Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
They're "boycotting" until there's a change in regime.
I thought there were only basically 2 tank supporters, and they've been the same 2 guys who have supported tanking for many years? One was an Atlanta fan and one was a Tampa fan iirc, so not exactly attending games before or after any of this?
:dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I thought there were only basically 2 tank supporters, and they've been the same 2 guys who have supported tanking for many years? One was an Atlanta fan and one was a Tampa fan iirc, so not exactly attending games before or after any of this?
:dunno:

I want a 'Retool' and this year has been emotionally draining. I'm in a pitch of 'treat 2023-24 as an expansion' year then take advantage. selling sucks and you do not get your money's worth.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m a full sth and want us to not consistently finish in the 8th to 12th spot. The current on ice product is completely boring to me. We’ve sold more games this season than we have in the past 10-15 years.

Let me add that it’s possible this feeling isn’t about hockey. It seems like it’s a bigger pita to get to the arena from the boro than it used to be. I also find the in-arena environment to not be quite what I used to like and I can’t really put my finger on what’s driving that.

So in reality it’s most likely just a culmination of a lot of things that have led to some burnout and having an average to below average team isn’t helping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Softball99

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Why do people think the team is out of the "competitive rebuild" or whatever Poile said? That was the summer of 2021 so we're exactly 1.5 seasons into said rebuild. The current make up of the team is fairly young, 3 of 6 Dmen and 3 of 4 centers. Trenin and Jeanott are the only younger/ youngish wingers but even at his age Jeanott is still only in his sophomore season. Getting a couple of these wingers that came from the more recent drafts contributing on the team is when we'll start to see the end of the rebuild and truly be looking toward the future.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd like to know how many of the "Tank supporters" actually go to games. I'm not criticizing I'd just like to know.
I still go to games though have also sold many of my tickets this year because I don't see the point of frustrating myself every time Smith, Duchene or Johansen take another stupid penalty.

Full season ticket holder for the last decade.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Why do people think the team is out of the "competitive rebuild" or whatever Poile said? That was the summer of 2021 so we're exactly 1.5 seasons into said rebuild. The current make up of the team is fairly young, 3 of 6 Dmen and 3 of 4 centers. Trenin and Jeanott are the only younger/ youngish wingers but even at his age Jeanott is still only in his sophomore season. Getting a couple of these wingers that came from the more recent drafts contributing on the team is when we'll start to see the end of the rebuild and truly be looking toward the future.

Depends on the definition of competitive rebuild. Again if that just means being middle of the pack for years then it’s not really something I’m looking forward to.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Depends on the definition of competitive rebuild. Again if that just means being middle of the pack for years then it’s not really something I’m looking forward to.

Yeah, I am so tired of the endless first round loses and 11th-17th draft picks.

We have a Vezina caliber goalie in his prime and a Norris winning 90+ defenseman in his prime, we should not be this mediocre.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Was just looking at some numbers- last year right around this time we were actually 28-14-4 and were on a near 108 point season pace. (I almost can't remember us actually being that good for so long last year- lol)

But it was pretty much downhill from there and we all know how the season finished.

Since that 28-14-4 mark last season we are 37-33-9 in the last 79 games.

Basically an entire season of around 85 points or so- mediocre with a capital M

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
But I guess the question is, do you think Tanking is the way out, and would you go to games during those 3-5-10 years that the team is truly godawful? Not just middle of the pack, but absolute bottom of the pack? :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It's been 1.5 seasons since Poile said he was moving some players out and going to restructure the team. I would expect a few years of mediocrity before the prospects gained the experience to propel the team forward. We are currently seeing some of that take place, we're waiting for a few more forwards to come around and make an impact.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I envisioned the competitive rebuild as trying to enable the core big contract guys (Josi, Forsberg, Saros, Duchene, Johansen, Granlund, and Ekholm) to get back to being at least a dark horse contender type for the Cup. I thought we were on track for that last year integrating younger players into the lineup more heavily and even though we faded down the stretch I thought it would be a learning experience. Then we made some adds to fill in our big deficiencies this offseason (McDonagh as another stay at home D, Nino as a 2nd grade wing upgrade to Kunin, and Lankinen to improve the back up goaltending) while the rest of the West all looked to get worse on paper.

What has actually happened is we're doing worse and are on the outside looking in at the midpoint of the year. Maybe last year was just this roster overachieving with Forsberg, Duchene, and Josi all having career years and Jeannot and Trenin putting up much bigger goal totals than they have managed to this season, but either way we've to this point taken a step back versus last season. Where that fits into the competitive rebuild timeline as envisaged by Poile in the Summer of 2021 I'm not sure, but I while I feel better about our teams prospects in 4-5 years time Ifeel worse about the next 1-3 years too.

Reactions: predhead1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think the 1st half of last season gave us and Poile too much hope, and many thought we'd build off that.

And the end of the 2021 season. From the halfway point of the 2021 season to the All Star break last year we had the 7th best point percentage in the league at 0.682. Since the All Star break last year to now we're 22nd in point percentage at 0.525. For about a year there we looked like a team that while not a favorite was at least a dark horse to make a decent run in the playoffs. Now we're barely squeaking into the playoffs and I have no real hope we could beat any of the teams above us in a seven game series.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm more hopeful for the rebuild over the last month or so. Maybe my gold tinted glasses are bit too tight but it seems like the young pieces are coming along, some in the league a couple waiting on call ups and a few doing good with their junior teams. It's been 10 years since the pipeline looked anything like this and even then it was heavier on D, other than Forsberg. Now they have a pretty serious 20 y/o rookie center AND other promising forwards in Milwaukee.

Last edited:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I'm more hopeful for the rebuild over the last or so. Maybe my gold tinted glasses are bit too tight but it seems like the young pieces are coming along, some in the league a couple waiting on call ups and a few doing good with their junior teams. It's been 10 years since the pipeline looked anything like this and even then it was heavier on D, other than Forsberg. Now they have a pretty serious 20 y/o rookie center AND other promising forwards in Milwaukee.
I can see in the near future the top two line’s being centered by Glass and Parsinnen with Forsberg, Duchene and Tomasino playing top line wings. Novak being a solid bottom 6 Center. I’m very excited about the forward group over the next couple of years.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I can see in the near future the top two line’s being centered by Glass and Parsinnen with Forsberg, Duchene and Tomasino playing top line wings. Novak being a solid bottom 6 Center. I’m very excited about the forward group over the next couple of years.
Evangelista may very well be in the mix for top 6 wing. He's surprised me this year, didn't expect him to catch on so quick.

Reactions: triggrman

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Evangelista may very well be in the mix for top 6 wing. He's surprised me this year, didn't expect him to catch on so quick.
I could definitely seen him taking Nino’s spot after Nino’s contract ends. That wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think I’d be ok with Forsber, Duchene, Tomasino and Evangelista as the top six wings in the next couple of years.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Novak and Parssinen earned their call ups ahead of Tomasino ... Evangalista is right there in the mix for the next call when it's needed. Four young forwards with promise. Add Forsberg, Nino, Joey, and Duchene for next season (nobody is taking on those $8mil contracts for multiple seasons via trade) ... leaves the question of what to do with Granlund going forward ... and Jeannot.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
I'm more hopeful for the rebuild over the last or so. Maybe my gold tinted glasses are bit too tight but it seems like the young pieces are coming along, some in the league a couple waiting on call ups and a few doing good with their junior teams. It's been 10 years since the pipeline looked anything like this and even then it was heavier on D, other than Forsberg. Now they have a pretty serious 20 y/o rookie center AND other promising forwards in Milwaukee.
Agreed. Prospect pool is deep. And we’re getting actual production from later round picks. Definitely some good balance and payouts working in our favor in terms of drafting forwards so far. Hope it continues. And we don’t do anything stupid by trading them for more 28-30 year olds
Novak and Parssinen earned their call ups ahead of Tomasino ... Evangalista is right there in the mix for the next call when it's needed. Four young forwards with promise. Add Forsberg, Nino, Joey, and Duchene for next season (nobody is taking on those $8mil contracts for multiple seasons via trade) ... leaves the question of what to do with Granlund going forward ... and Jeannot.
if jeannots last season was just an outlier and he is really just a 20 point guy, im keeping trenin over him. But would suck if he went else where and turned back into a 20+ goal scorer.

Granlund shouldn’t be to hard to dump honestly. But we’ll see who ends up getting moved. It will have to be somebody.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
if jeannots last season was just an outlier and he is really just a 20 point guy, im keeping trenin over him. But would suck if he went else where and turned back into a 20+ goal scorer.

Granlund shouldn’t be to hard to dump honestly. But we’ll see who ends up getting moved. It will have to be somebody.

Jeannot is playing himself out of a big pay day this summer. One good week got him three goals ... beyond that he's been close but nothing. Granlund is getting his points in every situation but 5on5 where he's putting up Cole Smith type numbers (eerily similar goal and assist totals) and that makes Granny potentially expendable with the progression of Glass and Parssinen.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
On that Parssinen goal, Jeannot had a wide open net and whiffed it, it looked like. Parssinen got his stick in there a couple ticks later and just pushed it in.

Jeannot just can't get anything to go.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
On that Parssinen goal, Jeannot had a wide open net and whiffed it, it looked like. Parssinen got his stick in there a couple ticks later and just pushed it in.

Jeannot just can't get anything to go.
I’m just hoping that once he gets that next to go, the flood gates open for the kid.

Reactions: predhead1

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
But I guess the question is, do you think Tanking is the way out, and would you go to games during those 3-5-10 years that the team is truly godawful? Not just middle of the pack, but absolute bottom of the pack? :dunno:

It really depends on the number of years. Honestly doubt I can hang on for 3-5-10 more years of competitive rebuilding either if what we’re seeing on the ice is what that means.

I never said I was a tanking proponent though. But at least one good aspect of tanking in the early years is that you have that hope of a quick turn around when the young stud forwards show up. It might be a mirage but at least the carrot is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad