Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Just based on the fact you have him 15th, do you think we have that many future NHL players?

well. i ranked them based on some combination of production and my perception of ceiling. i think the players i placed above him seem capable of being better than a 4th liner, but that doesn't mean they'll get there. if you asking me who i think makes it to the show, my answer would be quite pessimistic - the goalies, Sprong, ZAR, Bluger, maybe one of Pavlychev/Angello as a 4th liner? and hopefully at least one of the d-men (i'd put my money on Almari based on his recent playoffs). that's like 6 out of the 25.

i mean this is the age old discussion when it comes to prospect ranking - do you rank a guy you think will make it as a 4th liner over a guy who might not make it but if he does would be 2nd line level?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There were a lot of people going "Whoo!" when Di Pauli came here because free prospect stolen from the Caps but I'm not sure how accurate that ever was.

edit: p.s. Crafton, I'm surprised you're so low on Lafferty.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
well. i ranked them based on some combination of production and my perception of ceiling. i think the players i placed above him seem capable of being better than a 4th liner, but that doesn't mean they'll get there. if you asking me who i think makes it to the show, my answer would be quite pessimistic - the goalies, Sprong, ZAR, Bluger, maybe one of Pavlychev/Angello as a 4th liner? and hopefully at least one of the d-men (i'd put my money on Almari based on his recent playoffs). that's like 6 out of the 25.

i mean this is the age old discussion when it comes to prospect ranking - do you rank a guy you think will make it as a 4th liner over a guy who might not make it but if he does would be 2nd line level?

Got it, that makes sense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Aston-Reese this highly touted now, or is it a bit of a case of new toy syndrome? I'm honestly asking, because I've never seen him play and noticed people putting him ahead of a lot of prospects who are close to NHL ready.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is Aston-Reese this highly touted now, or is it a bit of a case of new toy syndrome? I'm honestly asking, because I've never seen him play and noticed people putting him ahead of a lot of prospects who are close to NHL ready.

The buzz when we signed him was that he's NHL ready save maybe for his skating. Most highly coveted college free agent of the year and all that. I think he's always been that highly touted, and his first hit of the AHL made him even more so.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Take this with a grain of salt but I don't think it's new toy syndrome. Every thing I've read has been very complimentary. Sounds like Sully is going to love him.

Plus, he played well for WBS, people said his skating was good at camp, and he said he's focusing this summer on adding some explosiveness to his first few steps. So he's trending in the right direction.

He's a different player but I think he's up there with Sprong in terms of NHL readiness. I don't think it is a coincidence, or blowing smoke, that the organization keeps mentioning those two together.

Northeastern’s Zach Aston-Reese raises level of his game

Offensive outburst putting Northeastern's Zach Aston-Reese into the spotlight

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What having guys like Aston-Reese and Sprong coming does, is it prevents guys like Scott Wilson, Tom Kuhnhackl, Carter Rowney and Josh Archibald from resting on their laurels. At least, they better not if they want to remain Penguins (and even then, there is no guarantee once training camp is done). Young bottom-six forwards who have already won a Stanley Cup (in some cases, TWO Cups), could feel like they are more established than they actually are. Aston-Reese and Sprong will remind them quickly.

It is a positive situation. I included Rowney in that group above if he ends up back on the wing at some point, which right now would require two center additions (at least).

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt but I don't think it's new toy syndrome. Every thing I've read has been very complimentary. Sounds like Sully is going to love him.

Plus, he played well for WBS, people said his skating was good at camp, and he said he's focusing this summer on adding some explosiveness to his first few steps. So he's trending in the right direction.

He's a different player but I think he's up there with Sprong in terms of NHL readiness. I don't think it is a coincidence, or blowing smoke, that the organization keeps mentioning those two together.

NortheasternÂ’s Zach Aston-Reese raises level of his game

Offensive outburst putting Northeastern's Zach Aston-Reese into the spotlight

There doesn't seem to be any doubt about his NHL readiness. The question is whether it's a sign he has MORE or that has he already reached his ceiling.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There were a lot of people going "Whoo!" when Di Pauli came here because free prospect stolen from the Caps but I'm not sure how accurate that ever was.

Hard to say. Last season was as much of a write-off due to injury for DiPauli as it was for Bengtsson. Both came pretty well-regarded.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hard to say. Last season was as much of a write-off due to injury for DiPauli as it was for Bengtsson. Both came pretty well-regarded.

Yeah, the injuries do complicate things.

I'm mostly gauging by media noise and numbers. Di Pauli wasn't generating Vesey/ZAR levels of buzz. His NCAA numbers were decent (particularly given Notre Dame were no great shakes iirc) but not amazing.

Which is not to say he's chopped liver - not by any stretch - just I think expectations might have been slightly higher than they should have been. Or at least that's my memory of the impression from a year ago.

I do find it mildly interesting that Josephs outperformed Di Pauli in his last year of NCAA but didn't rate a full contract from the club.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, the injuries do complicate things.

I'm mostly gauging by media noise and numbers. Di Pauli wasn't generating Vesey/ZAR levels of buzz. His NCAA numbers were decent (particularly given Notre Dame were no great shakes iirc) but not amazing.

Which is not to say he's chopped liver - not by any stretch - just I think expectations might have been slightly higher than they should have been. Or at least that's my memory of the impression from a year ago.

I do find it mildly interesting that Josephs outperformed Di Pauli in his last year of NCAA but didn't rate a full contract from the club.

I think DiPauli was looked at by most as a guy who had a decent shot at becoming a Rust-type utility tweener, and the fact that he was a free prospect we stole from the Caps made it that much sweeter.

Last year's lost season shouldn't change too much, other than that he'll have missed a key year of development and has slipped a bit down the depth chart with our recent college signings. Now he's just got more competition and less opportunity to be the first man up. He's gonna have to make himself stand out somehow.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think DiPauli was looked at by most as a guy who had a decent shot at becoming a Rust-type utility tweener, and the fact that he was a free prospect we stole from the Caps made it that much sweeter.

Last year's lost season shouldn't change too much, other than that he'll have missed a key year of development and has slipped a bit down the depth chart with our recent college signings. Now he's just got more competition and less opportunity to be the first man up. He's gonna have to make himself stand out somehow.

Right. In retrospect, maybe we should have expected a more Archibald-esque bottom 6 energy forward. Although maybe I'm off track. I don't really know how much to expect from NCAA guys depending on level of dominance there.

And who knows what he'll be this year. As you say there's plenty of competition down there - by my reckoning there's gonna be five/six wingers down there that wouldn't cause much surprise if they made some noise in the NHL next year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Right. In retrospect, maybe we should have expected a more Archibald-esque bottom 6 energy forward. Although maybe I'm off track. I don't really know how much to expect from NCAA guys depending on level of dominance there.

And who knows what he'll be this year. As you say there's plenty of competition down there - by my reckoning there's gonna be five/six wingers down there that wouldn't cause much surprise if they made some noise in the NHL next year.

Maybe the difference between Rust and Archibald isn't as pronounced as the numbers might suggest too. :naughty:

But yeah, we've got a handful of guys who could conceivably get an NHL cup of coffee when we get our yearly injuries and run with it like so many WBS kids have over the past couple years. Might depend on who gets hurt as much as anything else.

ZAR's an obvious choice if Horny goes out. Johnson/DiPauli/Archibald (is Archibald still waiver-exempt this year?) if we lose Hags/Rust. Sprong if we lose Kessel/Guentzel/Sheary. Blueger if we lose a center.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe the difference between Rust and Archibald isn't as pronounced as the numbers might suggest too. :naughty:

But yeah, we've got a handful of guys who could conceivably get an NHL cup of coffee when we get our yearly injuries and run with it like so many WBS kids have over the past couple years. Might depend on who gets hurt as much as anything else.

ZAR's an obvious choice if Horny goes out. Johnson/DiPauli/Archibald (is Archibald still waiver-exempt this year?) if we lose Hags/Rust. Sprong if we lose Kessel/Guentzel/Sheary. Blueger if we lose a center.

Well that would be very nice :laugh:

Alas, Archibald is not waiver exempt.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Well he definitely won't be sent down -- he's a legit NHL player, and he fits our system and team identity. like a glove. He'll make the Pens team, even if it's just as a 13th/14th and even if the Pens need to carry 14 forwards. They won't risk losing Archie, and he'll get his chance when injuries occur.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Damn.

Well he definitely won't be sent down -- he's a legit NHL player, and he fits our system and team identity. like a glove. He'll make the Pens team, even if it's just as a 13th/14th and even if the Pens need to carry 14 forwards. They won't risk losing Archie, and he'll get his chance when injuries occur.

We'll need to carry 14 forwards to keep Archibald up.

Makes for some nice injury insurance. Guaranteed we'll have one or two guys out at any given time.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
That's disappointing about Bjorkqvist. Although a small consolation is Bryan Rust didn't exactly light it up his first two years of college (he actually had a worse second year than first - 11 points as a sophomore) and has turned into a productive player for us.

College Freshman rarely light it up no matter where they play. Especially not at a major hockey school. Many get 4th line minutes and no PP time. Plus adjusting to college life. If they are a junior and not putting up any number then be concerned. If they increase next year that is good. College players first 3 years are generally exponential. Then senior year kinda flattens out or even dips a little depending on injuries and graduating line mates. I cover ACHA hockey on the radio. So none get drafted but occasionally a few will get camp invites. Similar trajectory just a lower level of college hockey. The good teams have 1 or 2 guys I think could have a shot at AHL/ECHL then try to make it from there (college free agents).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We probably won't be able to keep all three of Pouliot, Archibald and Kuhnhackl without exposing one of them to waivers. MAYBE if Letang starts the season on IR, we could temporarily delay things.

This is also without counting Aston-Reese and Sprong, who could very easily force us to expose two or even three of the above.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I dont see Archie getting claimed by anyone. he's a dime a dozen type that most NHL teams have one or two of. Its not to say he's not NHL ready, or capable, but most teams have their own version of him. Would surprise me if they kept 14 forwards up just to avoid exposing him to waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad