Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
No drafted this year so knock out Lauzon.

New York RKY, how many NHL games is too many?

Also, where are you on free agents only signed this year?

edit: Based on the gushing noises coming from the org and his numbers this year, I'd probably put Almari in ahead of Hall or Tiffels.

I think it's 65 NHL games for HF requirement.

And UDFA would be fine, just no one that could be drafted in the 2017 entry draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pouliot has 67 NHL games, so is no bueno. Corrado has 71 in case anyone thinks of suggesting him.

I'd do Kidney's list, but with Niclas Almari and Thomas Di Pauli replacing Pouliot and Lauzon. Also Freddie Tiffels replacing Kasper Bjorkqvist.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pouliot has 67 NHL games, so is no bueno. Corrado has 71 in case anyone thinks of suggesting him.

I'd do Kidney's list, but with Niclas Almari and Thomas Di Pauli replacing Pouliot and Lauzon. Also Freddie Tiffels replacing Kasper Bjorkqvist.

Did Bjorkqvist have a bad season? Everyone was so high on him last year as a potential Leo Komarov-type.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Did Bjorkqvist have a bad season? Everyone was so high on him last year as a potential Leo Komarov-type.

9 points in 30 for Providence. Might be wrong to put in Di Pauli, but as he's closer and finished with some good college numbers, seemed to make sense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
9 points in 30 for Providence. Might be wrong to put in Di Pauli, but as he's closer and finished with some good college numbers, seemed to make sense.

That's disappointing about Bjorkqvist. Although a small consolation is Bryan Rust didn't exactly light it up his first two years of college (he actually had a worse second year than first - 11 points as a sophomore) and has turned into a productive player for us.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
That's disappointing about Bjorkqvist. Although a small consolation is Bryan Rust didn't exactly light it up his first two years of college (he actually had a worse second year than first - 11 points as a sophomore) and has turned into a productive player for us.

Bjorkvist is also making that tough transition to American ice, so growing pains are expected. Certainly some hope still.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Di Pauli wasn't exactly lights out initially in College either. I think that, yeah, its not a big thing, but it does make me rank older guys who've definitely got over the growing pains and are closer higher.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential/expectations of these players who made their NHL debut last season?

Tristan Jarry
Carter Rowney
Jake Guentzel
J-S Dea

Jarry looks like he could potentially become a starter in the future. At the very least he should be a capable back-up. Rowney is a 13th forward that can be put in to spark the 4th line. Guentzel will be a really skilled top-line forward for a long time. Will likely range in the 60's for points. Dea isnt an NHL player and likely wont be.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential/expectations of these players who made their NHL debut last season?

Tristan Jarry
Carter Rowney
Jake Guentzel
J-S Dea

Guentzel looks like a top line fixture. With Sid/Geno at center, 60+ point potential. Even without either, probably 50+ point potential.

Rowney's a 12th/13th forward. Good size, good defensively, surprisingly good along the boards/possession. Very limited offense, though.

Jarry's projects to be a starter at the NHL level. How good of a starter is still unknown. In Pittsburgh, with Murray around, the most he'll be is a competent backup.

Dea -- I have no I-Dea. Get it?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
1-Daniel Sprong (RW)
2-Tristan Jarry (G)
3-Derrick Pouliot (D)
4-Filip Gustavsson (G)
5-Zachary Lauzon (D)
6-Kaspar Bjorkvist (RW)
7-Josh Archibald (RW)
8-Teddy Blueger (C)
9-Dominik Simon (LW)
10-Zach Aston-Reese (RW)

Not sure if Pouliot has played too many games. Add in Connor Hall (D) at 10 and bump everyone else up a spot if need be.

No love for Lafferty? And why is ZAR so low?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
From NHL.com:

- Recchi said that a lot of players stood out during the scrimmage, particularly Zach Aston Reese, Sam Lafferty, Anthony Angello and free-agent invitee Adam Johnson from Minnesota-Duluth. "It was a very talented development camp," Recchi said. "We had a lot of these guys who we thought were very, very good and what we expected and it's great."

- Aston-Reese and Daniel Sprong were two of the biggest names at this camp, and general manager Jim Rutherford was asked about them when he spoke to the media about the Penguins' free agent signings. He said they're both tracking very well and he's expecting them both to have impressive training camps.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Johnson is only a sophomore but already 23 so I could see him maybe getting an ELC.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
No love for Lafferty? And why is ZAR so low?

Lafferty is really flying under people's radar. He should easily be the biggest riser on people's list this year. His junior season was pretty stellar. Hopefully he continues to tear it up his senior year.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005

Tristan Jarry
Carter Rowney
Jake Guentzel
J-S Dea

Jarry improved nicely from a so-so rookie season but he needs more time and a few NHL games. WBS has a way to make every goalie look good. He's on the right track but too early to tell whether he can be an NHL starter.

Rowney is a late-bloomer who brings size and grit to the 4th line but that is his absolute ceiling. Can play C or RW, and kills penalties so he'll probably always find a job somewhere as a 13th forward.

Guentzel has the hands, hockey sense and determination to be a top 6 winger for the next 10 years. Yes playing with Sid helps but first you have to be smart enough to click with him.

Dea at this stage is a borderline prospect. Can play C or RW, has a good shot and is good at faceoffs. His game at even strength has been criticised. He seems to lack the pace and/or effort the Pens want from their players.

Lafferty is really flying under people's radar. He should easily be the biggest riser on people's list this year. His junior season was pretty stellar. Hopefully he continues to tear it up his senior year.

Lafferty is hard to judge because he has played his entire college career so far on an abysmally bad team. Last season he had 35 points when the entire Brown team scored only 66 goals (leading to a 4-25-2 record). So Lafferty contributed on 53% of their offense. And without scoring a single PP goal (he had 2 shorties, though). That's just insane. He definitely had a breakout year that really put him on our prospect map. But will his production translate or was it simply a case of Brown being a bad team and somebody had to score some points?

Kannu

Jul 23, 2006
Erie,Pa.
Jarry improved nicely from a so-so rookie season but he needs more time and a few NHL games. WBS has a way to make every goalie look good. He's on the right track but too early to tell whether he can be an NHL starter.

Rowney is a late-bloomer who brings size and grit to the 4th line but that is his absolute ceiling. Can play C or RW, and kills penalties so he'll probably always find a job somewhere as a 13th forward.

Guentzel has the hands, hockey sense and determination to be a top 6 winger for the next 10 years. Yes playing with Sid helps but first you have to be smart enough to click with him.

Dea at this stage is a borderline prospect. Can play C or RW, has a good shot and is good at faceoffs. His game at even strength has been criticised. He seems to lack the pace and/or effort the Pens want from their players.

Lafferty is hard to judge because he has played his entire college career so far on an abysmally bad team. Last season he had 35 points when the entire Brown team scored only 66 goals (leading to a 4-25-2 record). So Lafferty contributed on 53% of their offense. And without scoring a single PP goal (he had 2 shorties, though). That's just insane. He definitely had a breakout year that really put him on our prospect map. But will his production translate or was it simply a case of Brown being a bad team and somebody had to score some points?

Was Lafferty signed or is he going back to college?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My rankings:
1. Sprong
2. Jarry
3. Gustavsson
4. Aston-Reese
5. Lauzon
6. L. Olund
7. C. Phillips
8. Bjorkqvist
9. Simon
10.C. Hall

The last spot could have gone to Drozg, Pavlychev, Angello, Tiffels, Blueger or Archibald, really.

I try to take both NHL readiness and long-range upside into account, specifically. I am very high on Olund from everything I have seen and read on him.

And, I am still very high on Simon. I think he has a chance to really make an offensive impact in the NHL, though perhaps not with us.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Simon skating is an issue. Pens have a real lack of top D prospects. Hall has nice size and and plays with grit. I guess they like the draft picks this year. Fortunately, the Pens don't have many openings for a couple and have time to draft and develop young talent to be ready to go when needed.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

As long he's the somebody that had to score some points, I'll take it. Doubling your point production from the last two previous seasons combined is quite a jump. The thing that makes me a little weary about his stats is that they don't come against the greatest competition either. I use to think Lafferty was a throw away pick, just to draft a local kid and have a good story to write about. But he's definitely taking a step in the right direction.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What are the expectations of Connor Hall? I remember when he got drafted Jay McKee said he felt he could improve his offensive game.

We really need to restock our cupboard at D

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What are the expectations of Connor Hall? I remember when he got drafted Jay McKee said he felt he could improve his offensive game.

We really need to restock our cupboard at D

Difficult to say as, like a true Penguin, he broke his shoulder and wiped out most of last season. Numbers from it weren't great though, for whatever that's worth. #66 posted some encouraging stuff about him in the Prospect Development Camp thread though.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Lafferty is hard to judge because he has played his entire college career so far on an abylsmally bad team. Last season he had 35 points when the entire Brown team scored only 66 goals (leading to a 4-25-2 record). So Lafferty contributed on 53% of their offense. And without scoring a single PP goal (he had 2 shorties, though). That's just insane. He definitely had a breakout year that really put him on our prospect map. But will his production translate or was it simply a case of Brown being a bad team and somebody had to score some points?

fixed your spelling :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad