Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm actually surprised Blaine Byron hasn't signed yet. That's pretty weird to see him without a contract still, you'd think he chose to go the UFA route because he thought he could do better elsewhere in terms of fast tracking his career, yet he's a C, the Pens need more of that and he is still looking elsewhere.

Edit: I see he's truly a UFA in August, oh well.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
well i Think if he would be in Pittsburgh plans he would be invited to
prospect camp...
seems he likes he chances better in Another team so good luk to him.

Lots of center men from the college Leagues to pick up ...
Tyler Sheehy is one i wonder about ?
born in the end of 1995 so still 21 years old if that matters?
he has not been signed yet and he has good stats.
he undersized but seems to have some skills.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
well i Think if he would be in Pittsburgh plans he would be invited to
prospect camp...
seems he likes he chances better in Another team so good luk to him.

Lots of center men from the college Leagues to pick up ...
Tyler Sheehy is one i wonder about ?
born in the end of 1995 so still 21 years old if that matters?
he has not been signed yet and he has good stats.
he undersized but seems to have some skills.

Looks like he's returning to Minnesota. Was even named captain.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
An update on Lucas Bengstsson:
http://www.hockeysverige.se/2017/07...daligt/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Do you dare to thoughts about debating in the NHL coming season, considering what you've been through?
- Yes, I have to have that. That's what I want to do and is the goal. As I said, it's about getting as well prepared as possible. Then the shooting ramp up here on the balcony where we sit so I can start to snap the shots.
I'll take it day by day and if I end up in the AHL, then that's fine. I have not played a match since 6th January so I can not be dissatisfied if I get there. I still know that I did 16 matches in AHL, at first it was difficult with new rink and so on, but the last ten matches I played very well. To have that going for me, knowing what sickness I have, I feel that "It's time to make a run for the damn thing now".
I am very excited and curious about what my body is capable of. I want to debut. If it's going to be this season or not, we'll see. The goal right now is to come back to ice hockey and then take it from there.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
You can't help but root for the guy, that's tough to have that and not know for most of your life and then finally find out, first a sigh of relief, then it all makes sense and you can now control it to an extent and get back to where you want to be.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Searching around for Gustavsson info from the WJSS:

Stopped 20 of 23 shots in a 4-3 battle back victory vs USA Blue yesterday.

http://www.usahockeyarena.com/game/show/18375868

Some more on the game with a writeup here:

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/818389?referrer_id=695820

Theres video highlights to the right of the write up as well.

He's a healthy scratch today as Sweden took on USA White and lost 4-3.
You can find more at: https://twitter.com/usahockey or https://twitter.com/USAHockeyArena

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Awesome. Hope his body is fully healed heading into training camp.

I don't know, I read [a terrible Google translation of] that article and I don't think it bodes well for his career. I'm glad they at least know what his illness is but that's a chronic heart condition and his ability to play professional hockey seems to be in question. "The goal right now is to come back to ice hockey and then take it from there." - That's a very unfortunate goal for a prospect, but I'm happy that it seems like he's getting his personal life back in order.

Important to note, I know nothing about POTS aside from what I read on WebMD after reading that article.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sweden with Gus on the bench is losing 3-2...

0d98c8edfa10b1c3e57145be8728c567efdf9f4cdb2b68a3dcaf57b8ee2e6095.jpg

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
I know many are high on Sprong, but what's his upside? His talent is obvious, no doubt he could become a talented scorer in the NHL, but could he become a top tier player?

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I know many are high on Sprong, but what's his upside? His talent is obvious, no doubt he could become a talented scorer in the NHL, but could he become a top tier player?

Yes, he could. He is tracking and progressing greatly.

One scout: in terms of raw skill, Sprong was "right up there with McDavid and Eichel."

Another scout: "Tremendous puck skills. The kid can play; not many can match his skill set.â€

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...to-the-nhl-from-the-second-round-of-the-draft

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Yes, he could. He is tracking and progressing greatly.

One scout: in terms of raw skill, Sprong was "right up there with McDavid and Eichel."

Another scout: "Tremendous puck skills. The kid can play; not many can match his skill set.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...to-the-nhl-from-the-second-round-of-the-draft

I feel the same, just wanted to see other fans opinions.

On twitter Philly fans(yea I know, "who cares what they think") are trying to trash him and say we're over hyping him, I'm just like "wait and see".

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

1st line forward, 30 goal scorer. Kessel lite.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel the same, just wanted to see other fans opinions.

On twitter Philly fans(yea I know, "who cares what they think") are trying to trash him and say we're over hyping him, I'm just like "wait and see".

I watched him in the last prospect scrimmage. He was floating but can see how difficult it is to strip the puck off of him. Just an insane, elite wrist shot

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
It's been a small sample size and a rink size and style that favours his skill set, but Tiffels seems like he can definitely play at the AHL level next year.
His advanced stats were great all tournament (I'll try to find them again later) and the hype train in Germany is about to take off.

Good call. What kind of upside does he have? All I know is he can flat out fly, like faster than Hagelin fly

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1st line forward, 30 goal scorer. Kessel lite.

I'm not sure Kessel is a great comparable for him, because I think Kessel's a lot better of a playmaker than Sprong ever projects to be and Sprong will end up a lot more physical than Kessel is (that's not really saying much though). I think Sprong projects to end up closer to a Neal type of player than a Kessel type of player. I think Sprong's upside is similar to what Yakupov's upside was when he was drafted, I think Yak is a pretty good comparable for how Sprong plays.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I'm not sure Kessel is a great comparable for him, because I think Kessel's a lot better of a playmaker than Sprong ever projects to be and Sprong will end up a lot more physical than Kessel is (that's not really saying much though). I think Sprong projects to end up closer to a Neal type of player than a Kessel type of player. I think Sprong's upside is similar to what Yakupov's upside was when he was drafted, I think Yak is a pretty good comparable for how Sprong plays.

I would say Sprong is more physical Alex Semin. Sprong is way more dynamic then both Neal and Yakupov.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Pretty tough game for Gus. Swedens defense has been awful today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad