Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It really depends on the number of years. Honestly doubt I can hang on for 3-5-10 more years of competitive rebuilding either if what we’re seeing on the ice is what that means.

I never said I was a tanking proponent though. But at least one good aspect of tanking in the early years is that you have that hope of a quick turn around when the young stud forwards show up. It might be a mirage but at least the carrot is there.
The constant fussing about the coach, Smith, and Tolvanen have really distracted people from the reality of the outlook for the team and the young developing core.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The constant fussing about the coach, Smith, and Tolvanen have really distracted people from the reality of the outlook for the team and the young developing core.

I think the young developing core looks fine but also believe you’re a bit more bullish on their top end potential than most. Also, who from that core is the next prolific scorer? Or is that the piece we try to add via free agency once these underperforming contracts are off the books?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think the young developing core looks fine but also believe you’re a bit more bullish on their top end potential than most. Also, who from that core is the next prolific scorer? Or is that the piece we try to add via free agency once these underperforming contracts are off the books?

Prolific scorers are truly rare. 20 goal scorers, especially consistent ones, are hard to find and keep.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Parssinen who, after not getting a point tonight, is tied with Forsberg for the longest point streak in franchise history might be pretty good.
Glass is doing the job of a top center right now. Will he be a prolific scorer? Probably not but he could be the guy that centers a prolific scorer.
Novak has fallen of a bit but is still very effective as the center for Trenin and Jeanott and still has the mind and hands to be on the PP.

Tomasino has the potential to be a very good scorer. If we were that high on him coming into the season we should probably be just as if not more happy with the way he's putting things together in the AHL.

Evangelista should definitely be making people's ear perk up. If I had to guess, that's a guy we can call a future prolific scorer.

It's easy to come on here and rack up 1000 posts railing on the coach and GM but there is one to talk about andore to see...if you try.

Reactions: Softball99

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Novak went from 1st line and contributing to offense to steady demotion and diminishing TOI. It's not clear Hynes is really sold on him. He's been up and down the past 2 years, while the coach leaned into Big Sexy.

Anybody heard anything about Fists McCarron getting back?

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Here's my guess re upside

Parsinnen- Probably 70-80 pts if Forsberg has another big year and he is paired with a decent RW that puts up 50-60 pts. I think he's more of a 20 goal/60 assist kind of guy

Tomasino- Probably 60-70 pt winger if he hits his potential

Evangelista- 45-60 pt Player

Glass- 40-60 Point #2 Center

Novak - 35-50 pt # 2/3 Center

L'Hereux- 35-55 pt winger

Kemmell- 50-60 pt winger with more goals than assists

Svechkov- 35-60 pt 2 way center.

I don't recall us having as solid of a prospect core in the past 15 years at least

All we need is to send Hynes to pasture

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Novak went from 1st line and contributing to offense to steady demotion and diminishing TOI. It's not clear Hynes is really sold on him. He's been up and down the past 2 years, while the coach leaned into Big Sexy.

Anybody heard anything about Fists McCarron getting back?
He did get almost 10 minutes tonight compared to 8 last night. Aren't most of his goals from the PP? He's still getting PP time just not having the same effect and some of that has to do with his lack of success at zone entries, at least tonight. His first ten games he was getting in the zone efficiently but seems to be struggling a little now, hopefully it's just a dip in production and he can turn it back around like Parssinen did after he fell off a bit.

Last edited:

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
He did get almost 10 minutes tonight compared to 8 last night. Aren't most of his goals from the PP? He's still getting PP time just not having the same effect and some of that has to do with his lack of success at zone entries, at least tonight. His first ten games he was getting in the zone efficiently but seems to be struggling a little now, hopefully it's just a dip in production and he can turn it back around like Parssinen did after he fell off a bit.
It probably has to do with him getting such few touches. Offensive players need ice time to contribute and get in the groove of a game. I think it’s just that he’s one of the lower ones on the totem pole. But honestly him and parsnip should be getting more minutes not less.

But hey, screw development or rewarding players producing. What do I know

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
2.42 Goals/game over the last 7 games.

4 - 3 goal games
2 - 2 goal games
1 - 1 goal game

Powerplay% over that time.... 4.8%. Which likely explains the terrible goals for. Penalty kill is 85.2% which is 7th in that period of time. Powerplay and goals for are bottom 31st and 25th respectively. Goals against is 2.14 which is 3rd.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The problem with our prospect pool is we have elite talent in goal, but outside of that, we really only have Tomasino who has looked like a sure fire thing.

I get the excitement, I do, but if Jeannot is an example of anything, it's too early to crown Parsnip the next big thing.

We have some guys developing and that's great, but so does every other team. And when you look at the wider picture, I'm not sure our prospect pool is in the top 10 in the league right now. Askarov may put us there, but I can name at least 8 teams with deeper, more talented pools.

The other issues is you have Hynes at the head of the ship and I frankly wouldn't trust him with caring for a spider plant at this point.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I wish I could be as positive about the prospect pool as a lot of you are. Just can’t help but look at the upside and think that it might be great for the Preds based on history but at the same time it just doesn’t stack up better than average around the league.

With that said, I’m certainly not a scout so rely on reading elsewhere to draw these conclusions. Just yesterday Pronman released his top under 23 prospects list. We certainly had a few on there but doesn’t really stand out as anything special against the league as a whole.

58 Tomasino
62 Askarov
99 Kemell
111 Parssinen

There were 154 total players not including some specific ones that graduated from the list or got demoted. We had no one on either of those lists either.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I wish I could be as positive about the prospect pool as a lot of you are. Just can’t help but look at the upside and think that it might be great for the Preds based on history but at the same time it just doesn’t stack up better than average around the league.

With that said, I’m certainly not a scout so rely on reading elsewhere to draw these conclusions. Just yesterday Pronman released his top under 23 prospects list. We certainly had a few on there but doesn’t really stand out as anything special against the league as a whole.

58 Tomasino
62 Askarov
99 Kemell
111 Parssinen

There were 154 total players not including some specific ones that graduated from the list or got demoted. We had no one on either of those lists either.

TBH Pronman seems about as informed as we are and flings alot of shit against the wall .

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
He was having zone entry success when he was the one coming into the zone with speed and pushing the defenders back deep. I haven’t seen him doing that the past few games. Not sure what’s changed but I haven’t seen him pushing into the offensive zone with speed recently on the PP.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Parssinen who, after not getting a point tonight, is tied with Forsberg for the longest point streak in franchise history might be pretty good.
Glass is doing the job of a top center right now. Will he be a prolific scorer? Probably not but he could be the guy that centers a prolific scorer.
Novak has fallen of a bit but is still very effective as the center for Trenin and Jeanott and still has the mind and hands to be on the PP.

Tomasino has the potential to be a very good scorer. If we were that high on him coming into the season we should probably be just as if not more happy with the way he's putting things together in the AHL.

Evangelista should definitely be making people's ear perk up. If I had to guess, that's a guy we can call a future prolific scorer.

It's easy to come on here and rack up 1000 posts railing on the coach and GM but there is one to talk about andore to see...if you try.
I share the views on Evangelista, he has gotten it done at every level so far, much like Tomasino.

Kemel is the guy I thought everyone was sold on being a prolific scorer. Didn't someone say he was our highest rated prospect since Radulov?

Poile has also always been able to supplement the forward groups with trades or free agents, so the person might not be in our system at all.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
He was having zone entry success when he was the one coming into the zone with speed and pushing the defenders back deep. I haven’t seen him doing that the past few games. Not sure what’s changed but I haven’t seen him pushing into the offensive zone with speed recently on the PP.
I'd have to go back and watch the PP specifically to be sure but I think they were shading over toward Novak for the drop pass so it wasn't going to him and if it was he didn't get the puck until the were in the Nzone rather than somewhere in the Dzone. That will probably be something that continues and he'll have to adjust to the level of competition and scouting that is done in the NHL.

Reactions: cool beans

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I get the excitement, I do, but if Jeannot is an example of anything, it's too early to crown Parsnip the next big thing.
Yeah, comparing Parssinen and Jeanott seems strange.

Jeanott, an overaged rookie last year, that made a splash by scoring goals using his size and speed to muscle his way to the net and score. His 24 goals but only 17 assists doesn't scream play maker to me. I still think Jeanott can get back to scoring goals, he seems to finally be finding his rhythm and at least getting chances that he wasn't earlier in the season.

Parssinen, on the other hand, just turned 21 on 2/1 and has 5 goals and 13 assists in his first 30 games in the NHL after only playing 10 games in the AHL, in his first season in North America, that's pretty impressive. Guys that can protect pucks and create goals for others the way he does are usually more consistent than players that are more goal scores.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Yeah, comparing Parssinen and Jeanott seems strange.

Jeanott, an overaged rookie last year, that made a splash by scoring goals using his size and speed to muscle his way to the net and score. His 24 goals but only 17 assists doesn't scream play maker to me. I still think Jeanott can get back to scoring goals, he seems to finally be finding his rhythm and at least getting chances that he wasn't earlier in the season.

Parssinen, on the other hand, just turned 21 on 2/1 and has 5 goals and 13 assists in his first 30 games in the NHL after only playing 10 games in the AHL, in his first season in North America, that's pretty impressive. Guys that can protect pucks and create goals for others the way he does are usually more consistent than players that are more goal scores.
If Hynes is going to handicap Parssinen with Smith and Sissons as his wings than that is a true waste of his potential. I've seen enough of Parssinen to be certain that he can actually be the next big thing for us if handled correctly.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If Hynes is going to handicap Parssinen with Smith and Sissons as his wings than that is a true waste of his potential. I've seen enough of Parssinen to be certain that he can actually be the next big thing for us if handled correctly.
I understand the overall worry about this but the game to game changing of responsibilities really isn't that big of a deal. If he's playing on a grinder type 4th line with lower minutes he's still learning to play at the NHL level, right? There are going to be ebbs and flows to his season and career.

Glass is now getting the top line assignment again after "being demoted" and is performing wonderfully. Johansen is back in a top 6 role after being lower in the lineup and playing well.

Glass, Parssinen, and Johansen can't all be in top 2 center positions at the same time. Then you add Novak to the mix and it's a luxury for the team to have the flexibility to move centers up and down the lineup as their play dictates.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I understand the overall worry about this but the game to game changing of responsibilities really isn't that big of a deal. If he's playing on a grinder type 4th line with lower minutes he's still learning to play at the NHL level, right? There are going to be ebbs and flows to his season and career.

Glass is now getting the top line assignment again after "being demoted" and is performing wonderfully. Johansen is back in a top 6 role after being lower in the lineup and playing well.

Glass, Parssinen, and Johansen can't all be in top 2 center positions at the same time. Then you add Novak to the mix and it's a luxury for the team to have the flexibility to move centers up and down the lineup as their play dictates.
Plus Sissons for middle 6 and Granlund as a center option ...

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Plus Sissons for middle 6 and Granlund as a center option ...
That's true but I don't care if they get slotted at wing. I don't want to see any of the three young centers playing wing and you know they aren't shifting Johansen to a wing so just leave those two out there.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
That's true but I don't care if they get slotted at wing. I don't want to see any of the three young centers playing wing and you know they aren't shifting Johansen to a wing so just leave those two out there.
Granlund is better at wing. Sissons is still counted on to fill a center's responsibilities repeatedly during games ... draws, defense.

Reactions: Kat Predator

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Granlund is better at wing. Sissons is still counted on to fill a center's responsibilities repeatedly during games ... draws, defense.
Sissons is a fluid situation as far as faceoffs goes when he's on the ice and he does slot in for Novak some right now. Obviously he is also a huge part of the PK but I don't see him taking the center responsibility in the Dzone to cover for anyone. Sure there are times that he's the first forward back and takes over that position during the rush sort out but he has been playing out high in the zone as a wing the vast majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad