Series Talk: Playoff Qualifier Series: Minnesota Wild vs Vancouver Canucks (VAN wins 3-1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't disagree, but I don't see a situation where they wouldn't go with Stalock and Dubnyk to start. It's just realistic to not throw Kahkonen straight into the fire. Especially after they didn't even bring a guy like Addison. Kahkonen never had a chance.

Slight difference, Kahkonen actually has some NHL games.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Slight difference, Kahkonen actually has some NHL games.

I was just talking about using Addison as a black ace, not actually giving him regular minutes. It's clear they don't care about getting the guys that type experience right now.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Considering rousell has the mental depth of a pop cap it's no surprise he doesnt understand the concept of depth...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Reminds me of when Steve Ott tried to talk himself into relevancy during the 2015 St. Louis series.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fun fact: Stalock has the highest win percentage this season of goalies in this series. Not saying he's better than Markstrom, but I think Minnesota is a better team with him in net than Vancouver with Markstrom.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Dom said:
At minus-1.9 wins Alex Stalock has the largest negative impact of any goalie in the qualifying round. It’s bleak, but it’s technically an improvement over incumbent Devan Dubnyk, from whom Stalock stole the starting job late in the season. Dubnyk, as arguably the weakest goalie in the league over the last three seasons, would be worth minus-3.1 wins.
Over the last three season’s Stalock’s .908 save percentage may not seem too bad, but one has to remember he’s earned that in Minnesota playing behind one of the stingiest teams in the league. That .908 is actually quite paltry compared to the .922 expected of him based on the quality of chances allowed and as a result Stalock has allowed 34 goals more than expected in just 87 games. It’s the fifth-worst mark in the league over the time frame with two of the goalies below him no longer in the NHL. This season wasn’t very different as he finished fourth-last allowing 16 goals more than expected. Dubnyk was last at minus-27, but still, it’s far from ideal. The Wild could really use a goaltending upgrade.

Gee wonder.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Also from the Luszcy article: "By my model, Brodin carries the highest defensive impact in the league with Spurgeon in third. Having one player on each of the top two pairs of that calibre is a big reason why the team is so stingy. That duo is a vital part of the team’s identity."

So uh, there's that.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
That aligns with my super unstatistical assessment that Brodin has been the team's best defenseman since approximately when Suter suffered a potentially career-ending injury.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I'm numb at this point for this series/playoff hockey in general, maybe that'll change once the nucks start being pests.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
After watching the Canucks last night (a 1-4 loss to the Jets) I feel much better about a victory for the Wild in this series. Yes it was just an exhibition game, but the Canucks really didn't impress me. Young, inexperienced and nervous I guess.

But Foligno needs to stay out of the penalty box...

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Also from the Luszcy article: "By my model, Brodin carries the highest defensive impact in the league with Spurgeon in third. Having one player on each of the top two pairs of that calibre is a big reason why the team is so stingy. That duo is a vital part of the team’s identity."

So uh, there's that.

This is why I'm a big proponent of doing everything possible to keep the Top 4 in tact.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
4+4+1 would do that.

I have a feeling that Guerin is going to give Galchenyuk every chance to prove himself in these playoffs, as he has to make a decision on whether to re-sign him. I would guess that he has already written off Rask, and that he thinks Sturm to be the 4C of the future. Galchenyuk would be the middle C yang to JEE's ying in an ideal world. Would be a hell of a find if it works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spurgeon

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If we start next season with no new centers on this team it would be insanity

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we start next season with no new centers on this team it would be insanity

Real bad free agent market, and how many names that are talked about here are actually available in a trade? It might not be as insane as you might think. A Galchenyuk that performs "fine" in these playoffs, with Kaprizov subbed in for Foligno on his LW? Not sure it's not worth a try for a year.

Disregarding that he's on the team already, looking at the UFA center market, Galchenyuk would probably be #3 on my "f*** it, let's see what happens list" behind Haula and Granlund, and both of those guys aren't exactly prizes.

We all like the idea of Domi or Strome or Cirelli to some degree, but doesn't mean that their teams are actively looking to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad