Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Very true! I think many in America see Canada as a utopia where nobody is judged and everyone is accepted and cared for, but when having to deal with the Taxes and everything else comes with having to move up there, most Americans are deciding to instead stick to where they currently reside or move to other places in the United States.

As an European I rather “deal” with higher taxes than with millions of homeless people, abandoned cites, massive crime rate, drug epidemics and a neglected society in general. You know, taxes will help you solve your issues…

Reactions: KapG

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
All I know is a murdering cop is in jail today whereas without those protests he would've hide behind his badge and gotten away on a technicality.

So to that end, the movement served it's cause.

Racist cops in general probably are shit scared now that they can't do random bullshit without the hammer coming down on them next.
You didn't address my point. At all.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I think Derek Chauvin would have gotten away with a slap on the wrist and would sitting at home eating a pizza right now if people did not get so angry about what happened that it put immense pressure on the legal system to finally do something. Because that was the previous status quo.

I think a crooked police officer today who's been used to doing shady shit for much of their career is a little scared these days of getting caught doing something bad on camera.

But ok, a TV was stolen.

Based on what? Do you have an iota of evidence to back this up, or are you simply trying to excuse garbage, criminal behavior by telling yourself that the riots were the sole difference maker in a case of blatant murder caught on camera with nothing to back it up with?

I mean, sure, we'll forget about the 25+ deaths, countless lives ruined and billions of dollars in property damages because clearly my example of an individual stealing a TV was the worst possible example of what has transpires from these incredible, verdict changing riots.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As an European I rather “deal” with higher taxes than with millions of homeless people, abandoned cites, massive crime rate, drug epidemics and a neglected society in general. You know, taxes will help you solve your issues…

As a millionaire athlete you'll barely encounter any of that.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You have the right to not take it, but I think a owner of a private business has equally the right to say you're not allowed in their premises or you have to provide proof of a negative test done recently.
That would be coercion/discrimination.

Luckily there are a lot of businesses around who are absolutely not okay with such a policy so we SHOULD be okay.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The fact some players born & raised here don't want to come back to Canada is a little more telling. The spotlight is a double edged sword (Crippling attention/criticism, but if you win here your a legend for life).
That's just it. If you're 28 years old, you've never seen a sunrise on a Canadian Cup victory. That's a long time. There's nothing double edged about it when recollections of what it's like when a Canadian city wins the Cup have receded into myth and memory. All you have left is crippling attention and criticism. That's a hard sell. We could all use a reminder, and so could the players.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Based on what? Do you have an iota of evidence to back this up, or are you simply trying to excuse garbage, criminal behavior by telling yourself that the riots were the sole difference maker in a case of blatant murder caught on camera with nothing to back it up with?

I mean, sure, we'll forget about the 25+ deaths, countless lives ruined and billions of dollars in property damages because clearly my example of an individual stealing a TV was the worst possible example of what has transpires from these incredible, verdict changing riots.

Based on many cops getting away with murder in the past. It's extremely difficult to get a conviction on a police officer even when they are literally on video caught killing someone.

If societal power structures want to turn a blind eye to things like that, they can expect violence at some point. This is real life, not a Disney movie, people get angry if you piss them off long enough, especially when you deny basic justice and let institutions operate above accountability.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That would be coercion/discrimination.

Luckily there are a lot of businesses around who are absolutely not okay with such a policy so we SHOULD be okay.

That's not discrimination, you don't have the right to spread a virus.

Daycares can refuse admission to unvaccinated kids too, because they don't want those kids spreading who knows what all over the place.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah, all of those crybabies that threatened to move to Canada if Trump ever got elected were all still living cozily in America for the entire Trump presidency!

I don’t like Trump and have never liked him, but it just goes to show you that, nowadays, most people are all “bitch and moan” and no action!
Most of them are phonies, just like most celebrities.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
What a stupid reply. All you simpletons know how to do is meme. You literally can't debate.
You know what I'll actually give you a reply. You want to know why I care about this? I'm immunosuppressed because of chemotherapy drugs I have to take. So is my father for the same reason. I got the vaccine but because of my chemo it will not be as effective. If people had some empathy and cared about people like me they would get the vaccine.

Last edited:

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Trust me…I know! I went to Washington D.C. again last week and there are still homeless encampments everywhere! Literally, as soon as you drive in to D.C. from the South Side, you have a giant homeless encampment on the bridge above you welcoming you to the Nation’s Capital!

At this point, no matter how sad, most of the Americans have accepted that it’s the survival of the fittest, and their goal is to stay as far from that bridge as possible!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Based on many cops getting away with murder in the past. It's extremely difficult to get a conviction on a police officer even when they are literally on video caught killing someone.

If societal power structures want to turn a blind eye to things like that, they can expect violence at some point. This is real life, not a Disney movie, people get angry if you piss them off long enough, especially when you deny basic justice and let institutions operate above accountability.

Ferguson burnt to the ground during the Michael Brown case, the jury didn't change their verdict.

The video taken of Chauvin having his knee on Floyd's neck for 8+ minutes, including 2+ minutes after he fell unconscious is what resulted in Chauvins conviction, not Sally burning down a local car lot who's now patting herself on the back and telling herself she made a difference.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ferguson burnt to the ground during the Michael Brown case, the jury didn't change their verdict.

The video taken of Chauvin having his knee on Floyd's neck for 8+ minutes, including 2+ minutes after he fell unconscious is what resulted in Chauvins conviction, not Sally burning down a local car lot who's now patting herself on the back and telling herself she made a difference.

Whatever floats your boat. I think police officers who are racist see that and see that they are f***ed now if they are ever caught on camera doing something whereas before they probably thought they had a decent shot of getting away. Rodney King was beaten to an inch of his life being snuffed out in clear camera footage and the cops got away with nothing.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Whatever floats your boat. I think police officers who are racist see that and see that they are f***ed now if they are ever caught on camera doing something whereas before they probably thought they had a decent shot of getting away. Rodney King was beaten to an inch of his life being snuffed out in clear camera footage and the cops got away with nothing.

For every Rodney King incident I can name an example of protests/riots breaking out as a result of racial injustice (Some are legitimate, some not so legitimate) Breonna Taylor, Jacob Blake, Michael Brown just off the top of my head.

There's zero evidence that riots lead to convictions, point blank.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Talking for a lot of the Swedish NHLers I’ve met, they expressed that Canada was more like Sweden in a way, which was nice, but they did get the “Let’s not bother the nice ol hockey player when he’s buying diapers”-approach in the US (b/c they don’t know who they are ofc), and that’s kinda how it is in Sweden, albeit for other reasons.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For every Rodney King incident I can name an example of protests/riots breaking out as a result of racial injustice (Some are legitimate, some not so legitimate) Breonna Taylor, Jacob Blake, Michael Brown just off the top of my head.

There's zero evidence that riots lead to convictions, point blank.

It's led to a cultural shift I would say, things that were previously just turned a bit of a blind eye to are now even in white America triggering difficult discussions that wouldn't be happening otherwise.

People realize the African American community in the US is fed the f*** up. I think more and more people also realize there is a problem in US policing. I think changes to policing will be coming in the next 10-15 years.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Oh trust me, my life's nothing to write home about right now. The flip side is when things aren't so great you learn to appreciate the smaller things.

EDIT: Oops, I read that as you're jealous of my life. Nevermind.
I thought about my posts and you know what. I apologize for insulting you. I will delete all of the insults. If I want to have any hope of changing your mind on the vaccine that won't help.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Oh trust me, my life's nothing to write home about right now. The flip side is when things aren't so great you learn to appreciate the smaller things.

EDIT: Oops, I read that as you're jealous of my life. Nevermind.

haha well I mean having friends would be swell too but I can't get too greedy

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I thought about my posts and you know what. I apologize for insulting you. I will delete all of the insults. If I want to have any hope of changing your mind on the vaccine that won't help.
This is how we should all be to each other, props to you for this. I am so sick over all of the division and hatred these days, it absolutely goes against everything we've all been afforded in life.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Oh brother...yeah....just what the world needs ...more taxes..yeah because more Govt and taxes always solves everything.....wow.....I am guessing you must work be a bureaucrat.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This is how we should all be to each other, props to you for this. I am so sick over all of the division and hatred these days, it absolutely goes against everything we've all been afforded in life.
Exactly. We're not each other's enemy. Problem is I feel like I have to defend myself so much that I end up getting sucked into the fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad