Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder how the half season plays into it though. I dunno,

Probably not a whole lot as it's all about them repeating this season over a full slate to get there? I can't imagine there being new contracts this summer unless the players are happy to take team friendly contracts to secure their future here, at which point obviously it's team friendly and not 5m.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I know this is gonna be sacrilegious here, but hear me out.

Malkin for Eichel. Buffalo gets to still have a superstar name they can market. We get a DECADE younger. Malkin hasn't topped 25 goals in three frequently-injured seasons. Eichel needs neck surgery. So, lots of unknowns with both.

I'm a big Geno fan and always have been. If we have a chance to get Eichel, you do it and deal Geno in the deal or deal him elsewhere. It's a no brainer.

Eichel would be a pit bull under Sullivan and a team that would actually support him and get him guys to play with.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I honestly think Matheson’s deal is not bad compared to Pettersson. 850k more for a lot more production and a fit to our identity. What do you think Matheson would get on the open market after this season? Probably 4-4.5m.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
By trading Rust for a 1st and Kaut.

Also, I'm not sure Kapanen and McCann will get 5 million.

Right now (obviously can change over time) Evolving Hockey projects

McCann: 4yrs @ 4.4 - 5mil

Kapanen: 2yrs @ 3.6 - 4mil*
*If Kappy signs after season starts they predict 4yrs @ 4.5mil

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

By next year I project:

McCann will get 10 2x4's, 100k in DOGE, and two tanks of gas.

Kapanen will get a few buckets of rice, 5 Eth, and some propane to grill meat he can't afford.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

So Kap gets a .4 to.8 million raise 3.2 million
Mccan gets 1.5 to 2.6 million raise. 294

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So Kap gets a .4 to.8 million raise 3.2 million
Mccan gets 1.5 to 2.6 million raise. 294

For more context:

McCann at 4 years goes into 1 or 2 years of UFA years
Kappy would still be a RFA in a 2 year deal

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Not sure. I guess a better question is:

What type of deal would you need to trade Marino?

No, it would have to be something crazy. It is not like we have a boat load of young RD depth. LD we have a ton of options with many players in primes and a very strong prospect ready for NHL duty. RD you have mid 30's Letang, Marino, and that is about it that I trust in the top 4 next year. Ceci will be offered a big contract from some team over the summer. So I would keep Marino because no team would offer enough for me to make our RD situation Letang, Friedman, Ruhwedel. Not going to happen.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Not really sure why a team overpays for him, but yes.

I can’t think of one physical attribute that sticks out in his game as being elite outside of his IQ which is possibly a one year thing at this point.

aka. Exactly what we saw with Olli.

Skating sticks out to me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I love McCann and think he's better than how the Penguins are using him, but honestly if Sullivan doesn't start using McCann like a top-6 forward, I'm going to be very hesitant to give him a big extension.

He objectively should be viewed as a top-6 forward going forward, especially after Zucker leaves. But at the same point, he should probably have been viewed as a top-6er this year too but his ice time per game is 14:07.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I love McCann and think he's better than how the Penguins are using him, but honestly if Sullivan doesn't start using McCann like a top-6 forward, I'm going to be very hesitant to give him a big extension.

He objectively should be viewed as a top-6 forward going forward, especially after Zucker leaves. But at the same point, he should probably have been viewed as a top-6er this year too but his ice time per game is 14:07.

I think once Zucker is gone McCann gets elevated. But yeah, he’s going to be a luxury we probably have to deal (which is one of the main reasons I think @Peat and I originally hypothesized the move Rust even though he is killing it thought process a few weeks back. Idea being McCann could be one of the solutions for replacing Rust)

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'm a big Geno fan and always have been. If we have a chance to get Eichel, you do it and deal Geno in the deal or deal him elsewhere. It's a no brainer.

Eichel would be a pit bull under Sullivan and a team that would actually support him and get him guys to play with.
Evgeni Malkin would never accept a trade to Buffalo. End of story.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I mean. Look at what we’ve been though this year. And we still won the division. I mean which guys should we be looking to sell off? I don’t understand the need to blow up this team. We’re good.. Unless you’re simply regarding maybe a Pettersson type. Possibly Zucker.

Rust is 29 with 1 year left on his deal and he's going to get paid. I could absolutely see them trying to swing a deal for him. Maybe they flip Marino in a hockey deal and keep Ceci around? I see Zucker and Pettersson being shopped.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Rust is 29 with 1 year left on his deal and he's going to get paid. I could absolutely see them trying to swing a deal for him. Maybe they flip Marino in a hockey deal and keep Ceci around? I see Zucker and Pettersson being shopped.

I see Zucker being exposed and taken.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That's probably no ZAR and no Ceci then, and there might be another player outside of that four taken by Seattle. How much turnover do we want here?

That's fair but we have decent turnover every year and we have some guys knocking on the door - Angello, Zohorna, Poulin, Legare, POJ and then possibly a free agent. I would like to keep Ceci for 1-2 more years. I think in 2 years, we may be out of it, so he may be a good UFA TDL target for other teams assuming he keeps up his level of play. That said, given the players I listed, I'm not convinced we are THAT much worse off if the turn over involves the likes of ZAR, Ceci, Petts, Zucker considering the cap space we get and the players we have to backfill. At a minimum with some assumptions:

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kapanen
Tanev-Bleuger-Carter
BigZ-GOAT-Angello

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Freidman-Rudwedel
POJ-Riikola

With the resulting cap space. Not a terrible base.

LA's been the one mentioned most out west and I think it makes a fair deal of sense. I could possibly see them not going as high as other bids due to having a lot of high end C prospects, and maybe thinking they're a better bet than going top heavy.

I think there's a few other teams that'd make sense depending on how ready to go for it they feel - I think Ottawa could be surprisingly aggressive there, I think they've hit the stage of their rebuild where a star 1C would make a huge difference if actually willing to spend to the cap - but I look at Minnesota as a team that looks ready to contend other than their 1C. Not great assets there mind.

I mean, the moment you're trading a guy like Eichel you're losing the trade and starting the rebuild, but I think there's enough teams looking for a 1C they'll get an okay boost. I mean, it's not like there's many other actual 1Cs out there to get, is there?

Big question for me is whether they give it one last shot at making it work, or blow it up now - bye Eichel, bye Risto, bye Reinhart. The next two years do look pretty good years to try a tank...

I think Buffalo is going to get killed on the neck surgery as well. I doubt they get full value for him and it makes me feel bad for them. I would be trying for something like a low-tier 1C or high end 2C, a good young roster player, and a 1st+prospect. Something like Monahan+Mang/Dube or Trocheck+Pesce.

Burakovsky got a 4.9m two year bridge straight to FA for a 63 point pace season, and Strome 4.5m x 2 for a 69 point pace (nice) - first time anywhere near it for either. Labanc did a Pettersson, and got 4.725m x 4 (a year late) for a 56 point season. Kapanen and McCann are both pacing for 61 points this season. I think that if they're in that neighbourhood again next year then, depending on negotiations and term, a little under 5m seems pretty likely.

I swear I'm not singling out your posts, lol. I think both around $4mil would be great. Maybe duel 3yr x 4mil per deals?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I see Zucker being exposed and taken.

Agreed. I just don't know how Hextall is going to be here. Is he going to be like JR and go "all in" every year? Is he going to start flipping guys like Zucker if he can? Is he looking for purely hockey trades our would he be OK with having a trade that was more geared toward futures? I know he has been a decent drafting GM, but I'm very curious to see how he navigates this job.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Agreed. I just don't know how Hextall is going to be here. Is he going to be like JR and go "all in" every year? Is he going to start flipping guys like Zucker if he can? Is he looking for purely hockey trades our would he be OK with having a trade that was more geared toward futures? I know he has been a decent drafting GM, but I'm very curious to see how he navigates this job.

I think it’ll be let’s keep going for it but when trading do it with an eye on the future.

More retool than full rebuild.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Sam Bennett in Florida -

10 games played, 6 goals, 15 points, +12

That is incredible. Talk about a guy getting a fresh breath of life to his career.

He could be the next Jeff Carter ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad