto and Carolina, but again, it’s always laughable when the uneducated talk as if they’re in the know.
What does one need to get educated? Let me know please.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Oh, and not to let facts get in the way or anything.

But, to bring receipts for your very educated yet garbage/ made up delusion to the table.

Against Toronto, Bob put up:
Aaaand .962
For an average of (drumroll please):

But yeah man. Team defence and all that. Against Carolina was worse.

Against Carolina:

For an average of:

It’s an absolute joke you think that playoff run was anything other than being carried by:

1. Timely goals and
2. An all world goaltending performance. Not unlike montreal 2 years before. Maybe I have a little trouble reading stats though so let me know pal.

The facts don’t care about your feelings bud. I had the same arguments with montreal fans. Bob was just over .900 for the regular season and was well over .950 (.953) for 2.5 rounds and that’s the result. Are you expecting .910 or .953 next year? That’s your difference between first or a wildcard team. (We both know the answer to that)

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad