Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
ya slipped my mind

Stecher then Goldy
Holy f*** I feel like a grandpa now, I would have answered so differently back in the good old days.

What the hell is wrong with me

Reactions: Bgav

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Flames owning us lol.

Valimaki scored today and has 2 goals 2 assists in 5 games.

Dube got a point today and has like 6 points in 4 games.

Tkachuk just scored 3 points on us last game.

Meanwhile , Juolevi bout to get sent down and Lind is already sent down.

Reactions: timw33

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Flames owning us lol.

Valimaki scored today and has 2 goals 2 assists in 5 games.

Dube got a point today and has like 6 points in 4 games.

Tkachuk just scored 3 points on us last game.

Meanwhile , Juolevi bout to get sent down and Lind is already sent down.
when sam bennett flames out but you still outmaneuver vancouver

Reactions: timw33

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
which was the worse pick.
Virtanen @ 6
or
Juolevi @ 5
Juolevi is still a better pick than Virtanen, IMO.

While the outcome that we're currently seeing is debate-able, that shouldn't be what we're judging this on-- it was a more sensible decision at the time, and that's the only thing that I can hold the decision to. Tkachuk was better, and many of the other guys around him were also arguably better, but it would have been foolish not to consider Juolevi still a pretty solid and promising prospect at the time who was at least in the ballpark of the other guys not named Tkachuk. The fact that he continues to show no interest in correcting a perfectly correctable flaw is not something that we could have predicted to this extent, IMO. And the one positive take-away from this is that if he does decide to just flip a switch on and start busting his ass off and approaching the game the right way, he still has the tools to immediately reverse his fortunes (not that I'm optimistic that he will).

Virtanen on the other hand was fool's gold right from the start-- He arguably already is busting his ass off and has his head on straight now after a few hiccups, and you can probably argue that what he's doing now is actually a pretty positive outcome relative to what we should have expected given his skillset/capabilities. He was an extremely limited player with awful fundamentals and hockey IQ at the draft, and was unreasonably/foolishly elevated by our management group based on this unlikely pipe dream of him becoming a dominant power-forward. He had no business being drafted that high, whereas Juolevi did.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Well that all just happened.

Like Stecher,, Gaudette and Horvat. The rest were either forgettable or probably wanting to be forgettable right now.

Goldobin and Juolevi should be getting rides to the airport soon.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Unlike the kings broadcasters I’m not going to say this is as expected based on the lineups dressed. I mean I guess so because the team sucks but that isn’t what they meant. They meant the Canucks have a lot oh non-nhlers in the lineup. And I guess that is also true but every single guy dressed were expected to make a legitimate push to be on the opening day roster. This wasn’t a roster of AHL players. This was a roster full of guys management believed could be in the nhl.

This is at worst that great depth Benning loves. Amazing how quick things evaporate when guys fail to impress and others show they are still very raw.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Kings basically iced their regular season roster and it went pretty much exactly how you'd expect.

Goldobin looked good at times in the neutral zone but was pretty much a non-factor otherwise. Overall, he hasn't been bad in this preseason but I was hoping he'd step up a bit more, off to Utica again I guess.

More of the same from Juolevi and Virtanen. Juolevi on the 3rd Kings goal basically encapsulated the main flaw of his game, just a complete lack of commitment defensively and poor skating. As for Virtanen, we know what's there, don't think we're seeing that dream 20+ goal season that so many are seeming to hope for.

Motte continues to impress. Obviously his upside isn't much more than a 4th line grinder but at this point it would be hard to justify having him on the team over Granlund.

Schaller is completely useless. Is he even better than Archibald?

Gaudette looks decent in stretches but probably needs some time in the A to refine his game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
canucks have had glimmers of shape as a team here now and then, but basically it's a continuing random yard sale.

there sure are a lot of canuck players lacking a steady or physical game and it really shows against a line up like the kings where everybody has that.

juolevi showed some good stuff except i don't care because his physical passivity is just incredible. he knows what is expected of him by now. there is no way he can think he can get away with that stuff. unless he is playing soft on medical grounds (in which case why is he playing at all?) i do not grok the situation.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kings basically iced their regular season roster and it went pretty much exactly how you'd expect.

Goldobin looked good at times in the neutral zone but was pretty much a non-factor otherwise. Overall, he hasn't been bad in this preseason but I was hoping he'd step up a bit more, off to Utica again I guess.

More of the same from Juolevi and Virtanen. Juolevi on the 3rd Kings goal basically encapsulated the main flaw of his game, just a complete lack of commitment defensively and poor skating. As for Virtanen, we know what's there, don't think we're seeing that dream 20+ goal season that so many are seeming to hope for.

Motte continues to impress. Obviously his upside isn't much more than a 4th line grinder but at this point it would be hard to justify having him on the team over Granlund.

Schaller is completely useless. Is he even better than Archibald?

Gaudette looks decent in stretches but probably needs some time in the A to refine his game.

Thats basically our real roster too. All we are missing is Pettersson and Tanev and we know Tanev will miss like 30 games so he wont make a difference.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Usually bad teams do pretty well in the pre season. Young blood, open jobs, the team has something to proof. The good teams are not really playing but this Canuck team doesn’t show anything.

No hits, fights, blocking shots, no energy.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Having that many prospects in the AHL sounds hilarious cause everyone is battling each other for jobs. One prospect probably would be pissed if another prospect scores and they were on the ice and didnt get an assist lol. Basically playing with your roadblocks to get into the NHL. I mean I hope that fuels all of them though...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Thats basically our real roster too. All we are missing is Pettersson and Tanev and we know Tanev will miss like 30 games so he wont make a difference.

Exactly. The Canucks were the regulars and the guys who will form the best depth since Benning has been GM (according to Benning). Unless people think that Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel are truly a measureable difference over the rest of the slop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad