Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’ve wanted Rikard Grönborg as the head coach for a while now and my opinion has not changed. Fortunately for me I’ve grown apathetic to the head coaching position for the Preds and they could extend Hynes for another five years and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Patrick Cote(LW, 2nd round draft pick) didn't score his first (and only) goal until career game 67 ... his 59th as a Pred. The filter and sort on NHL.com doesn't detail which game played a guy like P. Cote scored his one goal ... or a guy like Zeiler who scored in his third career game, then never again (87 games without a goal). It simply shows they have X or more games played and one career goal.
Sorry just saw this. After he scored his goal he was reported as asking Trotz if he could leave the bench to call his dad. He was definitely a goon. Problem was he had a hard time catching up to opposing skaters to fight.

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’ve wanted Rikard Grönborg as the head coach for a while now and my opinion has not changed. Fortunately for me I’ve grown apathetic to the head coaching position for the Preds and they could extend Hynes for another five years and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.
With our veteran European leadership core, we are probably not a bad place to consider looking at some of the top European coaches. It's all a fallacy that there would be issues anyway, I'm sure, but that doesn't seem to ever stop the old boys network from being old boys.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As a counterpoint at the start of the 2015 season you could have called Hynes the fresh face with potential and Trotz a retread coach who couldn't get his teams past the second round.

I think retread coaches can be fine and new coaches can be fine depending on the situation. Given that Karl Taylor is among the most deserving first time head coaches and has been in our system so I'm perfectly happy with him. Boudreau wouldn't be my top choice, but if the right retread coach were to come available (like Mike Sullivan for instance) I wouldn't be averse to that either.
If guys like Boudreau are what you are picking from you are just going to end with even more wasted years.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
With our veteran European leadership core, we are probably not a bad place to consider looking at some of the top European coaches. It's all a fallacy that there would be issues anyway, I'm sure, but that doesn't seem to ever stop the old boys network from being old boys.
I like everything I’ve read about his coaching philosophies. There have been some great articles about the systems he uses.

That’s also why I’m not fond of the idea as Trotz as the next GM. I’d prefer someone that’s young and has new ideas. There are plenty of younger guys that are involved with other organizations as assistant GM’s or player personnel that would be great GM’s

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I like everything I’ve read about his coaching philosophies. There have been some great articles about the systems he uses.

That’s also why I’m not fond of the idea as Trotz as the next GM. I’d prefer someone that’s young and has new ideas. There are plenty of younger guys that are involved with other organizations as assistant GM’s or player personnel that would be great GM’s
People keep talking about David Poile's son being groomed as the next GM but if there were to be someone promoted I'd bet that it's Nichol.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
People keep talking about David Poile's son being groomed as the next GM but if there were to be someone promoted I'd bet that it's Nichol.
One dares to hope that new ownership would be less likely to just rubberstamp any Poile nepotism that might otherwise have arisen anyway. :dunno:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If they promote any of the internal people to take over for Poile when he decides to retire, my level of apathy for the HC and GM for the Predators will remain unchanged and may become greater.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Nichol has done well managing Milwaukee so I wouldn’t object to him taking over. Plus, he understands this market.
I wouldn’t be satisfied with Nichols. He’s part of the current culture in the organization. The current culture is mediocre. I’ve given lists of potential GM’s before on these boards and some had Nichols on them but if the the new majority owner decides to go in a different direction when he takes over from the current majority owner, I think it would be best to go in a completely different direction.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I wouldn’t be satisfied with Nichols. He’s part of the current culture in the organization. The current culture is mediocre. I’ve given lists of potential GM’s before on these boards and some had Nichols on them but if the the new majority owner decides to go in a different direction when he takes over from the current majority owner, I think it would be best to go in a completely different direction.
No offense but you have no clue. Unless you’re around these guys, how could you from the outside looking in. I had totally different ideas than the guy I worked u Dee for years, and when he left and I was promoted we went with my vision

Reactions: Predsanddead24

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
No offense but you have no clue. Unless you’re around these guys, how could you from the outside looking in. I had totally different ideas than the guy I worked u Dee for years, and when he left and I was promoted we went with my vision
No offense taken. You are correct I do not know him or any other assistant GM on their staff personally. When a company gets bought out, typically the old regime of management gets replaced and the new regime of management aligns with the new owner’s visions and philosophies. I view this no different. If the new owner wants a change in direction, I’d expect them all to be gone, if he doesn’t want a new direction then sure, stick with what’s there.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Interesting podcast. Robby Stanley joined for the first part and then the hosts give their perspectives on the Predators organization.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
As we decline, there is more apathy than rage. Activity on this board seems way down. GDT's struggle to get attention. Ticket demand has plummeted (u can get great seat for $25 tonight). Game experience in the arena lacks the creativity of past years (bury Glorious for gosh sakes). Even Gnash is bubble-wrapped (no repelling from the rafters or sliding down the rails of the lower bowl or climbing the ladder to uncomfortable heights.)

The team we experienced the 2017 SC run has aged, changed, and steadily transcended into mediocrity. The promising future stars have either faded (Fabbro), been let go (Tolvy), or traded in bad deals (Fiala, Girard, Jones, etc.) Like an aging QB, every once in a while, he zips in a great pass and you're convinced he's back, only to watch him get sacked and throw picks. THE GM, our only GM, the pride of our franchise in historical hockey terms, is now a liability. He's locked in an underperforming core and not drafted / developed the next generation.

As the Preds wallow in 8th-and-final-playoff-spot-ville-maybe, Nashville as a city is booming. Every once in a while, a Saturday night sellout brings out the best in the boys and we see what it could be if we had the team to meet the moment.

But we don't.

Doesn't mean we can't make a run for 8th. I'm all for it and will enjoy it as if we were a serious contender. It's just plain not as exciting anymore. We've matured as a hockey town and just-having-a-team isn't enough anymore. Expansion teams have passed us like we're standing still. Vegas and now The Kracken, are far better than us. We used to take pride in our swift journey to playoff-contender. Yes, I know, when we came in, the expansion draft was a joke (Go Krivo). But geez, we've become the Sharks (make the playoffs but never get very far.) 8 straight years in the playoffs is a source of pride. I'm thankful. But it's gotta come with some hope of progression.

To the Tank-and-rebuild-crowd, my sports fandom history tells me it's the only way to MNGA (Make Nashville Great Again). Yet, the multiple year suckage may be too heavy a lift for a fanbase that's "tired".

So here we sit. 5 pts behind the 8th spot with 2 games in hand. Can we do it? (cue Michael Keaton speech). Of course, we can. Can we contend for a division slot? Right now, no we can't. That's a recent new-lo. We used to flirt with it and had it for several years. Arguably, our best year was the 2018 President's Cup team, not the 2017 Cup run team. In 2017, we were an 8th-slot-team that got hot in the playoffs. In 2018, we were dominate until the Jets won Game 7.

Wish I had answers but I don't. Don't like any of our options so I'm gonna go with continue the Competitive Rebuild, sneak into the playoffs, and hope Juuse plays out-his-ass.

In return for my "settling", please stop playing Glorious.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
The new guy in the Gnash suit probably can't do all of that stuff you mentioned. Or the insurance company stepped in?

Glorious should have stayed in 2017. Now, it's painful.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Glorious is so cringe

Need to craft In Game Experience to be a reflection of the culture and diversity of Nashville, Tennessee and the South.

Play Rocky Top every game, Play some Allman Bros and Widespread Panic, Some Memphis Trap music, Country Classics from the previous decade and of yesteryear. Make it reflective of Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi (Pred-Nation).

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Interesting podcast. Robby Stanley joined for the first part and then the hosts give their perspectives on the Predators organization.

It's frustrating that a lead media guy that is doing international interviews about this team says the "competitive rebuild" has been going on for over 3 years and they thought they'd be out of it this year. That happened the summer of 21 after the short covid season and before the expansion draft. This is what twitter group think does to people.

Reactions: triggrman

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's frustrating that a lead media guy that is doing international interviews about this team says the "competitive rebuild" has been going on for over 3 years and they thought they'd be out of it this year. That happened the summer of 21 after the short covid season and before the expansion draft. This is what twitter group think does to people.
The 1 season "competitive rebuild" that felt like 3 seasons? 19-20 was the in-season reset with the firing of Lavi and hiring of Hynes. 20-21 was a housecleaning, but they went with a bunch of free agents, not an explicit youth movement. 21-22 (last season) they got more interested in bringing up their prospects after the expansion. 22-23 (ongoing season) they went back to picking up some free agents and the prospect pool shifted significantly.

It's sort of delusional to call that 3 seasons of anything. Well maybe 3 seasons of throwing darts at the wall.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well wild fell out of the top 3 in conference. 3 points behind colorado but they have 1 game in hand. 3 points behind Calgary and we have 1 game in hand. So not much of a change in the grand scheme of things. Still just outside the playoff picture. Wild are in a tailspin with 3 losses in a row but Calgary has course corrected with 2 wins in a row.

We are going to go into an 11 day break with basically no real idea where this team is going. On the plus side, that win against the jets felt good. We werent hanging on for deae life and actually outshot the jets. Jeannot scored as well.

Reactions: weeze

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
On the plus side, that win against the jets felt good. We werent hanging on for deae life and actually outshot the jets. Jeannot scored as well.
Despite only getting 2 goals, I thought it was one of our better offensive games- tons of shots and chances and our expected goals for the game was over 5. We have not had many of those types of games this entire season.

Need to cash in on some of those chances, but still encouraging.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It's going to be a stressful 34 games after the all star break The team sits in contention but just outside of a WC spot today with multiple head to head matchups against the teams they are battling for position. Time to see how the team, and the fanbase, react to the challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad