Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Who do we have in the way of Centre? I ask as I know it is a few years down the road but ****, I do not want to end up like the kak here in Montréal and have nothing at the Central position.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Who do we have in the way of Centre? I ask as I know it is a few years down the road but ****, I do not want to end up like the kak here in Montréal and have nothing at the Central position.

No one projecting higher than 3C, 2/3C if outrageously lucky.

In terms of possible bottom 6 centres - Blugers, Olund, Lafferty, Angello, that giant Russian guy.

My guess is they start drafting more centres after the next season or two.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No one projecting higher than 3C, 2/3C if outrageously lucky.

In terms of possible bottom 6 centres - Blugers, Olund, Lafferty, Angello, that giant Russian guy.

My guess is they start drafting more centres after the next season or two.

Adam Johnson might be an underrated gem here.

Not saying he'll be a scoring line center on anything - particularly since I haven't ever seen the kid play :laugh: - but the praise coming from the Pens brass suggests he might be our best center prospect:

A few minutes after the Penguins wrapped up their development camp last weekend, director of player development Mark Recchi was asked which of the young players on the ice impressed him the most.

The first name out of his mouth was Adam Johnson.

Five days later, the 22-year-old Minnesota native became a part of the organization.

Ex-Pens scout Scott Bell (who hand-picked Guentzel): Adam Johnson woulda been No. 1 undrafted FA next yr "with 31 teams on him," wouldn't be surprised if he makes [the Pens]

Can you imagine if he became a Guentzel-calibre player at center? :amazed:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he becomes our Tyler Johnson I'll never stop laughing.

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I considered mentioning Johnson - and ZAR too for that matter - but my guess is they pan out here as wingers. I think that prospect camp prospectus referred to him as a winger. That said - the guy's got a decent sized frame and is defensively responsible so maybe. If one of the young college centre/winger guys did come good here as a centre, that would be huge. Even if he was just good enough to be an occasional fill-in while mainly playing wing.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I considered mentioning Johnson - and ZAR too for that matter - but my guess is they pan out here as wingers. I think that prospect camp prospectus referred to him as a winger. That said - the guy's got a decent sized frame and is defensively responsible so maybe. If one of the young college centre/winger guys did come good here as a centre, that would be huge. Even if he was just good enough to be an occasional fill-in while mainly playing wing.

Think ZAR is definitely going to be a winger, Johnson is probably TBD but think it is more likely he ends up on the wing.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hi all,

what do you think the chances are for Blugers to catch some games in a (Pittsburgh) Penguins jersey?
With Bones and Cullen gone I assume some spots are open but Bluger is not perhaps fully NHL ready yet but could get his cup of coffee eventually (this season).
Is that a correct assasment? Any comments?

I appreciate your input in advance :)

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all,

what do you think the chances are for Blugers to catch some games in a (Pittsburgh) Penguins jersey?
With Bones and Cullen gone I assume some spots are open but Bluger is not perhaps fully NHL ready yet but could get his cup of coffee eventually (this season).

Absolutely, he will make his NHL debut this season as a call-up at some point.. He improved a lot last year

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
yeah he will get in a good amount of games. With malkin missing his annual 15-20 games and however many the 3c/rowney miss, he could get around 20 games.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hi all,

It's hard to tell how the depth chart will shake out because most of us have never seen a guy like the newly signed Johnson, who some in the Pens org really seem to like. Simon can also play pivot and none of us know if he will be given a shot there. Blueger most definitely passed Sundqvist, which is why he was dealt away.

Blueger has all the traits to be a good third pivot... playmaking, vision, nice hands, smart, good skater, impressive defensive acumen.

The question I have with him, is his finishing ability. He may be a guy that struggles to break double digit goals. So does that weakness in his game make him a third or fourth line pivot?

Hard to really know...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
did he play any center in camp? just asking.

Dunno. But i watched him play C for Minn-Duluth and he was taking most of the important draws ES and on the PK and he can certainly skate better than the Bleugers, Simon's.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bombulie sent out a tweet that Johnson is currently the Penguins 7th center on the depth chart, so I imagine he'll be playing center here. I'm not sure what kind of upside he has, but if the scout that said "he'd be next year's Aston-Reese" is accurate, it looks like he has 3C upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad