Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
i must be mistaken. if we are talking next years alone on talent then we would have to be top 5 going into next year after adding McDonagh. i also said I was assuming a lot as far progressions and regressions. until I see it on the ice, I can’t say we have a top 5 defense.

i am not using goals against as the end all be all. just trying to back up what my mind tells me. we were also 16th in the league in points scored by defenseman. our bottom pair is a black hole offensively (was). Fabbro got hurt and we lacked depth. Ekholm had a down year compared to my expectations last year as well.

i think you said it above but taking by far the most penalties in the league is skewing the argument in my favor a little bit as far as GA, total points by defense, ect
No our points were definitely down. Some of that was the talent, some of that was by design. Notice our forwards point totals were way up? I really don't care that we dropped off there, we needed too. Offense shouldn't run through the defense as much as it has for us in the past.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I knew our PK and penalties taken was bad, but I didn't realize it was the hole that was putting us under. What is the expectation going to be there? I don't see significant changes to our PK units aside from adding Mac. Does Nino PK?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Sample size is small for the Preds and vs. the worst possible opponent for measurement but I thought the Josi category call out was funny:

1) Josi: Open Door
2) Ekholm: High Risk
3) Carrier: Forcing Dump-Ins
4) Fabbro: Brick Wall (I'm assuming this is Fabbro but not certain since the name is covered)

I think folks can discount analytics to a point but in relationship to one another using the same background metrics I do find comparisons to be interesting. The Colorado defense is absolutely amazing based on this chart.

Hahaha, based on this, our pairings would be Josi-Fabbro and Ekholm Carrier, to achieve balance anyway....

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Any chance lauzon could be matched with Josi in the future (not necessarily next season)? He’s supposed to be a defensive dman.

Puts a defensive dmen on each pairing and maintains 1 very experienced dman per pairing
Josi - Lauzon
McDonough - Fabbro
Ekholm - Carrier

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Any chance lauzon could be matched with Josi in the future (not necessarily next season)? He’s supposed to be a defensive dman.

Puts a defensive dmen on each pairing and maintains 1 very experienced dman per pairing
Josi - Lauzon
McDonough - Fabbro
Ekholm - Carrier
Are you thinking even distribution of even strength minutes for these lines?

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Puljujarvi signed for $3M with 14g/22a. Lundestrom for $1.8M with 16g/13a.

Or I guess... Kunin signed for $2.75M. :rolleyes:

Somewhere in that range seems obvious, Where our Cap and lineup is at, I wouldn't be pushing too hard for a "bargain" if I was in Poile's shoes. We're obviously comfortable with something like 1-yr at $2.4M. Trenin is obviously comfortable with a 1-yr deal since he elected to go to arbitration. So I don't really see that much to be gained in hashing out the process and trying to shave him down too much. If I was doing these things... from either side actually... I guess I'd be a little more willing to just buy some goodwill for the next contract as opposed to going at it tooth and nail on this one. :dunno:
My guess is that Trenin probably wants more term than is being offered.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Puljujarvi signed for $3M with 14g/22a. Lundestrom for $1.8M with 16g/13a.

Or I guess... Kunin signed for $2.75M. :rolleyes:

Somewhere in that range seems obvious, Where our Cap and lineup is at, I wouldn't be pushing too hard for a "bargain" if I was in Poile's shoes. We're obviously comfortable with something like 1-yr at $2.4M. Trenin is obviously comfortable with a 1-yr deal since he elected to go to arbitration. So I don't really see that much to be gained in hashing out the process and trying to shave him down too much. If I was doing these things... from either side actually... I guess I'd be a little more willing to just buy some goodwill for the next contract as opposed to going at it tooth and nail on this one. :dunno:
I think Trenin best tracks with Lundestrom. Nearly identical in terms of production and games played. Both puljujarvi and Kunin have about 100 games more of nhl experience than Trenin. Just comes down to term.

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
I think our biggest flaw in our defense last season was depth of actual defensive defensemen, I also think with the additions of Lauzon and McDonagh, have helped that.

Going into last season we had Benning and Boro as the 3rd paring which neither are talented enough to be shutdown defenders, Carrier can't play a stay at home role or anything close to it. Fabbro got better but he's not there, so all you really had was Ekholm. That's not much balance. And honestly, you want Ekholm to be able to join the rush some too, having Carrier as a partner prevented that. That's why I'd like to see Ekholm with Fabbro, I think having a more reliable partner will help Fabbro, and having a more defensive minded partner will also allow Ekholm to join the rush a bit more. IMHO, Ekholm is better joining the rush than Carrier. McDonagh is used to that shutdown role, so put him with Josi, to continue to allow Josi to be that rover style defenseman.

Carrier can carry the puck with Lauzon, in fact Lauzon needs that type partner, so they help balance each other while playing more protected minutes.

As far as how bad were we up front. McCarron, Cousins, Tolvanen, Luff, Kunin, Smith, all had below expected seasons for whatever reason. I think the additions Glass, Nino and the maturation of Tomasino and Tolvanen will help us there.

I'd like to know the defenses you have 1-5 if the Predators are 6th. As well as what 6 goalies are better than Saros.

Not saying you're wrong, just curious.
Correct but forwards have to play defense as well and there were not a lot of heads on swivels.

Reactions: predhead1

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
Clock is ticking(faster now) on Trenin. Time to close this.
I am good going up to 5 years for him at a decent price. I think he is a safe bet, plays physical and stays healthy, Doubt he will regress and is a likely candidate to take next step.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
I am good going up to 5 years for him at a decent price. I think he is a safe bet, plays physical and stays healthy, Doubt he will regress and is a likely candidate to take next step.
Definitely. I wouldn't mind giving him a contract similar to jankroks maybe less term w more money or the opposite. But I agree he's a safe bet and will likely progress. But how much does he want to bet on himself is the question?

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019

Poile has a financial plan that must extend beyond this coming year. We’ve discussed here how many increases the next couple of years will be pending. Poile cannot just give in too much and hurt that plan. But if these reported numbers and terms are correct, then he may be a little low. I admit I’m surprised by these numbers and the terms. 2x2 would seem fair to both parties.

Reactions: Myopinionsarewrong

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Poile has a financial plan that must extend beyond this coming year. We’ve discussed here how many increases the next couple of years will be pending. Poile cannot just give in too much and hurt that plan. But if these reported numbers and terms are correct, then he may be a little low. I admit I’m surprised by these numbers and the terms. 2x2 would seem fair to both parties.

Those are arbitration going in numbers ... not necessarily anything either side has used in recent negotiations.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
2 years would take Trenin to UFA right? If that’s the case I’m not sure why we’d want to do a two year deal and lose team control. Seems to me a one year deal or a 3-4 year deal would be best from our perspective.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
2 years would take Trenin to UFA right? If that’s the case I’m not sure why we’d want to do a two year deal and lose team control. Seems to me a one year deal or a 3-4 year deal would be best from our perspective.
Two years gives a known number when working to fit in next summer's free agent crop ... Jeannot, Glass, Fabbro, Carrier, and the rest.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Arbitration cant involve more than a 1 or 2 year contract. I'm guessing poile would like to get him for 3 or 4 years at a manageable number

Reactions: Myopinionsarewrong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad