Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dont see Archie getting claimed by anyone. he's a dime a dozen type that most NHL teams have one or two of. Its not to say he's not NHL ready, or capable, but most teams have their own version of him. Would surprise me if they kept 14 forwards up just to avoid exposing him to waivers

Does everyone in the NHL really have one or two speedsters like him for their bottom 6?

I personally think it would be a definite risk to send him through waivers.

But we're gonna have 14 forwards and 8 dmen we don't wanna stick through waivers as is, more if Cullen comes back/a kid blows us all away. Either we trade some roster players away or we throw a guys through waivers and cross our fingers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Does everyone in the NHL really have one or two speedsters like him for their bottom 6?

But we're gonna have 14 forwards and 8 dmen we don't wanna stick through waivers as is, more if Cullen comes back/a kid blows us all away. Either we trade some roster players away or we throw a guys through waivers and cross our fingers.

Just remembering the almighty Gladams. No. Not all teams have one or two of those because there are som awful fourth lines it there at any given time. If he's a legitimate 4th line NHL player then not every team has one or two of him. Colorado just signed god damn Yakupov.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

You see it year after year, names getting sent down to the AHL that everyone thinks is going to get picked up by someone, and then they dont. Then you have other situations where guys are unexpectedly picked up.
What I meant though is that every team has players that are fringe NHL/4th line guys that they end up sending down, Archie is still one of those guys.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You see it year after year, names getting sent down to the AHL that everyone thinks is going to get picked up by someone, and then they dont. Then you have other situations where guys are unexpectedly picked up.
What I meant though is that every team has players that are fringe NHL/4th line guys that they end up sending down, Archie is still one of those guys.

But now he's got that Cup-winning cachet, and the league is all about speed and youth. Remember when any product of the Wings system was looked at with reverence because of how many good players they developed?

I think that's where we're at with our guys.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Every organization might not have a player identical to Archibald, but every organization will have a player of equal caliber to Archibald that they end up waiving.

The Hawks waived Mark McNeill last year. He's younger than Archibald, a former 1st round pick, and has been more productive in the AHL and nobody claimed him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sure. More make it through than are taken. But some are taken.

Will better players than Archibald get through? Yes.

But if someone wants to rebuild a speed identity, how many better players get through? That's the big question. If people are copycatting our speed, do they ignore a free speedster? Hopefully.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Sure. More make it through than are taken. But some are taken.

Will better players than Archibald get through? Yes.

But if someone wants to rebuild a speed identity, how many better players get through? That's the big question. If people are copycatting our speed, do they ignore a free speedster? Hopefully.

I think they would yes, he hasn't played alot at the NHL level, and his offence is still in question, even in the AHL he didn't produce a tonne offensively.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Every organization might not have a player identical to Archibald, but every organization will have a player of equal caliber to Archibald that they end up waiving.

The Hawks waived Mark McNeill last year. He's younger than Archibald, a former 1st round pick, and has been more productive in the AHL and nobody claimed him.

I think Mark McNeill's actual cap number in 2015-16 when he was waived was around 1.13m, makes sense no one claimed him, his AHL contract was I think 833m. In Archie's case, he scored a few goals while up, is fast and a tenacious player and he's dirt cheap.

I feel like if he's waived, he's gone for sure. Remember, Shero is still a GM, that clown claimed Bobby Farnham. Also, remember when Warsofsky was claimed and then we claimed him back? :laugh: That moron Shero at his finest, again.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

But it may not be about offensive upside when you're dealing with that kind of player. McNeill obviously is not going to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level. Perhaps some teams feel like he doesn't have enough consistency or toughness or tenacity or defensive awareness, or whatever if he's going to be in a bottom 6 role.

So perhaps a guy like Archie, who may appear to have a lower theoretical ceiling, may be a much more likely bet to be a consistently effective player, even if it's certain he won't provide offense.

I think it's fair to say that when most teams are building out their bottom 6, they will look to fill it with players who bring specific elements/ingredients they want to have as part of the mix for their line up. I think there are A LOT of teams that would love to have Archie's speed, physicality/grit and his ability to PK. He brings a nice package of ingredients to really complement a team, even if his overall ceiling is quite low. I would not want to take the chance of exposing him. He's ready to play...it's just a matter of someone getting injured for him to get his chance.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
But it may not be about offensive upside when you're dealing with that kind of player. McNeill obviously is not going to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level. Perhaps some teams feel like he doesn't have enough consistency or toughness or tenacity or defensive awareness, or whatever if he's going to be in a bottom 6 role.

So perhaps a guy like Archie, who may appear to have a lower theoretical ceiling, may be a much more likely bet to be a consistently effective player, even if it's certain he won't provide offense.

I think it's fair to say that when most teams are building out their bottom 6, they will look to fill it with players who bring specific elements/ingredients they want to have as part of the mix for their line up. I think there are A LOT of teams that would love to have Archie's speed, physicality/grit and his ability to PK. He brings a nice package of ingredients to really complement a team, even if his overall ceiling is quite low. I would not want to take the chance of exposing him. He's ready to play...it's just a matter of someone getting injured for him to get his chance.

How much time has he actually spent PKing at the NHL level? (I ask that honestly, not rhetorical.)

Kannu

Jul 23, 2006
Erie,Pa.
Regular season 5 Minutes in 11 games. About 0 in the playoffs

Few players are recalled from the A and put on the ice to PK immediately. But Archie tied for the AHL lead with 4 shorties before moving up! He was considered the baby pens best PK'er.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Few players are recalled from the A and put on the ice to PK immediately. But Archie tied for the AHL lead with 4 shorties before moving up! He was considered the baby pens best PK'er.

Rowney saw a fair amount of PK time after coming up IIRC.
As did Ruh, but thats a different situation with dmen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, Archy can easily PK at the NHL level.

Per the roster right now, top PK'ers(for forwards): Hags, Rowney, Kuhnackl, Rust/Archy.
Sid and Geno could/can do it. Horny/Wilson in a pinch.

Pretty imperative the 3C can do it cuz they need more than Rowney taking PK draws.
I know Sid can come out and take them but he hasn't had to do that alot in 2 seasons(where they won it all).

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The Sabres have confirmed that the Pens will be joining Buffalo, Boston and New Jersey for a prospect tournament Sept 8-11 at Harbor Center.

In recent years Pittsburgh had been with Toronto, Ottawa and Chicago for these prospect tournaments in Ontario. Last year Montreal replaced Chicago. Now we'll face off against Shero and Botterill.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Almari is one of 10 defensemen invited to the u20 tournament which starts in 2 weeks or so.

Dont know if any defenders are missing. I think he is a longshot to make the team, but at least he is on the radar for the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad