Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Did they all have a big turkey dinner yesterday and are still in a food coma? You'd think they would have scrambled to do something to complete this roster before a big week of hockey with three games in five days no?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No real point in firing him and creating a hole in management. Who would replace him if we fired him midseason?

Makes much more sense to wait it out, let Staios get as much info and gain as much xp and comfort as possible and then fire Dorion into in the sun via a press release and have a big event about his replacement not long after if not immediately after.
Mathieu Darche would be good.

Reactions: Icelevel

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Have we really heard the breakdown of responsibilities between Staios and Dorion? Andlauer seemed to say for him, he doesnt get involved, letting managers manage. This would seem to be a good organizational culture to filter down too. If I was being hired and fired based off my work, i wouldnt want someone else interfering in my decisions and then firing me because things didnt work out. Im guessing that is how Dubas felt about Shanahan.

Is Staios part of the management team making day to day decisions? Or is he a more long term thinker that will let Dorion make day to day GM decisions and do the hiring and firing decisions based on how they manage? My hunch is that top of class management does the latter.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Have we really heard the breakdown of responsibilities between Staios and Dorion? Andlauer seemed to say for him, he doesnt get involved, letting managers manage. This would seem to be a good organizational culture to filter down too. If I was being hired and fired based off my work, i wouldnt want someone else interfering in my decisions and then firing me because things didnt work out. Im guessing that is how Dubas felt about Shanahan.

Is Staios part of the management team making day to day decisions? Or is he a more long term thinker that will let Dorion make day to day GM decisions and do the hiring and firing decisions based on how they manage? My hunch is that top of class management does the latter.

My understanding is that Dorion is doing the day to day and Staios is observing the whole of Hockey Ops and evaluating needs

Reactions: Dionysus

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

My understanding is that Dorion is doing the day to day and Staios is observing the whole of Hockey Ops and evaluating needs

He just keeps circling « need a new GM » on an otherwise blank sheet of paper

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I'd be interested to know what the thought process has been this summer, and what other staff think about how things have unfolded.

As much as Dorion is handicapped by a short staff, and while sure, having Tierney 6 months ago might have allowed us to avoid this, this hasn't been a particularly complex situation and its pretty ridiculous that its been made into one.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be interested to know what the thought process has been this summer, and what other staff think about how things have unfolded.

As much as Dorion is handicapped by a short staff, and while sure, having Tierney 6 months ago might have allowed us to avoid this, this hasn't been a particularly complex situation and its pretty ridiculous that its been made into one.
Its like buying a new car and paying the down payment with your currently in the bank upcoming mortgage payment. No more complicated than that.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Its like buying a new car and paying the down payment with your currently in the bank upcoming mortgage payment. No more complicated than that.
Lol, spot on.

It's a shame that the sale process dragged on so long. Staois hasn't had enough time to evaluate - while firing Dorion is inevitable and obvious, how to restructure the front office is far more complicated. You want to know who you want to keep and who you dont before you chop the head off.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Dorion was probably betting on Matt Murray being bought out. He gambled and now finds himself in a bit of a mess.

I still think when a gift like Tarasenko lands in your lap, you don't pass. It created a problem, but it'll get resolved sooner than later. They have to dump Joseph. It'll happen.

I'll make a bold prediction; both Norris and Pinto will be in the lineup for the season home opener next Saturday.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion was probably betting on Matt Murray being bought out. He gambled and now finds himself in a bit of a mess.

I still think when a gift like Tarasenko lands in your lap, you don't pass. It created a problem, but it'll get resolved sooner than later. They have to dump Joseph. It'll happen.

I'll make a bold prediction; both Norris and Pinto will be in the lineup for the season home opener next Saturday.
Hope you are right all around.
A simple don't count your chickens lesson that you should know by now.

Sometimes you just can't afford the really good buy even if you have the cash right now.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Pretty sure the Tarasenko signing came after the buyout window had ended.

I think the plan was for Murray to be bought out but Dorion impulsed on just giving Tarasenko the deal anyways and thinking he would get rid of Joseph easy or Pinto would somehow play for peanuts.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think a Pinto deal is being held up by the Sens not being able to open space for him. Both Friedman and Garrioch have said that the Sens are very confident that they can move a body when the time comes.

Right now I think the primary holdup is Josh Norris. Had he come to camp healthy, played a few exhibition games and looked good to go I think the Pinto situation would be resolved right now. That didn't happen and now matters are much more complicated. Is he going to be able to go this year? Nobody really knows, but at some point soon we're going to find out.

Imagine Dorion attaches a 1st round pick to dump Mathieu Joseph and then 7-10 days later Norris goes on LTIR because his shoulder didn't hold up. So now he's punted off a useful player and a high draft pick for literally no benefit. If that happens he may as well just resign then and there.

Seems like there is no good option for an immediate resolution. Dorion has waited this long, he may as well see it through properly.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the plan was for Murray to be bought out but Dorion impulsed on just giving Tarasenko the deal anyways and thinking he would get rid of Joseph easy or Pinto would somehow play for peanuts.
If the plan was "hope Toronto does something that they probably won't have to do and that that it helps us out" then that was a really f***ing stupid plan.

Knowing Dorion, I wouldn't put it past him to plan around that. Planning around something you have no control over, what could go wrong?

Reactions: Sun God Nika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad