Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Sissons is a fluid situation as far as faceoffs goes when he's on the ice and he does slot in for Novak some right now. Obviously he is also a huge part of the PK but I don't see him taking the center responsibility in the Dzone to cover for anyone. Sure there are times that he's the first forward back and takes over that position during the rush sort out but he has been playing out high in the zone as a wing the vast majority of the time.
Except when the Herd was out there in the 3rd period.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Except when the Herd was out there in the 3rd period.
Right, that's when he was slotted in for Novak and actually playing center. I think it's better that Novak misses shifts, if they want the defensive experience of Sissons, rather than being moved back and forth from center to wing. If he's going to be a center he has to develop as one.

They've done the same thing with Glass and Parssinen this season as their icetime and responsibilities have shifted.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Yet another pathetic and embarrassing loss last night. Completely unacceptable.

Go back and look at the Blues schedule- they haven't had an easy, blowout win like last night in over a month, before they were hit with a ton of injuries. Even bottom feeders like the freaking Blackhawks gave them a better game.

The absolute only thing that can happen with this team rest of the year that will give me any joy is the firing of Hynes- and we all know that is not going to happen......

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Why are the players playing so poorly? These guys are pros and veterans. Some are highly paid to play a relatively simple game. Whether it is the coach or the locker room or voodoo, I want to know why.

Reactions: Byrddog

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Why are the players playing so poorly? These guys are pros and veterans. Some are highly paid to play a relatively simple game. Whether it is the coach or the locker room or voodoo, I want to know why.
Half of the teams in the NHL are saying the same thing. Heck, half of the teams in all sports are saying the same thing! While some of the other half seem to always find a way to play a good game every game and their star players are earning their $$ night in and out. Heck there are players who aren't star players playing better and scoring a bunch more points than our star players and making half the salary. Why is that? Why is it our Star players seem to be not very star(ish) most of the time?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

While I do 100000 percent believe a new, better coach would yield much improved results, the players also deserve plenty of blame here.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
St Louis didn't have tow of their best players last night and we still got blown out.

Next 4 games are against the Kings, Jets, Devil's and Golden Knights. If we drop 3/4, I really don't know how we recover. And I do think we drop 3/4.

That's not even including the last month of the season, a murders run of 8 games in 14 days against some of the best teams in the league/teams we are directly competing with for playoff spots that we haven't beaten this year.

STL
DAL
VGK
CAR
WPG
CGY
MIN
COL

I just don't see it. The roster isn't good enough. The coaching sure as sure isnt good enough.

Pathetic

Reactions: nullednumbed

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
These are the mornings it sucks to be a Preds fan, pretty disappointing result last night. A couple interesting notes as far as icetime goes.

Granlund with only 12:27 TOI. Going by the shift chart it doesn't seem to be an injury, maybe he's finally getting demoted (second lowest in TOI) for his poor play.

The only player with less TOI is Smith at 10:14. He only had 3 shifts in the first period, got rewarded in the second with 7 shift because, on his first shift, he produced the hard working assist on Sissons goal but then only 3 in the third. Sure he was in the box for 5 minutes in the third and the team was trailing but he didn't even get a shift on the PK.

Both of these players that have been force fed PK time this year only got one PK shift in the second period. Not sure if this really means anything but I find it interesting. If that's all the time Smith is going to get surely it's time to see a youngster come up in the top 6 and push him out of the lineup.

It's also good to see Lauzon and Fabbro are starting to creep up the TOI charts, Lauzon more so with his PK time but even strength time is even. As a matter of fact Lauzon, Carrier, and Fabbro all with basically the same ES TOI with 15-16 minutes, Ekholm and McD are even at 17-18, and of course Josi has the most with 20. That's really good sign for the defensive group, they haven't had that kind of consistency through all six defenders in a very long time.

Reactions: ShagDaddy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Both of these players that have been force fed PK time this year only got one PK shift in the second period. Not sure if this really means anything but I find it interesting.
To add to that here's the penalty killing stats for our forwards with more than 30 seconds of PK TOI per game played:
1674228427946.png

Granlund has been pretty awful on the PK this year although he does have the lowest icetime excluding Tolvanen. Smith is also near the bottom of the list. Despite his nice assist last night I still don't understand how he consistently gets in the lineup. Even is we just want a bottom six type Jankowsk is better than Smith in pretty much every aspect yet Smith is somehow above him on the depth chart. Let alone leaving some more offensively skilled guys in Milwaukee when we've once again reverted back to our inability to score.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
If anything is going to get a coaching change during this season it is the wildly inconsistent goal scoring and PP% ... which run in almost 8-10 game cycles making it almost consistently inconsistent. The PP goes on a 1 for 25ish streak ... then goes on a 24% run ... over and over. The team is currently on one of the lower parts of the cycle .. starting around the Caps game where it ended a five game PP goal streak and started the current 1 for 25 run. The correlation between PP% and pts% is there this season ... the over 60% of points streaks coinciding with the peaks and the winning 3-4 out of 10 runs aligning with the troughs.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Vox shutting down Ontheforecheck and several other SB sites. I stopped frequenting there years ago but still sucks for the writers and preds fans as we already have very little coverage

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Vox shutting down Ontheforecheck and several other SB sites. I stopped frequenting there years ago but still sucks for the writers and preds fans as we already have very little coverage

Vox keeps having rounds of layoffs ... 2% of their workforce last year, another 7% announced this week. While Preds fans might lose a little quantity of blog coverage I'm not sure we lose any quality.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well most of the teams ahead of us won last night as well. Interestingly, edmonton won and knocked LA out into the wildcard spots. So we are 6 points out with 2 games in hand. A five game win streak would give this team a good outlook. We got a pretth rough schedule though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well most of the teams ahead of us won last night as well. Interestingly, edmonton won and knocked LA out into the wildcard spots. So we are 6 points out with 2 games in hand. A five game win streak would give this team a good outlook. We got a pretth rough schedule though.
I think it's going to be a real deciding factor how they come back from the 11 days off. Whatever happens in the WPG and NJ games, they're still going to be in the race when it starts, but the longer break last year was a real turning point in the team going down the tubes. It doesn't seem like the team has a lot to gain on the injury front, we've been pretty healthy all year compared to most teams. Hopefully they find some magical way to emerge ready from that break.
:crossfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad