Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's putting up points despite not being able to handle a single pass, finish a single chance or even follow the general flow of the game.

Yeah, but that’s not really what we need in general, (last night not withstanding). I know it’s not going to happen, but if we scratch players for producing but making a few mistakes, then by god, Zucker should be one! :laugh:

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I want to see what guys do in the playoffs before making any decisions on the path forward. There will be some change no matter what but how much is the question.

Reactions: Giskard

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Honestly, Gaudreau isn’t looking great at wing, IMO. So I’d like to try something like this:

ZAR - TB -Carter
Zohorna - Gaudreau - Zucker

until Zucker unf***s his game or is gone.

I know that Zucker's been bad, but if you think putting him with worse linemates on his off-wing with less ice time is going to help him get his game together I'm not sure what to say.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I know that Zucker's been bad, but if you think putting him with worse linemates on his off-wing with less ice time is going to help him get his game together I'm not sure what to say.

What game?

Updated today
upload_2021-5-5_15-33-12.png

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I don't care about trying to help Zucker get his game together or whatever is the new hotness. I care about icing the strongest possible lineup with depth for the playoffs. Which I get is kind of against the grain here-- same with the debates over line usage. He looked a little better last night, but still, our goal shouldn't be to rehabilitate Zucker. It should be to win in the postseason.

That said, you could easily swap ZAR and Zucker. I had him on the 4th because of his long stretch of bad play, but he looked a bit better last night, so if the lines were up to me (they're not), I'd maybe think about keeping him on the 3rd, but wherever TB goes, BART goes as well. It's a moot point because of "line pairs" and other dogma which means that Zuck isn't going going to leave Geno's line except on a stretcher, even though he'd be best on a line where he's the go-to guy and isn't expected to follow the play too closely.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Boston’s wins out, Capitals win tonight and beat the Flyers twice (lose to Boston) we beat the Sabres twice...

We all tie and then I think the Bruins win the division.

Other than that, I am not seeing much of a path to winning the division unless the Caps lose two more games. They will have the tiebreaker over us.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Boston’s wins out, Capitals win tonight and beat the Flyers twice (lose to Boston) we beat the Sabres twice...

Other than that, I am not seeing much of a path to winning the division unless the Caps lose two more games. They will have the tiebreaker over us.
If I had my choice, I would want nothing to do with the Bruins. But if we have to get through them, I’d rather take my chances with a healthy roster in the 1st round.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yep. Was super stoked when we got Zucker and always liked him in Minny, but this isn't that same dude. It's no longer about trying to get him to work and lessening the negative effect he'll have on any of the top 3 lines, imo. Not that we have many better options, with guys like ZAR and E-Rod the only ones I can think of, but y'know. That's one reason I think Hextall's got his work cut out for him this summer.

As of now, Zucker should be a 3rd liner, at best. I'm not even sold on McCann-Kap as a successful winger duo for Geno, but it won't be as bad as Zucker, imo.

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
ZAR-TB-Carter
Zucker-Gaudreau-E-Rod

Swap the bottom two LW if you want. If/when Tanev's healthy, mixes up the bottom-6 a bit but yeah.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If I had my choice, I would want nothing to do with the Bruins. But if we have to get through them, I’d rather take my chances with a healthy roster in the 1st round.
I would rather face any other team in the NHL than the Bruins, based on our history. That being said, I would say the series odds are about 55-45 for them. 60-40 tops. We're a strong team.
It's all contingent on what version of Rask we get, for me. If we get mellowed out playoff Rask who loves playing the Penguins, we're in trouble without elite goaltending from Jarry.

That is no longer possible, sadly. Caps would have the RW tie-breaker on Boston in that scenario.
Basically we 100% need help from the Flyers in one of these 2 games. At least drag it to OT.

Worst of all I fear the Bruins may want us in R1. They may throw the last game. Rest players.
Why would they want NYI? Haven't they gotten owned this year by them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Try Zucker with Sid for a game or two. Hell, just take him away from Geno.

giphy.gif

I know, I know, Sully was an effective coach three years ago, two Stanley cups, Jack Adam, injuries, blahhhh.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As much as I'd like the Bs to lose out against Washington, I don't actually care enough about them or Sully's tenure to want to avoid them or try to duck them. If we're gonna pull off the nearly-impossible, might as well shoot the moon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As much as I'd like the Bs to lose out against Washington, I don't actually care enough about them or Sully's tenure to want to avoid them or try to duck them. If we're gonna pull off the nearly-impossible, might as well shoot the moon.

Yeah. Plus we asked for the Habs last year and got murdered, so be careful what you wish for.

This team has a habit of playing up or down to their competition lately no matter how often it bites them in the ass, so I'd prefer an opponent they respect enough to take seriously.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Try Zucker with Sid for a game or two. Hell, just take him away from Geno.

giphy.gif

I know, I know, Sully was an effective coach three years ago, two Stanley cups, Jack Adam, injuries, blahhhh.

Sully isn’t the reason Zucker won’t ever play with Sid

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I would rather face any other team in the NHL than the Bruins, based on our history. That being said, I would say the series odds are about 55-45 for them. 60-40 tops. We're a strong team.
It's all contingent on what version of Rask we get, for me. If we get mellowed out playoff Rask who loves playing the Penguins, we're in trouble without elite goaltending from Jarry.

That is no longer possible, sadly. Caps would have the RW tie-breaker on Boston in that scenario.
Basically we 100% need help from the Flyers in one of these 2 games. At least drag it to OT.

Worst of all I fear the Bruins may want us in R1. They may throw the last game. Rest players.

Fairly certain the tiebreaker between 3 teams is the highest percentage of points earned by the 3 teams when playing each other.

I could be wrong but Boston wins that easily.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

no, they might want the Isles...they definitely don’t want the Caps so they’ll do what they need to avoid that scenario but they probably don’t care between the Isles and Pens...actually the Pens had better numbers (analytics and goals) against them than the Isles

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yep. Was super stoked when we got Zucker and always liked him in Minny, but this isn't that same dude. It's no longer about trying to get him to work and lessening the negative effect he'll have on any of the top 3 lines, imo. Not that we have many better options, with guys like ZAR and E-Rod the only ones I can think of, but y'know. That's one reason I think Hextall's got his work cut out for him this summer.

As of now, Zucker should be a 3rd liner, at best. I'm not even sold on McCann-Kap as a successful winger duo for Geno, but it won't be as bad as Zucker, imo.

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
ZAR-TB-Carter
Zucker-Gaudreau-E-Rod

Swap the bottom two LW if you want. If/when Tanev's healthy, mixes up the bottom-6 a bit but yeah.

I usually record the games and skip intoductions right to the puck drop so I forgot about tanev coming back...

He should be back tonight, yes?

More scrambled lines here we go... where does tanev go?

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
As for our playoff matchups, doesn’t look like we are going to win the division so who we play isn’t a big deal. Most likely going to have to go through Boston and Washington to get out of the division. Bring em on.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Then put him on L3 full time.

yep, I really don’t get the professed love for McCann-Carter duo...I don’t see any more chemistry between them and Zucker-Carter...the goal should be an improved L2, but Sully is a certified idiot...either move Zucker back to RW on L3 and play Tanev on L2 when he’s ready to play, or swap McCann and Zucker...this is really not rocket science

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fairly certain the tiebreaker between 3 teams is the highest percentage of points earned by the 3 teams when playing each other.

I could be wrong but Boston wins that easily.

It isn’t. RW. Then RW + OTW. Then RW+OTW+SOW.

The only way we make the 2nd seed is by winning out and Boston needs to win every upcoming game in regulation to tie that and overcome us as well as us winning neither game in regulation against BUF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad