Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think it's going to be a real deciding factor how they come back from the 11 days off. Whatever happens in the WPG and NJ games, they're still going to be in the race when it starts, but the longer break last year was a real turning point in the team going down the tubes. It doesn't seem like the team has a lot to gain on the injury front, we've been pretty healthy all year compared to most teams. Hopefully they find some magical way to emerge ready from that break.
:crossfing
This team doesn't have a lot of big injuries to overcome but it is fatigued ... 15 games in 28 days heading into the all-star break.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think we are what we are at this point, a mediocre team that is probably not going to make it without some help. Hopefully Poile doesn't do something silly trying to get us there anyways.
Yeah. We're window shoppers. Ralphie on the sidewalk outside looking in through the store window. The old man taking out an advance on his paycheck to buy a glowing leg fetish lamp for the front window back home isn't going to help much.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
He's a forward, not a goalie or defenseman? Here's the link: Post-Game Talk: - Preds @ Ducks - The Who Sucks More Edition @ 4 PM

Patrick Cote(LW, 2nd round draft pick) didn't score his first (and only) goal until career game 67 ... his 59th as a Pred. The filter and sort on NHL.com doesn't detail which game played a guy like P. Cote scored his one goal ... or a guy like Zeiler who scored in his third career game, then never again (87 games without a goal). It simply shows they have X or more games played and one career goal.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Patrick Cote(LW, 2nd round draft pick) didn't score his first (and only) goal until career game 67 ... his 59th as a Pred. The filter and sort on NHL.com doesn't detail which game played a guy like P. Cote scored his one goal ... or a guy like Zeiler who scored in his third career game, then never again (87 games without a goal). It simply shows they have X or more games played and one career goal.
He looked like the possible suspect you had in mind when I looked. I couldn't find the exact game so thanks for clarifying.

Even if the original list is lacking, any serious analysis confirms that Cole Smith is one of the outliers. His offensive goal production for a forward is anemic.

On the other hand, the game of hockey isn't simply goal production.

Again, congrats to the kid. Glad he finally got one. And Granlund too.

New whipping boys will have to be found. Start the "Waive Johansen" chat! :sarcasm:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
He looked like the possible suspect you had in mind when I looked. I couldn't find the exact game so thanks for clarifying.

Even if the original list is lacking, any serious analysis confirms that Cole Smith is one of the outliers. His offensive goal production for a forward is anemic.

On the other hand, the game of hockey isn't simply goal production.

Again, congrats to the kid. Glad he finally got one. And Granlund too.

New whipping boys will have to be found. Start the "Waive Johansen" chat! :sarcasm:

Smith generates chances but didn't convert until last night. 1g, 7 a in 5on5 play ... his six 5on5 primary assists is tied for third on the team in raw numbers, best in per 60.

He was nowhere near the team record for games without a goal by a forward which stands at 92.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Smith generates chances but didn't convert until last night. 1g, 7 a in 5on5 play ... his six 5on5 primary assists is tied for third on the team in raw numbers, best in per 60.

He was nowhere near the team record for games without a goal by a forward which stands at 92.
By a fighter I’m guessing. Someone that likely played 5 minutes a night.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Good guess. Cote had almost as many minutes in the box as on the ice and averaged 4:23 minutes TOI. He also did time in prison in Canada for robbing banks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRJMPreds

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

So is it games or minutes that matter to you? It did take Smith 40+ games to get a goal while somehow generating more primary 5on5 assists than most forwards above him on the depth chart.

Fixed. We had Belak at the end of his career, but yeah he barely played and was useless as a goal scorer. :)

PS: He scored a goal in his first 13 games. Wade Belak Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

Belak then didn't score for over 100 games after that first goal ... didn't score a goal as a Pred.

Right now Cole Smith is t-3 among Preds forwards in 5on5 primary assists ... tied with Granlund in both 5on5 goals and primary assists, better production per 60 than Granny.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
So is it games or minutes that matter to you? It did take Smith 40+ games to get a goal while somehow generating more primary 5on5 assists than most forwards above him on the depth chart.

Belak then didn't score for over 100 games after that first goal ... didn't score a goal as a Pred.

Right now Cole Smith is t-3 among Preds forwards in 5on5 primary assists ... tied with Granlund in both 5on5 goals and primary assists, better production per 60 than Granny.
With me? Wtf are you even arguing?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Vancouver could.... atleast we arent them. Bruce Boudreau is available now. Is he worth a look over hynes?
Aaaanybody is worth a look over Hynes, right? But at the same time... Boudreau is 68 now, he hasn't had much success lately. Also it sounded like for all he was a small offensive player himself in his day, he was also holding back some of the smaller guys there (Garland, Hoglander, Rathbone). But who knows. The Canucks have certainly been putrid defensively this year. Anyway, no idea how he could actually be WORSE than Hynes, but I'd still rather see somebody fresher, younger. I would still prefer to see Taylor promoted.
:dunno:

Reactions: triggrman

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Aaaanybody is worth a look over Hynes, right? But at the same time... Boudreau is 68 now, he hasn't had much success lately. Also it sounded like for all he was a small offensive player himself in his day, he was also holding back some of the smaller guys there (Garland, Hoglander, Rathbone). But who knows. The Canucks have certainly been putrid defensively this year. Anyway, no idea how he could actually be WORSE than Hynes, but I'd still rather see somebody fresher, younger. I would still prefer to see Taylor promoted.

Agree with this- Boudreau definitely would not be the best first choice. But would I take him right now over Hynes?? A million percent yes.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I personally think any coach saddled with the canucks defensive group is going to fail. I havent looked much into Boudreau but it does seem like his winning % has decreased as the years have gone by so maybe he hasnt been able to adapt to the way the nhl has changed over the years

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I personally think any coach saddled with the canucks defensive group is going to fail. I havent looked much into Boudreau but it does seem like his winning % has decreased as the years have gone by so maybe he hasnt been able to adapt to the way the nhl has changed over the years
Boudreau is a more offensive-minded Lavy--once the profanity-laced rah rahs stop paying dividends he's past his expiration date.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
As a counterpoint at the start of the 2015 season you could have called Hynes the fresh face with potential and Trotz a retread coach who couldn't get his teams past the second round.

I think retread coaches can be fine and new coaches can be fine depending on the situation. Given that Karl Taylor is among the most deserving first time head coaches and has been in our system so I'm perfectly happy with him. Boudreau wouldn't be my top choice, but if the right retread coach were to come available (like Mike Sullivan for instance) I wouldn't be averse to that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad