Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Wait, if Trenin is going to be UFA after 1 year, then I actually like Trenin's side A LOT more. :oops:

The team offer in that case is not only an utterly RIDICULOUS low-ball, but it's also basically saying Trenin won't be with us moving forward. If you are going to insult the player in arbitration, low-ball him on salary, and then sign him to a contract that lets him walk as a UFA afterwards... uh... :huh:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Who'd you like one the team/who you can stomach on the team.
I could stomach Kane on the team very easily... IF the NHL granted us $10M in magical bonus Cap space and we had to give up nothing to acquire him.

Since that's not gonna happen... is "neither" an option? :dunno:

I'll take Anton Stralman at $750k over both those guys. :thumbu:

Reactions: BigFatCat999

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I could stomach Kane on the team very easily... IF the NHL granted us $10M in magical bonus Cap space and we had to give up nothing to acquire him.

Since that's not gonna happen... is "neither" an option? :dunno:

I'll take Anton Stralman at $750k over both those guys. :thumbu:
I think we could fit him in at the deadline if things are going well and are likely one of the few teams that could

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's my understanding arbitration can not cover UFA years so if we are asking for two then we are pushing him right to UFA and Trenin isn't, which is just backwards all the way around.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's my understanding arbitration can not cover UFA years so if we are asking for two then we are pushing him right to UFA and Trenin isn't, which is just backwards all the way around.
It makes sense in the context of the cap being flat this year and taking a big jump next year. Trenin hopes that by taking a one year deal and playing well he can score a longer, more lucrative deal next year, whereas Poile already is going to have a lot of mouths to feed next summer and, if he cant get 3 or more years at good money now, is willing to risk him reaching UFA in exchange for knowing that he wont have to give him a raise next summer

Last edited:
Reactions: Predsanddead24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Poile and co need some stability going into next season with Jeannot, carrier, and Fabbro as rfas with arbitration rights. Glass could also cause some issues if he has a breakout year. We are gonna be tight against the cap and that extra year of cost certainty would be really helpful

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Poile and co need some stability going into next season with Jeannot, carrier, and Fabbro as rfas with arbitration rights. Glass could also cause some issues if he has a breakout year. We are gonna be tight against the cap and that extra year of cost certainty would be really helpful
Yeah, in some ways next season is our "all-in" year. We have a bunch of RFAs up next summer and it is unlikely we can keep the whole band together beyond next season. We will have 13 players under contract with $13 mil in cap with Jeannot, Carrier, Fabbro and Glass without a contract.

Getting Trenin for two years at like $2 mil per year would be a fantastic deal for short-term, although uncertain beyond it.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Definitely hadn't thought about it through that lens but makes sense. I'd guess it's also possible that Trenin has expressed no interest in a longer term deal so Poile pretty much realizes he's gone in two years anyways so might as well get him as cheap as possible for the next two seasons.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Definitely hadn't thought about it through that lens but makes sense. I'd guess it's also possible that Trenin has expressed no interest in a longer term deal so Poile pretty much realizes he's gone in two years anyways so might as well get him as cheap as possible for the next two seasons.
Not really surprising I guess. Trenin to me has always felt like a guy that really wanted to be somewhere else. That said he has always been willing to play his role even if that is his ambition.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, in some ways next season is our "all-in" year. We have a bunch of RFAs up next summer and it is unlikely we can keep the whole band together beyond next season. We will have 13 players under contract with $13 mil in cap with Jeannot, Carrier, Fabbro and Glass without a contract.

Getting Trenin for two years at like $2 mil per year would be a fantastic deal for short-term, although uncertain beyond it.
Yeh I think we are going to have to make a trade or buy someone out after this season. I think Fabbro and carrier likely take up Atleast 6-7 between the two and if Jeannot has another season like last there’s another 3-4 and just like that there’s almost all the capspace. Add in Trenin at 2M and I we will struggle to fill out the roster and stay cap compliant even if the cap jumps up to 86

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Welcome to being a Cap team! With contracts expiring no less. Tough business to manage and you will lose some good players.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It makes sense in the context of the cap being flat this year and taking a big jump next year. Trenin hopes that by taking a one year deal and playing well he can score a longer, more lucrative deal next year, whereas Poile already is going to have a lot of mouths to feed next summer and, if he cant get 3 or more years at good money now, is willing to risk him reaching UFA in exchange for knowing that he wont have to give him a raise next summer
But there is no expectation that the Cap will take a "big jump next year", is there? Everything I've read has been that the escrow debt is so large that it cannot possibly be paid off that quickly, regardless of how optimistic anybody is on revenues, even including how good things were this year, even including new TV deal, etc. There is simply no way it jumps, regardless? Basically, we already know the Cap is only going up $1M next year, no matter what. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Not really surprising I guess. Trenin to me has always felt like a guy that really wanted to be somewhere else. That said he has always been willing to play his role even if that is his ambition.
Yes, but I think he has basically wanted to be somewhere else due wholly to being underappreciated pretty much throughout his tenure here, at every level, and the team filing this case at a scant $1.35M is just icing on the cake, really. If he wants to be somewhere else, it's for good reason, and the culpability for that rests wholly on the organization's shoulders, doesn't it?

I don't feel like it would have taken all that much to turn that situation around and make him feel a little more appreciated. He scored 17 goals for us and was one of our best players in the playoffs. He just watched a player who was CLEARLY inferior to him get traded elsewhere and handed a $2.75M contract. It just seems at every turn he has been held back a little by this organization, so I can easily understand how that would grate on him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes, but I think he has basically wanted to be somewhere else due wholly to being underappreciated pretty much throughout his tenure here, at every level, and the team filing this case at a scant $1.35M is just icing on the cake, really. If he wants to be somewhere else, it's for good reason, and the culpability for that rests wholly on the organization's shoulders, doesn't it?

I don't feel like it would have taken all that much to turn that situation around and make him feel a little more appreciated. He scored 17 goals for us and was one of our best players in the playoffs. He just watched a player who was CLEARLY inferior to him get traded elsewhere and handed a $2.75M contract. It just seems at every turn he has been held back a little by this organization, so I can easily understand how that would grate on him.
While I agree with his early tenure in the AHL I don't think he has been held back once he got here, although I guess you could make some bit of a argument under Lavi. He's gotten the same opportunities as about anyone, and played a pretty large role on the team last season, especially considering our 3rd basically became our 2nd. Yeah Poile lowballed him, but just about every team does going into arbitration, just like every player goes in high on the other end.

However my feeling doesn't have much to do with his play or anything, more to do with a lot of what we were hearing out of Milwaukee before he got here, not to mention him using the KHL as a tactic for his last contract. I've always felt like he probably felt a bit like an outsider being the only Russian in the organization of any note until the last draft or so.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Anyway, I don't think any of us here would bat an eyelid at the $2.4M number, we haven't done so all summer. If you like the player and would like to keep him, there's no law that says you have to follow the NHL tradition of making lowball arbitration filings highlighting player flaws and limitations. Maybe if you've been an NHL General Manager for 50 years you've learned to filter your feelings out of the process just to save a few hundred thousand dollars for some unknowable contingency fund. But expecting the same understanding from a proud young hockey player seems myopic.

Whereas instead of letting things get to the point of the KHL card being played, you could just recognize the player belonged on the team full-time based on his performance, bump him a little bit from the league minimum to even $800k or something in the last round, a token, a drop in the bucket of the team payroll, you could then at least make an arbitration offer that wasn't just eye-poppingly insulting for the season he just had. It doesn't have to be the full $2.4M. But $1.8M maybe. Something that is at least at some kind of lower threshold of reasonability. It's like they have been going out of their way to antagonize him. Or to demand a level of humility and loyalty that isn't truly owed.

I'm just disappointed because I've liked the way Trenin plays and will be sad to see him playing elsewhere in the near future. :(

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Where are you getting this about him not wanting to be here? Is there some quote out there or are you just making assumptions based on your perception of how the team does or doesnt value him?

Reactions: Gh24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The Turris contract continuing to screw us for the next six years is not going to be fun.

I'm also still on the fence on how I feel about the McDonagh acquisition. We obviously need the defensive help next year and I expect him to play well, but if we end up with another first round exit and then have to lose a young player or two because of cap concerns that is going to look like a poor choice.

Reactions: weeze

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The Turris contract continuing to screw us for the next six years is not going to be fun.

I'm also still on the fence on how I feel about the McDonagh acquisition. We obviously need the defensive help next year and I expect him to play well, but if we end up with another first round exit and then have to lose a young player or two because of cap concerns that is going to look like a poor choice.

Worse case; IF and I repeat IF the Preds suck like a Hoover in a singularity. The trade chips will be...

Trenin; 1 or 2 year contract -----------> See below
McCarron; 1 year -------> Sanford/Jankowski/Sherwood/ETC
Nino; 2 years -------> Tomassino or Tolvanen
Boro; 1 year -------->Gravel
Lanky; 1 year ------> Askarov

ALL of those guys are replaceable in Milwaukee players. The team's "core" is set for 2 years.

Also, this team POSSIBLY is a top ten team offense. With McD, theoretically the D is better.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Does anyone know if there has been any arbitration sessions actually held yet? I haven’t heard. Could Tenin’s (assuming it’s not settled) be this years only one?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anyway, I don't think any of us here would bat an eyelid at the $2.4M number, we haven't done so all summer. If you like the player and would like to keep him, there's no law that says you have to follow the NHL tradition of making lowball arbitration filings highlighting player flaws and limitations. Maybe if you've been an NHL General Manager for 50 years you've learned to filter your feelings out of the process just to save a few hundred thousand dollars for some unknowable contingency fund. But expecting the same understanding from a proud young hockey player seems myopic.

Whereas instead of letting things get to the point of the KHL card being played, you could just recognize the player belonged on the team full-time based on his performance, bump him a little bit from the league minimum to even $800k or something in the last round, a token, a drop in the bucket of the team payroll, you could then at least make an arbitration offer that wasn't just eye-poppingly insulting for the season he just had. It doesn't have to be the full $2.4M. But $1.8M maybe. Something that is at least at some kind of lower threshold of reasonability. It's like they have been going out of their way to antagonize him. Or to demand a level of humility and loyalty that isn't truly owed.

I'm just disappointed because I've liked the way Trenin plays and will be sad to see him playing elsewhere in the near future. :(
You could, but then again it's not your money nor are you working daily with those that are giving you that money. It's really easy for us to stand here and say we should just give some player the money, but it's not coming out of our pocket. We also are a cap team now, which means every little bit you can save matters. 400-500k isn't much in the grand scheme, but it is the difference in being able to offer Forsberg 8.5 vs 8 million. It's also the difference in being able to bring a guy up or being able to run a deeper bench through the year. If he continues to grow and perform he will get what he is looking for, whether that is with us or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad