GDT: All things training camp

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Barron has one strange year at 22 years old when he had 21 points in 21 games. He's never come near that again. He's had 17 points in 30 games since then, but small sample size, so it has to be taken for what it is.

I recognize it's important not to get caved in but why can't your third and 4th lines win you games?
Your bottom six can't win you games because they don't play enough minutes to

That said, with the Jets it's more of a "top 9/bottom 3" scenario. Lowry's like absolutely helped win games last year

At the end of the day, I just don't think that you understand what coaches want players to do on the ice. Maybe go back and listen to every comment that arniel made about Chibs and Lambert during camp. The consistent thing is "away from the puck"

You teach a player how to do that in the AHL

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But the Jets top guys continue to get caved in from a chance perspective and that's okay? Seems to be a conflicting message.

To me the top line is the biggest issue outside of defensive depth. Our bottom 9 was excellent at outscoring last year but it will be a tough task to carry a top line that is below league average

Reactions: Mathil8

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Your bottom six can't win you games because they don't play enough minutes to

That said, with the Jets it's more of a "top 9/bottom 3" scenario. Lowry's like absolutely helped win games last year

At the end of the day, I just don't think that you understand what coaches want players to do on the ice. Maybe go back and listen to every comment that arniel made about Chibs and Lambert during camp. The consistent thing is "away from the puck"

You teach a player how to do that in the AHL

Lmao. Or maybe I just don't agree with what coaches want players to do.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
To me the top line is the biggest issue outside of defensive depth. Our bottom 9 was excellent at outscoring last year but it will be a tough task to carry a top line that is below league average

That top line needs to carry us on the Power play. They score more there we will win a lot next year

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Does the AHL track advanced stats now?

All I can find is this:

His goals for % was 53.9 and goals for rel was 9.6%. Doesn't seem to factor in PDO, but that sure doesn't look like he was caved in to me.
Try 5v5

Lmao. Or maybe I just don't agree with what coaches want players to do.
Then you should send TNSE your coaching and GM resumes. I'm sure you could do a much better job, and some of your ideas (like playing young guys in the NHL) have never occurred to them

Maybe they know something you don't know because they watch every shift and every practice of the players that you think you have a full and informed opinion on

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Ah yes, didn't see that button. 32% and -15%. Fair.

Try 5v5

Then you should send TNSE your coaching and GM resumes. I'm sure you could do a much better job, and some of your ideas (like playing young guys in the NHL) have never occurred to them

Maybe they know something you don't know because they watch every shift and every practice of the players that you think you have a full and informed opinion on

Ah yes. So we should never question what they do. Maybe they're just too risk averse.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Next time Salomonsson gets to the NHL he will never go back to the AHL.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
Can’t wait for the endless procrastination with YAGER on the Moose and not with the Jets in 2026-27:ha: :help:
No, no. I'm sure he'll get at least one game in the show in 2026-27...he'll probably score a goal but will quickly get pasted to the press box or sent down to the Moose the moment he loses a board battle or takes a hooking penalty! Don't worry...watching the playoffs from the PB is a good way of developing young prospects.

It'll be quite the battle during the 2027-28 camp though...it'll be tough for him to knock off the proven vets Gus and Kupari, who will by then have a combined 900 games and 11 goals between them. Safe bets though...

/s ;)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
What's the argument that he's better than Iafallo?

Iafallo has averaged 0.46 points per game over 500 NHL games and can play on any line, both special teams, and is an elite puck retriever

Chibs hasn't shown anything close to that in the NHL level. He's played ONE game
I like iafallo on the top line last year. Iirc, He was racking up the points.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
cool, just confused about why you bring up the amount he makes, not like the jets are/were in desperate need of the cap space
If you can bring in someone else and get similar results for a quarter of that, why wouldn't you. It gives you a ton more flexibility with the cap as the year goes on.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If you can bring in someone else and get similar results for a quarter of that, why wouldn't you. It gives you a ton more flexibility with the cap as the year goes on.
we will have like 12-15 million in deadline space, were fine on the cap, he is a legit nhler and we can afford him... and you don't know if chib will actually get similar results...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maybe the teams that might want Iafallo can't fit 4 million on their team. I agree Iafallo probably makes a million too much but his contract was done by LA not Chevy.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I just have a fundamental disagreement with the way the Jets develop players/use their roster.

Our 4th line is basically a graveyard where players are asked to tread water and avoid doing anything. If they played to a 0-0 draw the whole season that would be ideal for the organization I think. I guess that kinda makes sense if you're a competing team that can bring in players in any way to fill roles on your team.

For the Jets, the only way we get top talent is to develop it. The only way to develop talent is to put them in roles to succeed. The bottom 6 gives basically no chance for development imo. Running a Lowry line that is a shutdown line and mixing the 2nd and 4th line to create two scoring type lines would be a much smarter way to acclimatize skilled players to the NHL. Right now it's either throw them directly into the top 6 or into the graveyard.

Having Chibby/Lambert develop by switching in and out of two different lines, mixed with some veterans, sheltered if needed, while Lowry/Scheifele line take the tough minutes seems like the best bet to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad