Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Exactly. The Canucks were the regulars and the guys who will form the best depth since Benning has been GM (according to Benning). Unless people think that Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel are truly a measureable difference over the rest of the slop.
We pretty much expect the same result after seeing nothing had been done on the defense through summer

Reactions: geebaan

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is like watching a Father/Son hockey game. The Fathers don't want to beat the kids into dust but at the same time, they'll flash and score at will. To show the kids who's boss but keep it competitive.

The Canucks aren't a NHL team at this point.

It reminds me of how they tooled us in 2012.

Seven years later they are like, lol how are you guys still so easy to beat.

Reactions: Pavel96

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
I love our new defence acquisitions. Our defence needed a shake up. I’m glad our management addressed the issue.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
How much does Juolevi remind you of Cody Hodgson? :eek:

I feel like it gets forgotten that Hodgson was pretty well liked by Canucks faithful until after his trade. He was on a 20-goal, 40-plus point pace as a rookie at the time he was dealt for Kassian, a move that caught pretty much all Canuck fans off guard. Sure, it turned out he was playing heavily sheltered minutes with cushy zone starts, but he was definitely showing some offensive ability and making the most of it. And that came after a terrific WJC showing, too.

Juolevi’s post-draft trajectory has been quite different.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Juolevi's performance was actually unacceptable. You make it to the last round of cuts and play like this, when you are drafted 5th overall and is expected to carry a load for this franchise going forward. Should be sent down now.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I feel bad for Green. Theres literally nothing he can do. You just jumble a bunch of lines and hope it works out.

After Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser and Baertschi

ALL of the rest of the roster, you can literally pick a name out of a hat and put it in a position and it would be the same

Reactions: JuniorNelson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was awful in pretty much every way. Bad venue, bad ice, bad hockey, bad Canucks.

Comparative compete level between their veterans and ours tonight was embarrassing. Watching 10 year vets like Phaneuf and Muzzin taking extra shots at guys and Kopitar busting his ass back on the backcheck to turn the puck over and create a goal versus ... what exactly did a guy like Horvat do tonight?

- Stecher is the only guy who can really hold his head high after this one. Skates miles, made things happen, competed on every play all game at both ends of the rink. Good for him.

- Gudbranson is a slow pile of useless sucky crap. Should be going to Utica in a fair world. Badly outplayed by Biega, as usual.

- Juolevi makes some nice outlet passes but that 3-1 goal highlights everything I've been trying to tell people is wrong with this player for the past few years. No compete level. Does not engage. Stands by and watches as players easily skate by him to get to the net and score. It is a major, major problem and if this player can't find some heart and testicles he will be a bust.

- why they keep Edler on the top PP continues to be a mystery. Just abysmal in both of the last two games passing the puck.

- Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser basically mailed this one in save for a bit of life from Boeser in the 3rd period. Very poor.

- Schaller and Granlund look like the sort of guys who get 1 exhibition game on a PTO and then get cut. Neither contributed a single positive thing tonight. Archibald wasn't a world-beater, but at least he finished his checks, got a couple decent shots on net, and competed defensively. But he'll be cut while they make the team.

- Goldobin sucked tonight ... but was still like our 3rd or 4th best forward. I actually liked his game against Calgary but not so much tonight.

- Virtanen seems to be reverting to bad habits. I could care less about him doing a big circle of the zone with the puck - at least it's a decent zone entry. What's actually concerning is the amount of gliding around, looking unengaged away from the puck and not moving his feet. He made huge strides last year and this is the key to him being a successful NHL player. A step backward would be disappointing.

- Motte continues to work hard and be effective. Will make the team, and then we'll see how long he can keep it up for. He's done this same thing to make the team out of camp in Chicago and Columbus and then faded badly after 20 games or so.

- Gagner still sucks but was less bad than usual.

- Gaudette ... was ok-ish. It's so weird because that's not a performance that should make the team ... until you consider it was better than most of the established players. Would like to see him get another game.

- thought Markstrom wasn't bad at all and criticism of him was unfair. We were outplayed horrendously and he made a lot of quality saves, and maybe 1 goal was a bit weak but nothing awful.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
When a team is so truly terrible all the way through the lineup like we are you have to wonder about the coaching...

I’m not a fan of green. Last season sutter and Dorset led the team on ice time for the first quarter of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad