Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Carrier out 4-6 weeks. Apparently the mugging he took Tuesday was pretty serious. I give him props for standing up for Glass but it was not a great decision to take on a heavyweight like Stanley.
His leg was stretched out in a weird position when he got pushed down to the ice. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a knee or hip.

Any word on the call up?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Carrier out 4-6 weeks. Apparently the mugging he took Tuesday was pretty serious. I give him props for standing up for Glass but it was not a great decision to take on a heavyweight like Stanley.

That really blows. Kudos for doing it, but I guess that's how courage gets rewarded sometimes.

His leg was stretched out in a weird position when he got pushed down to the ice. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a knee or hip.

Any word on the call up?
They are calling it upper body. Maybe a hand or shoulder?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Damn that sucks and really totally unnecessary. I hate fighting after clean hits and especially when all they accomplish is letting they guy who laid the big hit kick someone else’s ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Preds Partisan

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also havent had time to listen to this whole thing yet, but the headline quote sure makes it sound like Boro won't be back any time soon if ever.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I didn't get to watch the LA game over the weekend so I watched earlier this week and something jumped out at me during play as the potential start of something bad happening and sure enough, that situation culminated in LA's second goal. I took a series of pictures to demonstrate how this play broke down and just now getting around to posting it.

The play starts with an offensive zone faceoff that the Preds didn't win clean but kept in the zone, after several seconds Johansen tries to send the puck low but Doughty picks it up on the boards

20230125_185106.jpg

This picture shows good forechecking that takes away passing options
20230125_185147.jpg

Still good positioning and Nino is also in a position to now apply pressure to the puck.
20230125_185222.jpg

Johansen with good position, Nino has made them reverse to behind the net and you can see Granlund accelerating to cut off the path out the other side of the net. Still all good.
20230125_185320.jpg
20230125_185345.jpg
20230125_185415.jpg

This is where the first mistake takes place. As the puck is trapped behind the net with Nino waiting in front, Granlund floats away from the puck to play a passing lane rather than an aggressive forecheck at this point he should back into the 1-3-1 or at least a 1-2-2 but as you'll see he stands in the middle of nowhere doing nothing. We also see Johansen following his man into the zone to take away time and space.
20230125_185438.jpg

You can see here that Johansen's guy came into the zone as a decoy that allows Kopitar to skate out of the corner unnoticed. This has to be Granlund's man but he's floated so far outside instead of staying toward the middle of the ice he's already out of the play.
20230125_185458.jpg

Kopitar has not only beat Granlund to the center of the ice but he is already "goal side" of him. Granlund is 100% out of this play now and Doughty hasn't even passed the puck. Johansen is still in good position, goalside and to the inside of his mark. If Granlund was standing in relatively the same position as Johansen but in the other circle the goal never happens.
20230125_185515.jpg
20230125_185543.jpg
20230125_185624.jpg

The pass is made and you see the aftermath. This is when you can identify the next mistake. Johansen is in good position, Nino trailing the play as well he should, and Granlund still being useless.

The fourth Pred, one of my favorites, is completely screwing the pooch here. He should either be turned and skating backwards or taking a good angling path to prevent any cut back and force him into a trap at the blueline where Carrier and his mark are in the way, like this
Screenshot_20230126-132123_Gallery.jpg

He does neither, instead he skate to a spot on a straight intercept path and allows the cut back.
20230125_185656.jpg

To make matters worse he is a lefty on the right side of the ice and has no reach with his stick.
Johansen and Carrier still in good position.
20230125_185730.jpg

Now that Ekholm has lost his guy Carrier moves away from his mark and Johansen starts puck watching.
20230125_185744.jpg

Carrier and Ekholm should have switched players since Carrier still has defensive position, it's on him to assert himself and call for the switch, right now neither are doing much except forcing Johansen to think about playing the puck.

Johansen was about to turn backwards to defend his man like he should but starts to do too much and adjusts to go to the puck because of the defensive indecision.
20230125_185807.jpg

Though Johansen's body is in "good position" he's not ready to play defense and is facing the wrong way because of his hesitation. Had he gotten turned around he'd see the puck and his mark at the same time and have a chance to slow him down, or just knock him on his ass as that puck arrives.
20230125_185837.jpg

Johansen is now beat positionally and hoping to grab the puck. Ekholm finally caught up to Kopitar. Carrier has no idea where his mark is.
20230125_185859.jpg

Johansen trying to take a penalty...
20230125_190017.jpg

Goal is scored but if it wasn't and that puck goes to the player that used to be Carrier's mark, he scores. Again Granlund is out of position and just watching.

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Boro needs to go on LTIR

There is Boro the man, we all love.

Then there is Boro's contract. Preds can't use it till they are over the cap BUT they can trade it to another team who WANT to LTIR.

At the deadline contracts for this year will be paid 75% off. Boro is getting paid BUT his cap is not moving at the point of injury. Boro has $374,595 of cap left for this year. With the way teams are scraping the cap ceiling, that could be useful. OR, the Preds could go over the cap and use it themselves.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There is Boro the man, we all love.

Then there is Boro's contract. Preds can't use it till they are over the cap BUT they can trade it to another team who WANT to LTIR.

At the deadline contracts for this year will be paid 75% off. Boro is getting paid BUT his cap is not moving at the point of injury. Boro has $374,595 of cap left for this year. With the way teams are scraping the cap ceiling, that could be useful. OR, the Preds could go over the cap and use it themselves.
I still need someone to tell me how taking on an LTIR contract helps a team that is at the cap ceiling. It is a net zero proposition for them as far as the cap is concerned. The only way LTIR contracts are useful as I see it is for teams that need the salary to get to the cap floor.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I still need someone to tell me how taking on an LTIR contract helps a team that is at the cap ceiling. It is a net zero proposition for them as far as the cap is concerned. The only way LTIR contracts are useful as I see it is for teams that need the salary to get to the cap floor.

I might be wrong, would not be the first. LOL!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I didn't get to watch the LA game over the weekend so I watched earlier this week and something jumped out at me during play as the potential start of something bad happening and sure enough, that situation culminated in LA's second goal. I took a series of pictures to demonstrate how this play broke down and just now getting around to posting it.

The play starts with an offensive zone faceoff that the Preds didn't win clean but kept in the zone, after several seconds Johansen tries to send the puck low but Doughty picks it up on the boards

View attachment 641974
This picture shows good forechecking that takes away passing options
View attachment 641977
Still good positioning and Nino is also in a position to now apply pressure to the puck.
View attachment 641978
Johansen with good position, Nino has made them reverse to behind the net and you can see Granlund accelerating to cut off the path out the other side of the net. Still all good.
View attachment 641980View attachment 641981View attachment 641982
This is where the first mistake takes place. As the puck is trapped behind the net with Nino waiting in front, Granlund floats away from the puck to play a passing lane rather than an aggressive forecheck at this point he should back into the 1-3-1 or at least a 1-2-2 but as you'll see he stands in the middle of nowhere doing nothing. We also see Johansen following his man into the zone to take away time and space. View attachment 641987
You can see here that Johansen's guy came into the zone as a decoy that allows Kopitar to skate out of the corner unnoticed. This has to be Granlund's man but he's floated so far outside instead of staying toward the middle of the ice he's already out of the play.View attachment 641991
Kopitar has not only beat Granlund to the center of the ice but he is already "goal side" of him. Granlund is 100% out of this play now and Doughty hasn't even passed the puck. Johansen is still in good position, goalside and to the inside of his mark. If Granlund was standing in relatively the same position as Johansen but in the other circle the goal never happens.View attachment 641994View attachment 641995View attachment 641996
The pass is made and you see the aftermath. This is when you can identify the next mistake. Johansen is in good position, Nino trailing the play as well he should, and Granlund still being useless.

The fourth Pred, one of my favorites, is completely screwing the pooch here. He should either be turned and skating backwards or taking a good angling path to prevent any cut back and force him into a trap at the blueline where Carrier and his mark are in the way, like thisView attachment 641998
He does neither, instead he skate to a spot on a straight intercept path and allows the cut back.View attachment 641999
To make matters worse he is a lefty on the right side of the ice and has no reach with his stick.
Johansen and Carrier still in good position.
View attachment 642000
Now that Ekholm has lost his guy Carrier moves away from his mark and Johansen starts puck watching. View attachment 642002
Carrier and Ekholm should have switched players since Carrier still has defensive position, it's on him to assert himself and call for the switch, right now neither are doing much except forcing Johansen to think about playing the puck.

Johansen was about to turn backwards to defend his man like he should but starts to do too much and adjusts to go to the puck because of the defensive indecision. View attachment 642004
Though Johansen's body is in "good position" he's not ready to play defense and is facing the wrong way because of his hesitation. Had he gotten turned around he'd see the puck and his mark at the same time and have a chance to slow him down, or just knock him on his ass as that puck arrives. View attachment 642005
Johansen is now beat positionally and hoping to grab the puck. Ekholm finally caught up to Kopitar. Carrier has no idea where his mark is.
View attachment 642006
Johansen trying to take a penalty...
View attachment 642007
Goal is scored but if it wasn't and that puck goes to the player that used to be Carrier's mark, he scores. Again Granlund is out of position and just watching.
Awesome breakdown

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think the young centers have changed our team. Also, that St Louis game and the meeting after
They have for sure.

That game and the meeting seem to be the kick in the ass the "core" needed to get their shit together. Is that their trigger? Get diminished icetime have meeting(s) start playing good hockey, it worked summer of 21 and now so who knows.

Reactions: triggrman

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Pretty productive night:

Preds win

Jets, Avs, Flames, Blues all lose in regulation (3 of the losses to Hawks/Coyotes/Ducks- yikes)

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'd like to see how they play after the long break before I think this team has turned any corner. A good 7-8 game run could be nothing more than that, a good 7-8 game run.
Agreed, it's still an uphill battle, and to me it's disappointing it even has to be such a battle because they could have been in a much better position than this without the poor coaching. Odds are still around 40% and while their remaining schedule strength is about on par with Minnesota, all the other Pacific teams and the Avs have easier schedules. And that will probably only become further accentuated with the Trade Deadline, as the tanking teams get even weaker and the playoff teams make themselves even stronger.

Going something like 20-13-1 the rest of the way shouldn't be impossible and might get us in.

But the team is going to have to bank a lot of points in the first half of that return after the break, because the last 16 or so games is a REALLY tough schedule.

I'm sure many posters will continue to get giddy if they do get some points on the weaker first half of that stretch run schedule, but it won't get us out of the woods even so.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Since that addition of Novak the team is 12-5-2. That's a pretty good stretch, 110ish point pace over a season but more importantly continuing that pace for the rest of the season puts them squarely in the playoffs.

You can't just throw away the poor beginning of the season but we can look at what tangible changes have been made that are yielding the results. As Trig pointed out earlier the young centers have changed this team, fussing about who gets what assignment and pared with whom aside, they are all producing points and helping this team win.

When Novak first came up, and it became the three musketeers, that's when the demotions for "the core" started. The wins may not have always be pretty and some of the loses were demoralizing but the overall record is a real thing.

The team we're seeing now doesn't happen without the demotions. These players just don't seem to get it until you take their icetime and special PP1 status away for a while. Whether these knuckleheads will sustain this type of play remains to be seen but you would think the positive feedback they're getting from the last three games would be a motivating factor. They've got to enjoy this much more than October and November.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hanging on hard to the wildcard race. Luckily several teams infront of us loss in regulation last night.

Coming out of the break will be important. The string of games is a nice mix of division playoff teams, bottom feeders, and wildcard rivals.

Filbruary Games
G. Knights - Division
Flyers - Bottom 3rd
Coyotes - Bottom Feeder
Bruins - League Leader
Panthers - wild card
Wild - wildcard
Canucks - Bottom Feeder
Sharks - Bottom Feeder
Coyotes - Bottom Feeder
Penguins - wildcard

Good time to go on a run and i see no reason by Forsberg can celebrate Filbruaury in style

Reactions: weeze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad