Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Boston
4. Florida
5. Ottawa
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Admittedly, 3-7 is tough af. Detroit's blue line looks sketchy. I don't understand why Buffalo refuse to address goaltending. I suppose they still got 6M in space. They should get Hellebuyck, so they can finally make the damn playoffs.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
It’s gonna be a tough division. The only teams that I don’t think have a shot at it are Montreal and Detroit. The only team I think are locks are Toronto and Florida.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Looks like a lot of people is underestimating Detroit's talent pool. It's built from the goalie and out. Sure, there might not be any 100 point players there, but there are a couple of great goalie prospects, 1 top 2 defenseman, 3 top 4 defensemen, a couple of high end 2-way centers, and a few other forwards that has a really high ceiling, although low floor.

Will they all take off? Certainly not, but to say that the prospect pool is bad is incredibly short sighted.

Last edited:

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This is an exceedingly difficult year to predict. I expect Florida will place higher than they did last year, that playoff run probably gives them a jolt and their group seems to be gelling together. Toronto will get off to a slow start, as usual, but should still make the playoffs. Tampa and Boston will be in the mix. I think those four teams all battle for the top four spots.

It'll be a dog fight between Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit. Of that group, I like Buffalo's odds the best at either stealing a playoff spot from an established team or landing a wildcard. Really interested to see how those three clubs measure up this year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Boston
4. Florida
5. Ottawa
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Admittedly, 3-7 is tough af. Detroit's blue line looks sketchy af. I don't understand why Buffalo refuse to address goaltending. I suppose they still got 6M in space. They should get Hellebuyck, so they can finally make the damn playoffs.
Looks good. I’m guessing Toronto runs away with the division. The bottom teams will be the Habs and Detroit.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Boston
4. Buffalo
5. Toronto
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal

Over the entire course of the Matthews era, the Leafs have never played at a pace that would place them 5th in the division. Care to explain how this iteration of the team is the worst in 8 years? Whether you believe in them in the playoffs or not, they’ve been top 3 in regular season points over the past 8 years.

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Over the entire course of the Matthews era, the Leafs have never played at a pace that would place them 5th in the division. Care to explain how this iteration of the team is the worst in 8 years? Whether you believe in them in the playoffs or not, they’ve been top 5 in regular season points over the past 8 years.
I know you are not quoting me, and I don't think they will finish 5th. I think they will finish 1 or 2, but there are unknowns, and legitimate concerns. They are still over the cap and that means they will need to make changes. Now, those changes might make the Leafs better or worse.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
1. Toronto - usually do well in regular season. Team looks great on paper.
2. Florida - rebound from last year. Ride team momentum from playoffs.
3. Tampa - still a solid core, could see dropping if another team surprises.
4. Boston - pieces are still there but on the decline (how long have we been saying this?)
5. Ottawa - wildcard team that could jump. I like the additions and Korpi helps on the back end.
6. Buffalo - another bit of a wildcard that could overperform but I like the way the Sabres are trending (how long have we been saying this as well?)
7. Detroit - coming along but just don't think are as far as the others in terms of progress.
8. Montreal - young squad, great upside. Can see finishing with similar points as Detroit.

Reactions: Laus723

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I know you are not quoting me, and I don't think they will finish 5th. I think they will finish 1 or 2, but there are unknowns, and legitimate concerns. They are still over the cap and that means they will need to make changes. Now, those changes might make the Leafs better or worse.

I don't have an issue with anywhere from 1 to even 4 (though I disagree with anything other than 1 or 2). 5 has absolutely no basis historically or currently based on the team on paper.

No they haven’t

Yes they are. Third.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Over the entire course of the Matthews era, the Leafs have never played at a pace that would place them 5th in the division. Care to explain how this iteration of the team is the worst in 8 years? Whether you believe in them in the playoffs or not, they’ve been top 3 in regular season points over the past 8 years.
They got worse this year.

Defence got worse.

Forwards got worse.

Nylander might be gone which makes things even harder

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They literally don’t need to make changes. Timmins and lafferty on waivers to start the year and they’re under the cap

They got worse this year.

Defence got worse.

Forwards got worse.

Nylander might be gone which makes things even harder
Defence got worse losing… drumroll please: Justin Holl.

Forwards got worse after losing Bunting, kerfoot and a month of O’Reilly, but adding Knies, Bertuzzi and Domi.

You’re not trying hard enough.

Reactions: Rob Brown

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It should be good, but it’s still unproven. Ottawa was not very good post-TDL so the only sample size we have is ’meh’. Zub is also not really a needle-mover.
Another snag is that Zub (as the worst of the 4) is the only righty, so someone needs to play their off side. That’s not the end of the world but could lower the on-ice impact vs. what the name-value looks like on paper.

Lol so the top 4 of Chabot, chychrun, Sanderson, and zub isn't good because last year when Chabot and chychrun were out, the team didn't do so well...

Hmmm...

Not sure that argument makes as much sense as you think it does lol.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
They literally don’t need to make changes. Timmins and lafferty on waivers to start the year and they’re under the cap

Defence got worse losing… drumroll please: Justin Holl.

Forwards got worse after losing Bunting, kerfoot and a month of O’Reilly, but adding Knies, Bertuzzi and Domi.

You’re not trying hard enough.

Guess what? Holl is a lot better than Klingberg. I get that a lot of Leaf fans on here have shown they know nothing about Klingberg, but he is so much worse than Holl. Also lost Schenn, will be a whole season without Sandin. Giordano and Brodie a year older and were visibly declining last year. Also lost Schenn, who isn't great but is way better than Klingberg.

But whatever. You think you hated Holl. Wait til you see Klingberg.

Knies isn't a top 6 forward. His one goal in 10 games shows he isn't there yet and might never be. Always been seen as a low ceiling/high floor prospect. He might be good in a checking role but probably doesn't break 30 points.

Out: O'Reilly, Acciari, Bunting, Kerfoot
In: Reeves, Bertuzzi (and his 8 regular season goals)and Domi (one of the most inconsistent forwards in the NHL, a defensive liability who's on his 6th team in 4 years because no one wants him long term

Reactions: Laus723

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't have an issue with anywhere from 1 to even 4 (though I disagree with anything other than 1 or 2). 5 has absolutely no basis historically or currently based on the team on paper.

Yes they are. Third.

They were 8th one year, you never said the sum of all the years.

• Haha
Reactions: BayStBullies

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Guess what? Holl is a lot better than Klingberg. I get that a lot of Leaf fans on here have shown they know nothing about Klingberg, but he is so much worse than Holl. Also lost Schenn, will be a whole season without Sandin. Giordano and Brodie a year older and were visibly declining last year. Also lost Schenn, who isn't great but is way better than Klingberg.

Knies isn't a top 6 forward. His one goal in 10 games shows he isn't there yet and might never be. Always been seen as a low ceiling/high floor prospect. He might be good in a checking role but probably doesn't break 30 points.

In: Reeves, Bertuzzi (and his 8 regular season goals)and Domi (one of the most inconsistent forwards in the NHL, a defensive liability who's on his 6th team in 4 years because no one wants him long term

Thanks for the laugh.

Also, lol at including dead line acquisitions as the team getting worse for the regular season. Those players were there for like 20% of the season and the Leafs played some of their worst hockey when they got them all.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

I actually agree with you that Holl is better than Klingberg, but your argument still makes no sense because prior to acquiring ROR, Acciari and Schenn, they were already on pace for a 110+ point team. For what you believe to be true, you would have to think that the additions of Reaves, Klingberg, Knies, Domi and Bertuzzi are so much worse than the team from September-trade deadline last year that they drop from a 110+ point team to a ~95 point team, which is impossible to believe rationally.

Again, this is a team that is so historically elite in the regular season that they play at a 100+ point pace without Auston Matthews.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for the laugh.

Also, lol at including dead line acquisitions as the team getting worse for the regular season. Those players were there for like 20% of the season and the Leafs played some of their worst hockey when they got them all.
Oh. So they have the exact same team?
Like... Engvall And Sandin?

The90

Feb 27, 2017

One of the poorest troll attempts I’ve seen to be honest. 2/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad