Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
One of Tanev Zucker or petts will be in Seattle. Trade Zar for pick pre expansion

I wouldn't trade anyone pre expansion. Just let them make the pick and move on. We are only losing one player and no use trying to protect more than we can. Those deals almost always go worse. Protect Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Kapanen, McCann, and Blueger as the forwards and Dumoulin, Letang, and one of Matheson/Pettersson. They will take one of Tanev, Zucker, Pettersson, and maybe even Carter if they want a veteran leader. Whoever they pick we still will have plenty of fire power coming back and adjust from who they take.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wouldn't trade anyone pre expansion. Just let them make the pick and move on. We are only losing one player and no use trying to protect more than we can. Those deals almost always go worse. Protect Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Kapanen, McCann, and Blueger as the forwards and Dumoulin, Letang, and one of Matheson/Pettersson. They will take one of Tanev, Zucker, Pettersson, and maybe even Carter if they want a veteran leader. Whoever they pick we still will have plenty of fire power coming back and adjust from who they take.
If we trade Zar we forced them to take a bad contract in a cap frozen season
I am on record saying that I will explore trading rust at the draft and having a heart to heart with Letang. 5 million a year next 4 to finish out here Letang one team tons of friends or do you want to get paid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am curious to see how Burke and Hextall are planning on maneuvering this offseason. I could see them selling guys off for futures. Hextall really doesn't seem like he's down with the "all in" JR theme.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If we trade Zar we forced them to take a bad contract in a cap frozen season
I am on record saying that I will explore trading rust at the draft and having a heart to heart with Letang. 5 million a year next 4 to finish out here Letang one team tons of friends or do you want to get paid

You can be on record all you want because you literally have nothing to do with the organization. All pass on all your ideas you presented. Have a nice day.

Actually that last one wasn't that bad. Worth a shot but I doubt someone playing at such a high level like Letang first for that this summer but worth a shot. I guess I would try and get Rust, Letang, and Malkin for bargain extensions a year early. Doesn't hurt to ask. As for expansion if they want to take ZAR then I will jump for joy and have a ton of talent to choose from on making the team. Will have plenty of good options if we want to trade someone. Pettersson will not be hard to trade if we wanted to do so. All see how Zucker does in the playoffs before deciding on him this summer. Definitely not protecting him but might not dump him for nothing either.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd trade ZAR because frankly I don't think he'll be worth the cost to re-sign him after the year.

Let Zucker be the expansion draft pick and try to move ZAR's rights after the expansion draft.

Reactions: Pengwins

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I am curious to see how Burke and Hextall are planning on maneuvering this offseason. I could see them selling guys off for futures. Hextall really doesn't seem like he's down with the "all in" JR theme.
Especially when the purge is going to take place after next season. Letang Malkin Rust Kap Mccan Teddy are all up and the cap will be frozen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If a team offers an overpayment for Marino, do you do it?

Very tempted if the overpayment is in high end ELCs. I mean, if you can get Ceci signed and get a good 2nd pairing next year from him and Matheson again, how much role does Marino have here anyway? Obviously there's a few tripping points with that sentence but it's not like we're talking moving a piece we have no replacement for.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I mean. Look at what we’ve been though this year. And we still won the division. I mean which guys should we be looking to sell off? I don’t understand the need to blow up this team. We’re good.. Unless you’re simply regarding maybe a Pettersson type. Possibly Zucker.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I mean. Look at what we’ve been though this year. And we still won the division. I mean which guys should we be looking to sell off? I don’t understand the need to blow up this team. We’re good.. Unless you’re simply regarding maybe a Pettersson type. Possibly Zucker.
Well are you paying Rust 7 million a year or would you rather take a 1st and prospect then watch him walk for free.
You have Kap Teddy McCan all who will get raises to 5 million a season
You have Letang and Malkin entering the last year of contracts.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think they both want Pens to get bigger, so more adding pieces like the Carter type (minus the age). They wont take us away from our game and change us to be more of a hitting team, but add some size with skill/speed. Maybe add a few pieces that adds a physical element.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Seattle can only take:

Petterson - A bland middle pairing D
Zucker - bye Felicia
ZAR - a 4th liner
Carter - 1 year from retiring
DeSmith - An average backup goalie

Literally none of that will break us. Infact I bet the Pens get better relative to other teams given what other teams will lose.

Reactions: StIvany4Norris

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Seattle can only take:

Petterson - A bland middle pairing D
Zucker - bye Felicia
ZAR - a 4th liner
Carter - 1 year from retiring
DeSmith - An average backup goalie

Literally none of that will break us. Infact I bet the Pens get better relative to other teams given what other teams will lose.

Tanev won't be protected.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Was he ever?

Well, if elite signifies too much for you, I’ll say his skating ability certainly “sticks out” as way beyond average in this league.

Further, he has barely more than 100 games in this league. You ponder trading him to re-sign Ceci because in his prime year ever he has done as well as Marino did as a rookie.

I like Ceci a lot and would be happy to keep him, but you don’t even consider this asset management play on Marino before he has a season where he could really bring a haul. Eventually, with his abilities, he will. Next time Letang misses a real # of games for instance.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, if elite signifies too much for you, I’ll say his skating ability certainly “sticks out” as way beyond average in this league.

Further, he has barely more than 100 games in this league. You ponder trading him to re-sign Ceci because in his prime year ever he has done as well as Marino did as a rookie.

I like Ceci a lot and would be happy to keep him, but you don’t even consider this asset management play on Marino before he has a season where he could really bring a haul. Eventually, with his abilities, he will. Next time Letang misses a real # of games for instance.

I think the hypothetical was if a team over pays for him. I’m thinking a blue chip and a higher 1st. Yes I move him.

Friedman seems to be a solid enough bottom pairing D and that’d allow us to likely sign Ceci who comes in cheaper and with less term.

Even in Marino’s amazing season last year I saw nothing that would lend itself to him replacing Letang.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh, the better answer to Butternubs' question is arguably "Who wouldn't you trade for an overpay". Sentimentality aside, it's a pretty short list consisting solely of guys we probably couldn't replace without overpaying ourselves, and for me it's about Sid, Geno, maybe Tanger and Dumo, maaaybe Jarry and Jake. That's it. This is a deep team, please overpay for our stuff.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well are you paying Rust 7 million a year or would you rather take a 1st and prospect then watch him walk for free.
You have Kap Teddy McCan all who will get raises to 5 million a season
You have Letang and Malkin entering the last year of contracts.

Well Rusty, as well as everyone else sans Blue, has an additional year on their contracts. I don’t think Blue will break the bank. I’d hope Geno/Letang can take a discount to stay. Petts is really the only one I’d shop. And possibly Zuck. I know we all want to move on from guys and get assets.. but sometimes you gotta keep a good team together as long as you can.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Tbh, the better answer to Butternubs' question is arguably "Who wouldn't you trade for an overpay". Sentimentality aside, it's a pretty short list.

Of course, I agree. I’d go further and say I’d trade anyone on the roster if the return made it seem meaningless not to. Including Sid/Geno.
Then the question always becomes “what return would that then be for X?”

If I baulk at the thought of trading Marino (or Rust) it is then due to thinking that if I were most any other team, I would not give up enough that as a Penguins fan, I’d consider it enough of a home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad