Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The other thing that was said of interest in the draft day interview, this time by GM JR, was that he felt both of their first two picks (Lauzon and Phillips) would have been guys they would have been happy to pick at #31, and thus the trade was really Sundqvist for Reaves.

Of course, time will tell how some of the other players between #31 and #51 compare to the guys we chose, but that gives a window into the thinking of the Pens scouts, and their feelings of the quality of the guys they selected at #51 and #93, Lauzon and Phillips.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
The other thing that was said of interest in the draft day interview, this time by GM JR, was that he felt both of their first two picks (Lauzon and Phillips) would have been guys they would have been happy to pick at #31, and thus the trade was really Sundqvist for Reaves.

you hear that nonsense from every GM after every draft

"he was the #1 guy on our board"
"we couldnt believe he was still there at our pick"
"we were gonna take him (insert pick here) and were shocked he fell to (insert pick here)"

thats the stuff you hear from GMs after every draft

not hating on the pick or anything..... I trust our scouting department and have never seen any of these guys play

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like Rutherford's reached for enough players by now that it's kinda believeable.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
They don't upkeep the main site anymore. Shame because I always found it quite useful.

Baby Pens watchers - did any of the guys down there look like they might force their way up here next season?

Yes, Hockey's Future is just a message board at this point in time...sadly.

It probably hasn't been. That portion of the site was closed a while ago. Most of it's still up, but it's essentially an archive now. All that's left are the boards.

For some reason the "go to new post" feature skipped these posts. Thanks for the replies.

That's a damn shame. Maybe we could get a simple spreadsheet going or something to keep track of who is in the system, team, position, etc.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Whats our hopes for the WJC this year?

Gustavsson should be a lock for sweden.
Drozg are probably a lock as well, tho im not sure if they play in the highest division?

outside shot for Almari maybe?

only other eligible players are Hall, Lauzon, Palojarvi and Philips, and i dont think they are on the map to make their teams.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Almari does seem like he made significant progress last season, he went from playing almost solely u20 juniors in 15-16 (and some u18 juniors) to doing well in the Liiga for half a season. He's basically guaranteed to play all next season in the Liiga, so that's encouraging. He was sent down to the U20 team after his Liiga team got eliminated it seems like, where he basically torched the junior league with getting a combined 16 points in 20 games and helped his team win the Junior A championship.

He seems to be one of the only guys from the 2016 class that had progress last season, him and Gustavsson both had seemingly good seasons. Bjorkqvist had an awful first college season, Hall was hurt all year, Jones did next to nothing in college as a 21 year old freshman and Masonius had a worse sophomore season than he had a freshman season.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are in phase two of the Crosby/Malkin era. Cheap ELC players that allow for the Kessels and Hornqvists to be paid. Cap room for trades and signings give the Pens more flexibility to address current needs. Once Dumo and Schultz are extended, it become building the talent in the system to use as needed. Outside of about 10 draft picks, drafts are a crap shoot.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Drozg are probably a lock as well, tho im not sure if they play in the highest division?

Slovenia has never played in the top division at the WJC, usually bouncing up and down between the 2nd and 3rd tier levels. They will host this season's Div-IB WJC (third-tier) in mid-December. Opponents will be Norway (relegated from Div-IA), Italy, Poland, Ukraine and Lithuania (promoted from Div-IIA). Winner earns promotion to Div-IA for next year. Drozg is a lock to play there unless Rouyn-Noranda won't release him for some reason.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Slovenia has never played in the top division at the WJC, usually bouncing up and down between the 2nd and 3rd tier levels. They will host this season's Div-IB WJC (third-tier) in mid-December. Opponents will be Norway (relegated from Div-IA), Italy, Poland, Ukraine and Lithuania (promoted from Div-IIA). Winner earns promotion to Div-IA for next year. Drozg is a lock to play there unless Rouyn-Noranda won't release him for some reason.

Drozg doesn't play for Rouyn-Noranda, that's Lauzon I think. He could come over in the CHL Import draft this week, no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw he was picked last year by Rouyn-Noranda. Would he need to enter again or would he be eligible for them? Would be better than Leksands no doubt.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Drozg doesn't play for Rouyn-Noranda, that's Lauzon I think. He could come over in the CHL Import draft this week, no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw he was picked last year by Rouyn-Noranda. Would he need to enter again or would he be eligible for them? Would be better than Leksands no doubt.

Think someone said in the other thread that he was confirmed coming over for next year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Watching some draft recap stuff and yea Prospect Development Camp runs next weekend June.28th - July.1st and all skates @ UPMC66 are open to the public.

All practices, including the Saturday scrimmage, will be open to the public at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/development-camp/c-290083066

Tourney at the end will be 3on3. Gotta skate to be a Pen nowadays.

On top of the top key guys this year(Sprong, ZAR, Gustavsson), there'll be guys like Tiffels, maybe Josephs and DiPauli, Almari, Bjorkvist, Hall, Angello, Pavlychev and the new draftees Lauzon, Drozg, Olund among others.
Key guy that'll be missing is Bengtsson who's dealing with POTS and will probably be out of commission for awhile and maybe forever, sadly. He was one of the standouts last year.

Full players list will be out in the next few days with invites.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'll probably go one of the days.. I'm only 40 minutes from Cranberry.

If anyone wants their ass kicked we can meet up.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
I'll probably go one of the days.. I'm only 40 minutes from Cranberry.

If anyone wants their ass kicked we can meet up.

lucky for me, I live 5-10 minutes away depending on traffic.... I stopped by a few noon practices this year for 15-20 minutes when I dropped by the FedEx 2 minutes away from the facility

always cool knowing I can go check out a practice a few minutes away whenever I feel like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad