Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah it's just a good general rule of thumb.

Nearly nothing else will slam the window shut faster.

Not only that, but Blueger's performance this year just reeks of "unsustainable career year". He's shooting at 16.7% on the year and has an on ice shooting% of 11.9%. There's not a chance in hell he's going to sustain that as a defensive bottom-6er going forward, his on ice shooting% in his first 2 years was 8.1% and 7.1%. Not only that, but Blueger's analytics on the year are actually kinda mediocre (-1.70% xGF%Rel with a terrible -0.41 xGF/60Rel and a great -0.31 xGA/60Rel), which isn't that dissimilar to what he was at last year (-3.24% xGF%Rel with a terrible -0.63 xGF/60Rel and a great -0.35 xGA/60Rel).

The biggest difference between Blueger's 2019-2020 and Blueger's 2020-2021 is that the pucks are going in significantly more this year. Is that ZAR-Blueger-Tanev suddenly becoming much better offensively, or is it just purely coincidence? I'm not willing to give Blueger a huge contract only to learn it's the second.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually really like Blueger and have for a while but 4M would be a near-stupid number, IMO. I'm at like 3 and I think that's pretty nice for him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Blueger is Bones, but Bones got $4M as a UFA, with a rising cap, with more of a track record and coming off 2 Stanley Cups. Hextall should be fired immediately if he can't Blueger for much less than $4M. And I say that as a big Blueger fan.

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Blueger won’t ask (except as a negotiation tactic) for 4 mil nor will he get it.

I imagine it’s very close to 3mil (1yr will be closer to 2 mil)

I imagine Blueger will want a 2 year deal to get to UFA past the flat cap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Blueger is Bones, but Bones got $4M as a UFA, with a rising cap, with more of a track record and coming off 2 Stanley Cups. Hextall should be fired immediately if he can't Blueger for much less than $4M. And I say that as a big Blueger fan.

Blueger has one season with Bonino stats and not even really close to Bonino stats given his goal production. Bonino also was a back to back cup winner when he got that contract.

Blueger has a long way to go to get 4 mil in the flat cap environment. I think if he gets 3.5 he did a ton of work and the team likes him a ton, but I think we can easily get him below 3 million if we really want to play hardball and don't care too much about the term being more than 2 years ala McCann.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
My prediction: Buffalo offers ZAR a big (for him) contract as they bring the NY guy home (yes i know hes not from that part. shut up) in an effort to stop hemorrhaging goals. Sully becomes emotionally unhinged as he loses his favorite toy. He is fired as his mental instability becomes a detriment to the team. Velluci takes over, strips Crosby of his captaincy and gives it to the newly re-signed Teddy Blueger. The Latvian Prince leads the team to back to back cups, and May 3rd (today ironically) becomes Teddy Blueger day in Pittsburgh. Teddy and his new wife, Kendall Jenner wave to the 500,000 people who come out for the parade, which ends in 53 being retired and hung in the rafters. The pair then buys the team from Mario, and live happily ever after in a mansion off Mt Nebo Rd.

Obviously the last part is made up. But I do see Buffalo being very interested (and overpaying) in ZARs services if he were to become available.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
My prediction: Buffalo offers ZAR a big (for him) contract as they bring the NY guy home (yes i know hes not from that part. shut up) in an effort to stop hemorrhaging goals. Sully becomes emotionally unhinged as he loses his favorite toy. He is fired as his mental instability becomes a detriment to the team. Velluci takes over, strips Crosby of his captaincy and gives it to the newly re-signed Teddy Blueger. The Latvian Prince leads the team to back to back cups, and May 3rd (today ironically) becomes Teddy Blueger day in Pittsburgh. Teddy and his new wife, Kendall Jenner wave to the 500,000 people who come out for the parade, which ends in 53 being retired and hung in the rafters. The pair then buys the team from Mario, and live happily ever after in a mansion off Mt Nebo Rd.

Obviously the last part is made up. But I do see Buffalo being very interested (and overpaying) in ZARs services if he were to become available.

ZAR is not a UFA yet so we still have his rights if we want to qualify him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I actually really like Blueger and have for a while but 4M would be a near-stupid number, IMO. I'm at like 3 and I think that's pretty nice for him.

I feel like 3 is a number you give Blueger if Carter retires or gets picked in the ED, because it'd be a fine amount to pay your 3C, but a terrible amount to pay your 4C.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like 3 is a number you give Blueger if Carter retires or gets picked in the ED, because it'd be a fine amount to pay your 3C, but a terrible amount to pay your 4C.

Yeah for sure. I agree with the notion that I want Blueger back but it's a waste if he's on the 4th line toiling with like ZAR and Lafferty or whatever.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Terrible would be to move on from a good centre who’s improved every year. Carter we’ll have for a year and is as old as dirt. Still a good player but things can change quickly.

Teddy is over 15 mins ATOI this and last season so he gets used enough.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Terrible would be to move on from a good centre who’s improved every year. Carter we’ll have for a year and is as old as dirt. Still a good player but things can change quickly.

Teddy is over 15 mins ATOI this and last season so he gets used enough.

I shouldn't be that flippant, there's a lot of things that can make TB's cap hit at 3 work-- for example, trading Zucker and then one of Math/Petts getting taken in the draft would be okay, Carter retiring, etc. I just think it's a bit much to pay 3 million for a guy if he gets stuck on the 4th, getting 9 minutes and change a night. I absolutely think that TB could earn that hit in a vacuum or for another squad.

Honestly, as long as we don't have to sign something before the ED, I'd just qualify TB and have some fair negotiations with him. Our cap and roster situations could change remarkably before camp which would make the whole thing moot.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I shouldn't be that flippant, there's a lot of things that can make TB's cap hit at 3 work-- for example, trading Zucker and then one of Math/Petts getting taken in the draft would be okay, Carter retiring, etc. I just think it's a bit much to pay 3 million for a guy if he gets stuck on the 4th, getting 9 minutes and change a night. I absolutely think that TB could earn that hit in a vacuum or for another squad.

Honestly, as long as we don't have to sign something before the ED, I'd just qualify TB and have some fair negotiations with him. Our cap and roster situations could change remarkably before camp which would make the whole thing moot.

I don’t think you’d ever see his usage that low for a few reasons: injuries, match ups, Sully’s trust level etc

If anything I think the bottom 6 centres would play similar minutes if healthy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Blueger has one season with Bonino stats and not even really close to Bonino stats given his goal production. Bonino also was a back to back cup winner when he got that contract.

Blueger has a long way to go to get 4 mil in the flat cap environment. I think if he gets 3.5 he did a ton of work and the team likes him a ton, but I think we can easily get him below 3 million if we really want to play hardball and don't care too much about the term being more than 2 years ala McCann.
Did you quote the wrong post or something? It seems like you are disagreeing and then you repeat most of the points I made.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don’t think you’d ever see his usage that low for a few reasons: injuries, match ups, Sully’s trust level etc

We've seen Sully use the 4th for under 10 minutes for chunks of the season. It's not a big deal when it's the Size Queens line or something like that, but Blueger has absolutely been getting way more ice time this year than usual because of injuries, and you can't roll your 3rd and 4th for both 15+ minutes a night.

That'd be my fear with usage going forward, but I guess we'll see how that shakes out over the last few games and into the POs because it's the first time in a long time we'll see a more ideal center situation.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We've seen Sully use the 4th for under 10 minutes for chunks of the season. It's not a big deal when it's the Size Queens line or something like that, but Blueger has absolutely been getting way more ice time this year than usual because of injuries, and you can't roll your 3rd and 4th for both 15+ minutes a night.

That'd be my fear with usage going forward, but I guess we'll see how that shakes out over the last few games and into the POs because it's the first time in a long time we'll see a more ideal center situation.

Remember that total centre minutes will be more than 60 mins per game. I don’t think Teddy would go below 13 minutes if he was on L4 for most of the season

EDIT: It’s also worthwhile even if it’s just for a year as we’ve seen the struggles of the 3C position since Bones left until now.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We reguarly did that with Bonino and Cullen during the cup years.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We reguarly did that with Bonino and Cullen during the cup years.

Which is fine when Cullen wasn't making more than a mill and change and salaries were a bit lower in general.

I'm not saying that TB doesn't deserve 3 and that he's an excellent 4C- he is, and I don't mind his usage. But with the stagnant cap and our current situation, things have got to change a bit before I'd like to see us spend 3 bills on a 4C, even with the understanding that he'll be moving up the lineup as soon as as warrants. Now, make TB 3C, move Carter to 3RW, and it's a different convo entirely.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Am I the only one that would like to see Carter on the wing?

It would be nice to keep Teddy, and try Carter on his wing with Zucker (if he’s here). Behind Canner-Geno-Kap.

Edit: meant to post this in the post game thread and didn’t even see @HandshakeLine beat me to it. So much for having any original thought :laugh:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one that would like to see Carter on the wing?

It would be nice to keep Teddy, and try Carter on his wing with Zucker (if he’s here). Behind Canner-Geno-Kap.

Edit: meant to post this in the post game thread and didn’t even see @HandshakeLine beat me to it. So much for having any original thought :laugh:
No you are not....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad