Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Tom Hanks . . . getting both also would helped with your L2 LW problem (actually with Malkin's skating, he could've slid to LW).

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@Tom Hanks . . . getting both also would helped with your L2 LW problem (actually with Malkin's skating, he could've slid to LW).

Obviously possible to get both but probably not realistic (cap & what was traded etc) Bennett not necessarily the same player here either as he’s shown in Florida.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Obviously possible to get both but probably not realistic (cap & what was traded etc) Bennett not necessarily the same player here either as he’s shown in Florida.

Oh I know . . . you never know 100% . . . but many advocating to get him saw him as a L2 LW option.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Damn, if Reinhart was available, I'd be over the moon if we managed to land him.

Sam Bennett in Florida -

10 games played, 6 goals, 15 points, +12

That is incredible. Talk about a guy getting a fresh breath of life to his career.

That's awesome to see. And I wish NHL GMs were more amenable to moving struggling youngsters rather than hanging onto them forever while they wither on the vine. Obviously they don't want to look dumb and see the player blossom as soon as they leave, but at the same time, better it happens somewhere (in this case where it probably wont bite them in the ass) than they just scuffle along until the window to deliver on their promise is shut. Strome in Chicgao, too. (edit: after seeing how few games Strome got in Az, I'm realizing he's an awful example of this)

Virtanen is another one. Recent allegations aside, that guy has seemingly been dangled or shipped out in trades for years. Nolan Patrick might be another, assuming his body can survive.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think once Zucker is gone McCann gets elevated. But yeah, he’s going to be a luxury we probably have to deal (which is one of the main reasons I think @Peat and I originally hypothesized the move Rust even though he is killing it thought process a few weeks back. Idea being McCann could be one of the solutions for replacing Rust)

McCann could be elevated right now if it's about Zucker so I doubt it is. I think Sully's sniffed a new HBK third line advantage, and if McCann-Carter plays out like that this post-season, who knows what happens next in terms of usage?

Right now I'd like to take it one step at a time in terms of what McCann has to be doing for this team to justify his next payslip. I know he has been a gigantic boon as a utility tool middle sixer and am happy to pay quite a lot for that in a vacuum, but that first needs to carry over into the playoffs. There's also questions about PP usage/next payslip size, and what the rest of the team looks like. Best case - Poulin/Zohorna emerges as the physical part of Geno's line and is there for two more cheap years post-22, so highly paid third liners are more than a-okay. Worst case - McCann's worth a lot of money but doesn't solve Geno's wing, for which we also need money. Weirdest case - We can't get Geno to agree a new contract and McCann becomes the new 2C. Lot of moving parts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reinhart would be an awesome add. It'd be an expensive one, and it'd make the cap a ballsache coming up, but if we could do that, that'd pretty darn cool.

That's fair but we have decent turnover every year and we have some guys knocking on the door - Angello, Zohorna, Poulin, Legare, POJ and then possibly a free agent. I would like to keep Ceci for 1-2 more years. I think in 2 years, we may be out of it, so he may be a good UFA TDL target for other teams assuming he keeps up his level of play. That said, given the players I listed, I'm not convinced we are THAT much worse off if the turn over involves the likes of ZAR, Ceci, Petts, Zucker considering the cap space we get and the players we have to backfill. At a minimum with some assumptions:

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kapanen
Tanev-Bleuger-Carter
BigZ-GOAT-Angello

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Freidman-Rudwedel
POJ-Riikola

With the resulting cap space. Not a terrible base.

We've had plenty of turnover, and plenty do, but I'm not sure it's been to our favour. If this team does well in the playoffs and we can limit turnover, I think I'd prefer to unless we're getting some strong upgrades.

Can you get those upgrades with the cap space you open up? Maybe, but likelihood is there will either be some heavy trade prices, or some getting overpaid contracts, or maybe signing UFAs to contracts slightly longer than we'd prefer. We're probably not getting a guy like Ceci for 3m x 2 if he refuses that. We're probably not getting a guy like ZAR for under 1.25m. I don't think getting ruthless squeezing the pennies works that well for us here.

I think Buffalo is going to get killed on the neck surgery as well. I doubt they get full value for him and it makes me feel bad for them. I would be trying for something like a low-tier 1C or high end 2C, a good young roster player, and a 1st+prospect. Something like Monahan+Mang/Dube or Trocheck+Pesce.

What you're suggesting they swing for is more than I reckon they'll get. I also think Buffalo need to accept they've biffed it and need to rebuild fully, grab the futures rather than looking for a roster return.

I swear I'm not singling out your posts, lol. I think both around $4mil would be great. Maybe duel 3yr x 4mil per deals?

That'd be awesome but I can't imagine them doing that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd really like to keep McCann-Carter as the foundation of the 3rd line. Assuming McCann-Kap doesn't absolutely kill it together as Geno's winger duo, which I'm highly skeptical of, I think that the depth McCann-Carter gives us is something we've been missing for years. Find a solution to Geno-Kap's missing piece this summer. Either promote Tanev to the 3rd with McCann-Carter or try and find another guy if you need to keep ZAR-TB-Tanev together as your 4th line (not a terrible idea, but I think Tanev can/should be moved up).

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This stupid thing in the back of my head keeps asking, what if Carter rocks out in the playoffs and the Kracken take him? I mean it would be super short term for them, but gms do sometimes love the old vets? That kind of monkey wrenches us, right?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This stupid thing in the back of my head keeps asking, what if Carter rocks out in the playoffs and the Kracken take him? I mean it would be super short term for them, but gms do sometimes love the old vets? That kind of monkey wrenches us, right?

It's possible - I still think they could take him with the intention of flipping him - but I'm not sure it'd be a huge deal. He's been great but the bottom six was great before he got here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Would definitely be one of the worst outcomes, imo.

Petts
Zucker
Anyone else

Reactions: madinsomniac

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It might be unfair of me since he's a young guy who's been stuck in a shitty situation for far too long, but Eichel has always struck me as Kessel-esque. Undeniably an elite talent, can't argue with the production, he's still only 24, etc., but he's just not the guy that I'd want to build my team around. For the team to have real success, I think he needs to be second (or third or fourth) fiddle. Something like LA where he'd be behind Kopitar and Doughty in the pecking order (even if he's out producing them) makes sense.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
yeah it doesn’t give us any cap relief....
And we lose the 3C, or at least a very good 3rd liner.

In Petts' case, we free up a spot for POJ or Friedman to do the job at a fraction of the cost, and rid ourselves of a multi-year commitment to a bloated contract.

In Zucker's case, we free up cap to chase someone like Hyman or Coleman in FA.

I'd prefer Petts to be taken because it checks off a bunch of boxes at once, and I think it'd be easier to move Zucker with this being the last year of his deal. But I think both need to be gone by October. Zucker's a bad fit making too much money to be hovering between lines and not pulling his weight, and Petts is a $4 million bottom pairing guy as the roster stands now who is keeping POJ (or Friedman) out the of lineup, two guys who can do his job just fine for a fraction of the price.

Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It might be unfair of me since he's a young guy who's been stuck in a shitty situation for far too long, but Eichel has always struck me as Kessel-esque. Undeniably an elite talent, can't argue with the production, he's still only 24, etc., but he's just not the guy that I'd want to build my team around. For the team to have real success, I think he needs to be second (or third or fourth) fiddle. Something like LA where he'd be behind Kopitar and Doughty in the pecking order (even if he's out producing them) makes sense.

the results of this are going to be Kessel esqe too... they have to trade him before his no trade clause kicks in in 22 so they will go highest bidder and some obtuse team will deal too much for him and kneecap themselves and he probably w get the blame when he cannot singlehandedly carry them

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That has been my prediction for a while now. Everyone else the Pens likely expose are either on not great contracts (Zucker, Matheson, Petts, Tanev) or just don't move the needle at all (ZAR, CDS, Riikola).

Carter is productive, versatile, brings veteran Cup winning experience, is easily movable if the season doesn't go well, cheap. The only knock against it in my mind is he's only signed for 1 year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I genuinely think Petts being taken is such a good outcome for us that we should pay if we have to in order to absolutely ensure he's taken. I don't think it'd cost a ton and with the other players being bigger losses and Zucker being a much easier move with this being the final year of his deal--it makes wayyyy too much sense.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I genuinely think Petts being taken is such a good outcome for us that we should pay if we have to in order to absolutely ensure he's taken. I don't think it'd cost a ton and with the other players being bigger losses and Zucker being a much easier move with this being the final year of his deal--it makes wayyyy too much sense.

Zucker has 2 years left, 10 teams he can block and is paid 6.25mil next season. I’m not sure he’d be easier to move.

I hope he’s the one exposed and taken

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

every single thing I’ve read about Ron Francis’splans is saying they want a minimum of a first rounder to take specific players.... and Petts could be dumped cheaper elsewhere if need be...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker has 2 years left, 10 teams he can block and is paid 6.25mil next season. I’m not sure he’d be easier to move.

I hope he’s the one exposed and taken
Oh jeez, you're right. I thought this was his last season for some reason.

Either way, Petts is the absolute correct answer. No question about it. Blocking POJ's spot, similar options for a fraction of the price, and four years left on his deal. Blergh.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I love Carter but wouldn't that be among our best case wishes if they did that? They will not of course given his age, but if they want a 36 year old take him.
He's been our best forward since we traded for him. :laugh: No, it would not be the best case for Seattle to take our $2.6 million AAV third line center who has been killing it since coming over, and leaving us with two bloated contracts and guys we have to move this summer in Petts and Zucker.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Oh jeez, you're right. I thought this was his last season for some reason.

Either way, Petts is the absolute correct answer. No question about it. Blocking POJ's spot, similar options for a fraction of the price, and four years left on his deal. Blergh.

Petts is tradeable if we wanted too. I’m just not that sure that’s a good idea right now. He’s a good D man

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I love Carter but wouldn't that be among our best case wishes if they did that? They will not of course given his age, but if they want a 36 year old take him.
Among the remotely realistic options, Carter being selected might be the worst option for the Pens.

But given his age and contract status, it also wouldn't be the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad