Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Exactly. We're not each other's enemy. Problem is I feel like I have to defend myself so much that I end up getting sucked into the fighting.

Totally agree my friend... it doesn't even matter these days what your political beliefs are, they're both insanely toxic and just make things worse, wish people would realize this and just cut all of that shit out of their lives, everyone would be better off for it.

Reactions: Aeroforce

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Exactly. We're not each other's enemy. Problem is I feel like I have to defend myself so much that I end up getting sucked into the fighting.
The most frightening thing about the world is when you realize that beneath all the bullshit that is supposed to make us different…we’re all very similar!

More or less, we’re all just trying to make sense of the things we see and read!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Totally agree my friend... it doesn't even matter these days what your political beliefs are, they're both insanely toxic and just make things worse, wish people would realize this and just cut all of that shit out of their lives, everyone would be better off for it.
Yep. I think we all need to A) Stop watching the news, and B) stop going on social media. Then we'd relearn how to form our own opinions and personalities.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The most frightening thing about the world is when you realize that beneath all the bullshit that is supposed to make us different…we’re all very similar!

More or less, we’re all just trying to make sense of the things we see and read!
Bingo! The differences are all being brought up and pushed under the guise of social justice but what it's really doing is compartmentalizing all of us. Nobody used to care how many deaths or cases of the flu there were, or who got the flu shot and who didn't. But do daily reports on the news and social media and people will follow it like a cult. They care because the media tells them to care, not because they care deep down.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What's the social media aspect of that?
Well, as you know, social media can't cross borders.

When you tweet or whatever from Edmonton they can't see it in New York, and vice versa.

That must be how it works, right? Otherwise, that social media commenty-thing would make no flippin' sense at all!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lets talk about the fact that I' m really disappointed that there was no new news today about Jack Eichel.. the biggest trade piece out there right now.

...and will he agree to move to Canada?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Lets talk about the fact that I' m really disappointed that there was no new news today about Jack Eichel.. the biggest trade piece out there right now.

...and will he agree to move to Canada?

Attachments

• source (2).gif
    source (2).gif
    929 KB · Views: 4

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Well, whatever reason do you have not to take it? There’s a global pandemic going on -

People not taking the vaccine just tells me that their either ignorant, idiots, selfish or uneducated - all of which kinda goes hand in hand
Eh, reconsidered and it's best not to even comment, take care!

Last edited:

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Well this thread is a tire fire.

That being said, of course players don’t all want to play in Canada. It’s been that way for decades. Toronto hasn’t been able to attract a lot of decent free agents until recently and even then it was guys “coming home”.

The media is terrible, the fans are insane, the weather is awful, and if you’re a millionaire the US has way more options for you. Canada is great for families, but younger guys in their 20s have no reason to want ti play here.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You risk fines or even possible jail time depending on certain anti language laws. Not sure pro athletes necessarily need to worry about this but in fact, Canada no longer has freedom of speech regarding numerous topics. I know political talk is banned on the site so there isn’t much more than can be said on this topic without it becoming that topic.
Except this post is a load of crap.

None of those reasons make sense even the taxes one as at the end of the day the tax difference is not much if anything when compared to many areas US teams are located. This is especially true when you consider that the players are paid in US $ while living in Canada so each buck they make is currently worth $1.20 Canadian which is the currency they pay their expenses in.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Good thing 43% of the NHL are Canadians who really don't have a problem living in Canada. Then you got your Fins and Swedes and Russians too.
I suspect a large majority of players that have an issue with living in Canada are Americans which comprise 28% of the league.
I can live with a few Americans not wanting to live in this beautiful country.
The country is indeed beautiful. I just could never afford to live in it.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Oh it’s definitely an exaggeration, I know that not every hockey fan in Canada is like that, but I’m sure that on average there are more Canadian fans like that there are American fans…and that’s the point I’m trying to make.

For some reason, old dumbass American fans prefer watching Baseball over Hockey and I definitely think there’s an opening for Hockey to take over for that shitty sport.

People want constant and real excitement and not 3 minutes of actual play time in a 4 hour span with a crappy sports like Baseball!

I wish the NHL actually had a competent Commissioner to raise Hockey’s profile, but instead we’re stuck with Bettman…who thinks that young fans will be drawn to freaking Macklemore and then embarrasses the League by putting on that shitty and super boring event last night.

If the NHL wants to progress the game, they need a new, innovative Commissioner in the worst way imaginable!!

In Bettman’s tenure, this league has grown immensely. And if he was doing such a crap job, the league owners who are the ones that give the commissioner their job…wouldn’t keep rehiring the guy. They love him. If they didn’t, someone else would be installed. He’s delivered on almost every front. Which means the owners have delivered on every front. The commissioner, after all, is just a mouthpiece for ownership. He doewn’t act independently/unilaterally. He carries out the wishes of ownership. No one ever really seems to understand that. It blows my mind.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think it's because players can't handle criticism, they just want to play like crap and get paid a ton. Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Vancouver the market, fans and media will eat you up here and these players can't handle it.
I actually think it’s a little different, I think it’s an age range, I’m noticing now some of the younger guys are really liking the aspects of being in Canada (not all but some) due to being treated like a star and I know Montreal has made changes even to their drafting process to select more guys who exhibit stronger mental fortitude then they did in the past

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
You risk fines or even possible jail time depending on certain anti language laws. Not sure pro athletes necessarily need to worry about this but in fact, Canada no longer has freedom of speech regarding numerous topics. I know political talk is banned on the site so there isn’t much more than can be said on this topic without it becoming that topic.
LOL this isn't remotely true. Hate speech was never protected under freedom of speech (and FYI, it's the same in the US). They just made it easier to punish, but the definitions of what's protected didn't change.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I think its taxes, restrictions and living in a fishbowl. I remember a story of a player trying to go out to dinner with his wife and a few fans bothering him about a pass he made that they thought cost the game. I mean just look at how Toronto fans act on this board...love a player one day and want to shoot him to the moon the next.

Very few markets in America is a player going to be given any heat for mistakes. Most markets will not even know the players name unless they are a star. You have usually 2-3 other pro sports teams in the same town....and the NHL is almost never the most popular.
True , add in the weather, 6 months of winter in some places and Canada's political values which have certainly went to the far left lately. These are all factors.

Reactions: razor ray

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Not surprised. There's a reason Marner disabled his comments after the playoffs.

But this is the sad reality. Canadian teams do tend to have bad management, a lot of pressure, etc but it's also true that they are a serious disadvantage in attracting talent. I laugh at the Free agent prediction thread where a few people predicted Hamilton to end up in Winnipeg or Edmonton. LOL. That's why I didn't laugh too hard at Edmonton signing Hyman to that horrid contract. Sadly they have to overpay

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It's interesting because the social media/fishbowl theory is true to NFL and NBA players in the big markets yet they still love playing there. I guess hockey players in general just don't crave the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad