Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
3.54 goals per game over the last 13 games (exactly 4 weeks) ... scoring 3 or more in 10 of those games ... over 24% on the powerplay. Objectively, where is the problem when it comes to team offense lately?

The issue of late isn't who is on the lines as the team is getting the goals. The issue scoring three and still losing ... the continual odd man rushes allowed ... the penalties taken .. giving up backbreaking shorties. It's the typical subjective complaints that fill HF.
I would be cautious on reading alot into the offense outburst. Our last 13 games has several teams that are terrible defensively.

Opponent- GA/GP (league rank) - Goals scored in last game
Oilers 20th - 4G
Blackhawks 28th - 4G
Avs 11th - 2G
Dallas 7th - 2G
Ducks - 32nd - 6G
Vegas - 12th - 4G
Montreal - 27th - 6G
Carolina - 8th - 5G
Capitals - 9th - 3G
Ottawa - 19th - 3G
Toronto - 4th - 1G
Montreal - 27th - 3G
Buffalo - 24th - 3G

Averaging ~4.14 goals for against the bottom half of the league (in GA/GP). Averaging ~2.83 goals for against tbe top half of the league (in GA/GP).

The schedule and opponent may play a sizable part of the goals outburst.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
As fun as this topic is across three or four threads Iets look at something else here.

The Preds basically need to win 25 games over the remaining 40 (41 if you want to go back to the mid season point, which puts them at 0-1-0) to pretty much guarantee a spot in the post season. 25 wins and a few loser points gets them to the same level they finished last season but would be markedly different in the fact that their second half would be better than the first and that is what you'd hope for going into the postseason.
To some degree I'd feel let down if the best we do is WC2. This was billed as an improved roster. Poile went out and filled in the missing parts to make us a more complete team. Ending up in the same spot and maybe getting swept by the #1 team in the West is clearly not a step forward.

On the other hand, if we continue to integrate in and keep (rather than give up on or trade) some of the young talent, that seems like a positive step of some sort.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So it's not benching Tolvanen that kills you since you're fine with Seattle doing so ... it's just that Hynes did a thing that upsets you.
Or seattle had a reason while hynes benched tolvanen because the offensive juggernauts in our bottom 6 were just too much for tolvanen to overcome. It would be one thing for hynes to bench tolvanen should jeannot, trenin, smith, plugsmcghee were lighting the lamp. The team was starving for offense and we were benching the player that had the highest offensive potential of any of them

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I would be cautious on reading alot into the offense outburst. Our last 13 games has several teams that are terrible defensively.

Opponent- GA/GP (league rank) - Goals scored in last game
Oilers 20th - 4G
Blackhawks 28th - 4G
Avs 11th - 2G
Dallas 7th - 2G
Ducks - 32nd - 6G
Vegas - 12th - 4G
Montreal - 27th - 6G
Carolina - 8th - 5G
Capitals - 9th - 3G
Ottawa - 19th - 3G
Toronto - 4th - 1G
Montreal - 27th - 3G
Buffalo - 24th - 3G

Averaging ~4.14 goals for against the bottom half of the league (in GA/GP). Averaging ~2.83 goals for against tbe top half of the league (in GA/GP).

The schedule and opponent may play a sizable part of the goals outburst.
That's as close to a 50/50 split as you can get in 13 games. 7 below middle and 6 above....

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
As fun as this topic is across three or four threads Iets look at something else here.

The Preds basically need to win 25 games over the remaining 40 (41 if you want to go back to the mid season point, which puts them at 0-1-0) to pretty much guarantee a spot in the post season. 25 wins and a few loser points gets them to the same level they finished last season but would be markedly different in the fact that their second half would be better than the first and that is what you'd hope for going into the postseason.
That’s actually part of my problem with all this. We have to do much better in the 2nd half of the season to do better than the previous season, even after upgrading the roster

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
To some degree I'd feel let down if the best we do is WC2. This was billed as an improved roster. Poile went out and filled in the missing parts to make us a more complete team. Ending up in the same spot and maybe getting swept by the #1 team in the West is clearly not a step forward.

On the other hand, if we continue to integrate in and keep (rather than give up on or trade) some of the young talent, that seems like a positive step of some sort.
Agreed. It is the situation the team is in now. The Tolvanen controversy aside there are much more effective young players in the lineup now than last season. That is a positive for the future, especially if Tomasino finds his way back on the big club.

Reactions: cool beans

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
That's as close to a 50/50 split as you can get in 13 games. 7 below middle and 6 above....
Yeh but we are gonna have to do better against the good teams. We cant just feast on the chicagos and montreals and expect to make the playoffs. The 2.83 goals for against good teams is almost the same as the teams goals for per game for the entire season and would still be 27th in the league. We have clawed our way up from 31st in the league so thats good progress i guess. Im just not getting my hopes up that it is actually real.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I dont think mckeown was our worst problem last game. I saw bigger issues with our longer running 1st pairing
I only saw the last 7ish minutes of the game and they, mostly Josi, at that time didn't look good at all. So it not surprising to see Trig and you bring that up. Point is still valid that Carrier at 80% for 14 minutes is worlds better than McKeown's 10 minutes.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeh but we are gonna have to do better against the good teams. We cant just feast on the chicagos and montreals and expect to make the playoffs. The 2.83 goals for against good teams is almost the same as the teams goals for per game for the entire season and would still be 27th in the league. We have clawed our way up from 31st in the league so thats good progress i guess. Im just not getting my hopes up that it is actually real.
Is it real? Is it good enough? I don't know but isn't that why they play the games and we watch? That being said, I still think the young centers are a big reason for the increase and that is a tangible change not just some scoring anomaly out of nowhere. These guys have been developed at center and are now in the NHL doing the job.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Is it real? Is it good enough? I don't know but isn't that why they play the games and we watch? That being said, I still think the young centers are a big reason for the increase and that is a tangible change not just some scoring anomaly out of nowhere. These guys have been developed at center and are now in the NHL doing the job.
Hope you are right. The team has been more fun to watch recently.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

So basically avoid another horrible stretch like when they returned from Prague and find a way to eek out a few points rather than lose the game in the final 90 seconds.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
So basically avoid another horrible stretch like when they returned from Prague and find a way to eek out a few points rather than lose the game in the final 90 seconds.
Something like that, yes.

Weren't there two 6 game losing streaks this season? Or at least winless streaks.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Something like that, yes.

Weren't there two 6 game losing streaks this season? Or at least winless streaks.

Two five game losing streaks ... took one game to an OTL during the first, two games to OTLs during the second. The 3-6-1 start to the season ... going 1 for 26 on the PP ... are the type things the team needs to avoid. They can't afford to take 35% of possible points over a stretch.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I look at this team and I ask, "WHY DO YOU KEEP RIPPING MY BRAINS OUT!" I would say heart but this team is honestly showing it. When they lose it sucks, but they keep edging toward a WC. I look at the division and the rest of the west and making the playoffs is viable. This is a 92 pt but that...is close to WC. A lot of us are saying, "Just roll over and die!" They are saying , "NO, f*** you!" Logic says that a St. Louis chute pull is needed but this team is refusing it.

This team confuses me, year after year after f***ing year.

Reactions: cool beans

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
I look at this team and I ask, "WHY DO YOU KEEP RIPPING MY BRAINS OUT!" I would say heart but this team is honestly showing it. When they lose it sucks, but they keep edging toward a WC. I look at the division and the rest of the west and making the playoffs is viable. This is a 92 pt but that...is close to WC. A lot of us are saying, "Just roll over and die!" They are saying , "NO, f*** you!" Logic says that a St. Louis chute pull is needed but this team is refusing it.

This team confuses me, year after year after f***ing year.
This team needs a top 10 pick but they won’t roll over and die just yet. They’re gonna let St. Louis draft the next tage Thompson. But that’s ok. Maybe we win a round. Maybe we don’t make it at all. Lots of hockey left. Good and bad

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
5 points out of both WC1 and WC2 with 2 games in hand. Not quite close enough to catch up and not far enough back to call it done.

Next game is tonight against columbus who are 3-7-0 in their last 10 and lost their last game. Good opportunity to win and continue to gain ground. Then on to STL who essentially have the same record as us. Should be a good game but need to win it. After that we face, LA, WPG, NJD, VGK, before having a break against the flyers. Need as many points as possible to overtake a wildcard and probably half to not fall back.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One of the big hurdles for us making the playoffs is the Avs. Right now they are out of the playoffs completely- 4th in the central. But do we really think they are not going to finish top 3 in the division once they get healthy?? I would be shocked if they are not top 3 by year end.

It appears that Dallas and Winnipeg are close to a lock right now- so if it is them and the Avs top 3 in division then we will have to pass at least one of Minnesota/Edmonton/Calgary/STL

So 2 spots for 5 teams- Wild/Oilers/Flames/Blues/Preds

I think the Wild will definitely make it in- so it means we may have to finish ahead of Oilers/Flames and Blues.

I will be borderline shocked if we pull that off

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I still attend most games. I have made friends over the years that I enjoy seeing. The current on ice product has me feeling less guilty when I do miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad