Playoff Race Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Let's hope not. Tampa would be a better chance.

I don't know if that's true, yes I know Boston has beat them, but they are, and have been for years a 1 line team.

Had Kadri not gotten suspended I truly believe the Leafs would have won that series.

That won't happen again because Kadri's not. here and a guy like Jason Spezza isn't going to be an idiot and choose to get himself suspended.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't know if that's true, yes I know Boston has beat them, but they are, and have been for years a 1 line team.

Had Kadri not gotten suspended I truly believe the Leafs would have won that series.

That won't happen again because Kadri's not. here and a guy like Jason Spezza isn't going to be an idiot and choose to get himself suspended.
You can dream all you want. Bruins have 3 solid lines with the top line in the NHL. They suck the life out ya. And they have a top 5 defense and a top 5 goalie. We don't match up to their game with our personnel. Sure they are getting older but they can rope a dope for 2/3 rd of a game and still win. We can't. We are full out for 60 minutes on offensive to win. We can trade chances with Tampa. We won't get much with Bruins.

Reactions: IPS and Koolboss

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
ok, so you want a better system where Toronto gets in the playoffs all the time? Gotcha.

The best system where teams earn their spots is top 16 points in the league get in. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so on. That way, its fair for both conferences. A team in the east missing the playoffs with 95 points while a team in the west gets in with 91. Most of the big sports to it that way, why doesnt hockey?
In the spirit of the times we live in, Bettman wants more trophies man!

Fake Division Championship Trophies and meaningless Conference Championship Trophies don't matter to me. But they matter to marketers.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
honestly the best idea which will NEVER happen is the call out method.

1 vs 16 ranked.
1st overall gets to choose opponent.
2nd overall etc.

that would be the most incredible thing. You could literally have a playoff draft. Teams could weigh travel, injuries head to head.

Would NEVER happen. But imagine the ratings.
The caps could chose the 8th in east due to travel. Or whatever BS pacific team gets in..
I like this. Could you imagine the motivation that would give to the "chosen" team? These series would be intense!

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Had more to do with Debrusk being able give multiple head shots, knee on knees with no call. If the refs did their job that play never happens. Kadri's hit was no different than what Debrusk was doing the entire series. Bad officiating, players try to govern the game themselves, then the refs wanna step in and call penalties.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You can dream all you want. Bruins have 3 solid lines with the top line in the NHL. They suck the life out ya. And they have a top 5 defense and a top 5 goalie. We don't match up to their game with our personnel. Sure they are getting older but they can rope a dope for 2/3 rd of a game and still win. We can't. We are full out for 60 minutes on offensive to win. We can trade chances with Tampa. We won't get much with Bruins.

They have 2 lines at best. Pasta/Berg/Marchand obviously, then you got Krejci/Debrusk and nobody else really after that. Rask is playing phenomenal, their team defence is solid that's basically how they win. They have the best line in hockey right now and a team that knows how to play as a unit with an elite and arguably the best goalie in the league right now. That's more than enough to be a real contender.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Its not true and Boston will always be the Leafs daddy unfortunately

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Remember when we traded Rask to keep Pogge? Historic trade of all time. Thanks Ferguson.
Brutal trade not doubt but you may want to check your history. It never happened the way you’re alluding.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Boston wouldn't pick us for sure. Unless of course Andersen got hurt on the eve of the playoffs or whatever. But just the possibility of them picking us is the kind of thing that would drive ratings through the roof.

Makes so much sense, also helps avoid teams tanking the last game to get a more desirable opponent etc.
Agreed - and my comment that Boston would pick us every year was very much tongue-in-cheek.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed - and my comment that Boston would pick us every year was very much tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, I kind of figured that was the case. I think it had to be said though and if you didn't say it, someone else would have. :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We are lucky in the sense that Florida seems to want it even less than the Leafs do. But will quickly need to snap out of it so Florida doesn't pass us if they decide to wake up, or if Montreal goes on a 10 game heater.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We are lucky in the sense that Florida seems to want it even less than the Leafs do. But will quickly need to snap out of it so Florida doesn't pass us if they decide to wake up, or if Montreal goes on a 10 game heater.

Montreal is 9-3 in their last 12...they are bound to come down to earth, but if they go 9-3 in their next 12 again, then you really have to give it to them.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Now 2 points up on Florida. Despite the 3rd period issues, we are still okay.

Florida still has 2 games in hand...not out of the woodwork yet, and Montreal is only 5 points behind with 25 games to play...destiny is in the Leafs' hands...need to keep on winning and get the points and beat Florida in regulation in the 2 remaining games against them...looking like 3rd in the Atlantic is the easiest route to the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal is 9-3 in their last 12...they are bound to come down to earth, but if they go 9-3 in their next 12 again, then you really have to give it to them.

Leafs have to just take care of business. The Florida meltdown seems to have really scarred their psyche this past week. It's remarkable what an incompetent goaltender can do to a group.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If we could just get out of our own ******* way we'd be fine

We have a decent backup now but we do seem to enjoy making things difficult for ourselves

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Florida still has 2 games in hand...not out of the woodwork yet, and Montreal is only 5 points behind with 25 games to play...destiny is in the Leafs' hands...need to keep on winning and get the points and beat Florida in regulation in the 2 remaining games against them...looking like 3rd in the Atlantic is the easiest route to the playoffs.
Yeah it's just small things hurting us right now. We need some consistency. 3rd periods weren't a problem before but maybe the Florida game ruined their confidence.
I am still confident we will get back to ourselves but running out of time

Reactions: Superstar

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If we could just get out of our own ******* way we'd be fine

We have a decent backup now but we do seem to enjoy making things difficult for ourselves
Maybe the Florida game messed up their mind. They play scared in the 3rd.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Florida also gets the tiebreaker between us as they have more regulation wins. They win 1 of their 2 games in hand and we're back on the outside looking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad