Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m not a fan of green. Last season sutter and Dorset led the team on ice time for the first quarter of the season.
Dorsett was awesome last year before he got hurt, He showed more effort last year and right now currently when his career is over drinking some whiskey at home than most players this preseason.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Dorsett was awesome last year before he got hurt, He showed more effort last year and right now currently when his career is over drinking some whiskey at home than most players this preseason.
Completely agree. But you win with your top 6 forwards. The sedins shouldn’t have played 12 ish minutes per game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Was expecting at least one of our prospects to really step in there this season and nab a regular season spot. Really really disappointing thus far.

Goldobin is turning 23 soon and has shown little to no consistency. What you see is what you get from this player. A weak perimeter player that require lots of room to operate. My gut senses he will ride out the AHL season and move to the KHL in a year or two.

Virtanen is 22 and showing nothing. He has speed but he’s lost his shot and ability to force himself to the net. He gains the offensive zone, stays on the perimeter and either gets rubbed off the puck or throws an errant pass into the middle. It’s not a confidence issue, more so the fact that his game lacks any logic. You would hope he rides an insane shooting percentage and gets hot so you can get a decent draft pick for him.

Juolevi is showing the same flaws we have come to see the past few seasons. No commitment to defense and lacks any ability to play the body. You get the impression he’s super lazy and his heart isn’t into playing hockey sometimes –but I doubt this is the case…just very perplexing here. Perhaps comes down to a lack of smarts.

Gaudette did nothing to warrant a spot on the roster. Looks laboured out there and unable to get anything going on offense. Downside has always been skating which may hold him back from shifting into a top 6 role. Hoping you see something promising in the AHL.

Others:
So much garbage that will be on the opening day roster. Erickson, Granlund, Leipisic, Del Zotto, Gagner, Gurdbranson, Pouliot, Schaller. Unbelievable. You have 6-8 players that should be in the AHL/Europe but are somehow on an NHL team.

The worry here is the Canucks see a dreadful season and prospects lose their moral and develop bad habits. This is the extreme downside of tanking (see Edmonton 2008-2015).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Men against boys... or... NHLers against Wantabees in too many cases. Canuck got some players at their level but you do wonder just how many Canucks could make the LA roster - or any NHL roster. What we are seeing is the results of Aquilini's/Benning rebuild on the run. And the misery will no doubt continue given our ownership and our management. Could see a complete bail out move by the team where they give up any future to put on another useless bandaid. Idea that we had all these great prospects on the cusp on being solid NHL players was always dough-headed.

Positives

Stecher - was generally good and provided some offensive punch. Positioning in his end was individually fine but he wasn't always able to cover up for breakdowns elsewhere

Joulevi - best so far. Not saying it was that good but he did (especially in the early going) look in the play and was gaining space to make plays. Also passing was better. Could have some hope off this game that he might down the line be OK. That said, he is not ready. Too much stick checking (second goal) and not taking people hard to the net (third goal) but mostly kept man on the outside. Still wonder if he has enough quickness in transition to play at this level.

Gagner - will never be much good but at least showed that he doesn't have to be abysmal. Got shoved around per usual but created some offense. Gagner is a very thin reed to rest any hope on but he was ok tonight

Motte - continues to make his case to make the team. His speed continues to help the team - especially on the PK. However, doubt he scores much at all.

Negatives

Markstrom - Canucks need over the top goal-tending to stay in games and Markstrom was far short of that. Seemed to get caught deep on shots. Wonder if pad size changes might affect him.

Edler - another ponderous effort. Sloppy puck movement leading to turnovers and great chances against. Canucks need a leader on the back end but doubt Edler can provide that.

Gaudette - not ready. Kopitar had his lunch (which is to be expected) and stripped Gaudette cleanly all game. Gaudette does not have the stick work need to facilitate offense and his only observable ability so far is to harass puck carriers. Given too much responsibility at center and probably needs to be on the wing. Line had a couple of decent shifts in the third but you could see that a vet team will absorb their pressure and then burn then on quick transition.

Archibald - one of the primary asset he must have is to get the puck out of his zone and into the other zone so line can get on the fore-check. There are too many bobbles with the puck and mis-directed passes which lead to turnovers that then caused his line to get trapped in their zone. Schaller is better than Archibald right now in that department. Schaller is also the better skater.

Boeser - needs to be a lot better.

Baertschi - being put in position to do something and isn't. Showing he doesn't have the wheels or finish to be anything other than mediocre on offensively. Fact team depends on his offense is illustration enough of the dire offensive situation on the team.

Virtanen - reverting to brain dead hockey. Very out of sync with teammates and dozing at times. Did not pick up the man in the slot on the first goal against b/c once again he got day dreaming and didn't read the play. A very frustrating player.

Goldobin - he is trying to play a better overall game but is lack of physicality makes him largely ineffective at it. Did get into situations to shoot the puck but seems to dally with it and then lose it. You question the overall speed of this player.

Others

del Zotto - nothing special but adequate. Coverage was decent and moved the puck fairly well thru neutral zone

Gudbranson - overall was ok. Broke up few plays at his blue line and moved the puck fairly quickly. Got in trouble however when he tried to skate too much with the puck or not make the simple play. Skating in transition remains an issue.

Beiga - doesn't have the jump so far this season. Players are getting on him more quickly and he is ending up being pushed into the boards with back to the play. Thus ends up getting forced into bad turnovers in his end. He may end up in Utica as I think Hutton, who hasn't be great, is probably looking better. such is the situation on the backend.

See LA got Brinkley. Among other faults of our management the Canucks have not been able to get these upper people that are available (undrafted, etc) out of college. Not totally sure but think Smyl is in charge here - thus it is little wonder we can't.

Rink was bad - luckily no one got hurt skating around in the dark.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Gudbranson has been the biggest disappointment for me. We know he's not a 2nd pairing anchor, but if he changed his name Ernie Goodman and was here on a PTO is there anyone that wouldn't release him?
The fact we traded for him makes it worse. Then reward him with a new contract. Like a poster said. Andrew Alberts was a better player than him. He knew when to hit. Gudbranson doesn’t know

Reactions: Pavel96

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
Fell asleep during the second and missed the rest of the game.

Oh well.

Has Boeser woken up yet?
He had a decent game. Plenty of good chances to bury one tonight, but nothing that went in. Some sticks in his shooting lanes, some nice saves from Quick. It'll come back to him. He definitely looks like he really wants a goal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks will clearly be the Pacific Division bottom-feeders. That's just the way it is. Can't score five-on-five and nothing offensively from the same group of blueliners as last season. It's a rinse and repeat year, minus the Sedins.

But have to agree with other posters, it starts in goal. If the Canucks had Quick instead of Markstrom at least they'd be in every game. As it is, they'll be studying the Jack Hughes lottery odds by Xmas.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I feel bad for Green. Theres literally nothing he can do. You just jumble a bunch of lines and hope it works out.

After Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser and Baertschi

ALL of the rest of the roster, you can literally pick a name out of a hat and put it in a position and it would be the same

There really is nothing to work with we are missing two top 6 forwards, 2 NHL d-men, and a starting goalie. If this isn't a purposeful tank, it's a disaster.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The fact we traded for him makes it worse. Then reward him with a new contract. Like a poster said. Andrew Alberts was a better player than him. He knew when to hit. Gudbranson doesn’t know

#3 overall drafted after Hall and Seguin. Had an okay WJC campaign in 2011, 2 major hits thrown based on my recollection. Never a standout player. Never dominated at any level. Junior stats were mediocre. Meh all around and was drafted solely on potential around his size/skating.

Reactions: Andre Boudrias

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Biggest thing I can say after reviewing these comments is that people in general need to be more even keel. Stop freaking out over a few good games by certain players, and stop shitting on guys after a few bad games.

I mean let's look at this from a simple perspective, the Canucks were a bottom team last year. Since then, they lost the Sedins and Vanek. That's a ton of points out, being replaced by younger unproven players.

The Canucks are returning the exact same defence (more than likely) after a dreadful display last year. Virtually non-existent offensive contribution from the back end.

Here's the x-factor for me, there are no NHL ready players between the young (little to no experience young guys, Lind, Godjovich, Dahlen etc..) and the 23-28 year old players like Granlund, Baertchi, Motte etc....

Because of that, there's a huge gap right now where everyone desperately wants these guys to play and be ready but how can we expect them to be? Most of them haven't even had games in the AHL.

I remember when Detroit was a power house and they would call guys up and they were always so good. It's because they had that time in the AHL chomping at the bit.

I think EP, Gaudette Juolevi are the only guys that look ready to me. Everyone else needs more time and because of they those spots will have to be filled with boring place holders like the Gagner's, Archibald's and Motte's of this world.

In 2-3 years when Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Hughes, Woo, EP, Dahlen and a bunch more are ready, this team is going to be damn exciting.

But until then, its 2019 draft watch and many boring games ahead.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Canucks will clearly be the Pacific Division bottom-feeders. That's just the way it is. Can't score five-on-five and nothing offensively from the same group of blueliners as last season. It's a rinse and repeat year, minus the Sedins.

But have to agree with other posters, it starts in goal. If the Canucks had Quick instead of Markstrom at least they'd be in every game. As it is, they'll be studying the Jack Hughes lottery odds by Xmas.

Agreed, shows the ineptitude of this management team. It was obvious from last year ( by being a bottom 3 team) that this D-core was not going to CUT IT. They weren't going to generate five-on-five because they can't pass at all. It baffles me... I mean it's lunacy that the same D-core is brought back, and given RAISES. Nothing motivates a player more then play bad only to get a raise. You tell me with this garbage D the Canucks couldn't promise Quinn Hughes a spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad