Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
In a good scenario, Petts moved, one of Tanev, Zucker is taken by Seattle and Pens have more than enough to sign TB, Ceci and Zar with some left for shopping if a LW doesn't develop like DOC. Hate to lose Tanev but he plays that style that will lead to potential injuries and in a tight cap world, have to consider that.
yeah! one of taney, zucker, petts needs traded. who depends on the return. imo then we lose one of the other in the draft. but i also would be willing to trade a few others in stead, again it would also need to be a much better return.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
More money because he’s a better hockey player
On what basis do you make this claim?

at a much more important position.
This part is true. However. you generally don't have such a wide discrepancy between centers and wingers on their lines.

But we are all ok with paying money to guys who are actually good players
This part isn't true, given the fact that ZAR is actually a good player that nobody seems to want to give money to.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't personally think this is outlandish, but Blueger's career high (so far) is 22 points in 69 games during the 2019-20 season. (With that said, he has 21 points in 39 games so far this season.) ZAR's career high is 17 points in 43 games during the 2018-19 season. I realize Blueger is a center and is doing to get more money than a winger as a result, but why should he get that much more?

Because the season before the contract is signed is the most important one, and Blueger is about to get close (if not over) .5 ppg while ZAR hasn't been near that mark for a while.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm low-key worried about what Matheson's gonna look like without Ceci. :laugh: Excited for the rollercoaster though.

I'm scared to see what Matheson looks like in really difficult usage with Marino, but if he's used like a 3rd pair D with Ruhwedel, I'm not super concerned about it. I don't see why going with Ruhwedel instead of Ceci with the same usage would yield dramatically worse results.

I think Matheson should be viewed as the anchor for the 3rd pair that plays ~18 minutes a night with significant special teams minutes. In that role, I think he's good regardless of who his partner is.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Blueger's next contract will pay him 2-3x more than ZAR.

I can't believe anyone is trying to compare ZAR to Blueger. Blueger is a good 3c. ZAR is a solid 4th liner.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
On what basis do you make this claim?

This part is true. However. you generally don't have such a wide discrepancy between centers and wingers on their lines.

This part isn't true, given the fact that ZAR is actually a good player that nobody seems to want to give money to.

My eyes are the basis I use to make that claim. Teddy Blueger is currently a better player and has a way higher upside then ZAR. ZAR isn’t good, you can talk up his advanced defensive metrics all you want but the guy is an offensive black hole where the play usually dies. He’s maybe a 4th liner, maybe. Teddy Blueger is a good 3rd line center with the ceiling to move up to 2nd line center. ZAR’s ceiling is average 4th liner.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blueger's next contract will pay him 2-3x more than ZAR.

I can't believe anyone is trying to compare ZAR to Blueger. Blueger is a good 3c. ZAR is a solid 4th liner.

If the Penguins have to pay Blueger 3x as much as what ZAR is making, I'm looking at what Blueger can fetch in a trade tbh.

That's not a knock on Blueger, but ZAR's probably getting about $1.5-$2 million on an extension, and frankly the Penguins would be making a bad decision if they're paying Blueger 2x-3x that to be their 4th best center after Crosby, Malkin and Carter. If Blueger wants more than $3 million a year, they're better off trading him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm scared to see what Matheson looks like in really difficult usage with Marino, but if he's used like a 3rd pair D with Ruhwedel, I'm not super concerned about it. I don't see why going with Ruhwedel instead of Ceci with the same usage would yield dramatically worse results.

I think Matheson should be viewed as the anchor for the 3rd pair that plays ~18 minutes a night with significant special teams minutes. In that role, I think he's good regardless of who his partner is.
I think it's half Ruhwedel isn't what Ceci's been, and half Marino's looked rough, so (ideally) next season's POJ-Marino pairing probably needs to be the bottom pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Tbh, I’d be more worried about Marino.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Evolving hockey predictions

Teddy
Signs July/August - 2yrs 2.4 mil
Sep/before season - 4yrs 3.375 mil
After season starts - 3yrs 3.15 mil

ZAR
Signs July/August - 3yrs 2.25 mil
Sep/before season - 3yrs 2.4 mil
After season starts - 3yrs 2.45 mil

How they calculate their predictions
Evolving-Hockey

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Teddy

ZAR

Evolving-Hockey

Wow f*** that ZAR deal.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Wow f*** that ZAR deal.

Yeah I imagine he could get a deal like that and it wouldn’t be crazy (it’s high though) but for us I’m thinking 1.7 mil. As a number not looking at our total cap situation. Maybe we can’t afford to do that.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Teddy

ZAR

Evolving-Hockey

Cody Ceci’s projection is 4yrs 3.8 - 4 mil

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If the Penguins have to pay Blueger 3x as much as what ZAR is making, I'm looking at what Blueger can fetch in a trade tbh.

That's not a knock on Blueger, but ZAR's probably getting about $1.5-$2 million on an extension, and frankly the Penguins would be making a bad decision if they're paying Blueger 2x-3x that to be their 4th best center after Crosby, Malkin and Carter. If Blueger wants more than $3 million a year, they're better off trading him.
Strongly disagree. Those are 3 older guys ahead of him. The likelihood of one of those 3 being hurt at a time is strong. There could easily be one of them out of action for like half the games next year. Malkin usually misses about 20 on his own. Blueger is great insurance. He can fill in on the wing too, higher in the lineup. This is the Pittsburgh Penguins. There WILL be a rash of injuries.
If it's only ~3.5 mil that's a small price to pay to have a reliable 4th line all year, who can play 2-way. We saw what it's like relying on Jank.
Besides, there's no guarantee Carter would continue to be used as a Center in October, or will be as good next year. Blue could leapfrog him.

Blue is a proven commodity at this point. We don't have to worry about him hurting us in any way all year. Losing him would only create question marks.

I agree that on the surface it's too much to pay for a 4C, but if you think about our situation and all the implications, it's worth it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's a bunch of ways to increase Blueger's importance if needed to match a new contract. Increase L4's minutes to keep the older guys fresh. Move Carter to wing and promote him to 3C. That doesn't even include the classic of "wait for the injuries".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
TB's a fine 3C, but he's behind Carter and maybe McCann as the 3C--if he doesn't work in the top-6 as a winger.

For the next season, TB's the 4C. I know he's better than that, and I'd be entirely happy running a McCann-TB-Carter 3rd line if we could find a winger to round out Geno+Kap's line.

But the big additions by subtraction, especially cap-wise, will be Zucker and Petts.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
yeah! one of taney, zucker, petts needs traded. who depends on the return. imo then we lose one of the other in the draft. but i also would be willing to trade a few others in stead, again it would also need to be a much better return.

I'd tend to agree. With Matheson having a gigantic long contract, Petts sucking and being signed for too much and Marino being protected, we can use a spot on Ceci and that's our D crops protected. We might think the world of Tanev but he can't stay healthy and he's signed forever for probably too much even without the injuries. Zucker is 100% the guy getting taken, unless they lose their minds and take Pettersson. We're either losing Zucker to Seattle or trading him. If we trade him, there's a good chance they take a cap problem off our roster and we get a good piece back for Zucker.

The only way Zucker stays is if he's so good in the playoffs we're willing to give Seattle something to take Petts or Matheson to keep him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There's a bunch of ways to increase Blueger's importance if needed to match a new contract. Increase L4's minutes to keep the older guys fresh. Move Carter to wing and promote him to 3C. That doesn't even include the classic of "wait for the injuries".

that would actually be my preferred line given Blueger’s FO issues...I’d rather have another FO guy on his line, and since GOAT is good at taking FOs, I’d like to see the following in the bottom six:
Zucker-Blue-Carter
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
OK...2021-22 outlook

Forwards: $46.225 mil - 10 signed
Defense: $26.125 mil - 7 signed
Goalies: $4.750 mil - both signed
Jack Johnson - $1.166 mil
---------------------------------------
$78.266 mil - Need 3-5 Forwards, rest is set if they want to keep it as is.

So you got $3.274 mil of cap space with these guys pending:

RFA: Blueger, ZAR, Zahorna, Jankowski
UFA: Ceci, ERod, Gaudreau, Sceviour

Note: Didn't add Riikola to this because I don't know what his cap hit will be. Assuming he'll get traded, but he could get buried in the minors.
Also Joseph has not been factored into this either, if they choose to use him with the big club next year over Friedman and Ruhwedel.

Zucker is gone. No two ways about it. Not enough $. Either ED or trade.
Hextall has to choose between Petts and Ceci. Right now I'd assume he lets Ceci walk. Petts contract is not easily tradeable and Hex hates dealing away picks unless it's a slam dunk.

At that point you'd have $8.74 mil after shipping out Zuck, hopefully. Blue and ZAR would demand 4.5 mil combined at minimum I'd say. Then you'd have around 4 mil to sign 3-4 Forwards. Gaudreau and Zahorna at minimum. ERod if he'll take 1.5 or less. Then one more, whether a taxi squad guy, trade acquisition or UFA.

Anyways, that's how I see this summer going. Even if we lose in R1, it will be a long, close series most likely. Hex won't be rebuilding yet after the season we had.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Teddy

ZAR

Evolving-Hockey

That would be such a waste of cap space committing that much money to ZAR.

You shouldn't be spending that much money on someone who's essentially a 4th liner, especially at that term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad