Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers - October 17, 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The alternative is losing said player to another team. Did Pittsburgh want to lose Crosby? Did Montreal want to lose Price?

You don't give years to players before they've proven themselves, that would be more foolish, and agents representing players who know they have serious talent don't allow them to get locked up in long term deals worth very little.

This is a business first and foremost.

Cool story. So handcuff your organization by overpaying to keep the least important position filled?

I’d let Hank walk for 8.5 and I’d let Price walk for his deal.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sigh. Still too many unforced errors and not enough communication between players. They’ll turn it around like usual, but damn tonight was rough.

Errors, yes, but I'd rather control play and make errors, than get dominated and also make errors like we did most of the first six games.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Most teams are now being more prospective and handing out contracts buying more years at a younger age for key players. It’s smart. The Habs are going to run into the same problem with Price’s contract.

No. The Habs are going to run into troubles with his contract because le' management f***ed his career just as RangersTown did with Lundqvist.

Right now, Lundqvist's cap hit is ~11%.

Do I think it might be good to alter the contract system to a more merit based system as in the NFL? Probably. But the contract was signed within the confines off the contract system of the NHL.

Furthermore, the "any goalie can do it" bullshit drives me nuts. It only works if the league fixes the draft for you, and you don't f*** up the picks.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lundqvist earned every one and every cent of each of his contracts. Just so happens that his play has been declining the last couple years. I don't think anyone could have foreseen him looking as non-Lundqvist-esque as he has these last 2 years after seeing what he did the previous 10. Staal, we got seriously unlucky with his contract/situation.

From 2013 to Present: Henrik Lundqvist has saved 54.27 goals above average. That is second best. Crawford No. 1 with 56.65.

Facts are fun.

Reactions: Siddi

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That leads to overpaying players like Girardi (who wasn't very good to begin with, but for some reason amassed a metric ****ton of praise/goodwill for..whatever it was he did), Lundqvist earned every one and every cent of each of his contracts. Just so happens that his play has been declining the last couple years. I don't think anyone could have foreseen him looking as non-Lundqvist-esque as he has these last 2 years after seeing what he did the previous 10. Staal, we got seriously unlucky with his contract/situation.

I predicted it as did a number of people wary about the term of his deal. I didn’t care about the hit. I cared about the term. The term was bad then and it’s bad now.

Hank earned his old contracts. In terms of a retrospective deal, he “earned” this one. The issue is, we are now paying him for past performance. So on a current, 2017 level, he isn’t earning his contract at all.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Are we at the point of wanting the other bottom feeders to win to create some space so thenRangera have the highest chance of getting #1 overall?

And yes, I'm being semi-sarcastic

:naughty:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Cool story. So handcuff your organization by overpaying to keep the least important position filled?

I’d let Hank walk for 8.5 and I’d let Price walk for his deal.

The ol' 'Hank is handcuffing the organization' when his percentage against the cap is LESS than what it was before he signed his extension, all while leaving out names like Rick Nash, Marc Staal, and Dan Girardi.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No. The Habs are going to run into troubles with his contract because le' management ****ed his career just as RangersTown did with Lundqvist.

Right now, Lundqvist's cap hit is ~11%.

Do I think it might be good to alter he contract system to a more merit based system as in the NFL? Probably. But the contract was signed within the confines off the contract system of the NHL.

Furthermore, the "any goalie can do it" bull**** drives me nuts. It only works if the league fixes the draft for you, and you don't **** up the picks.

You say 11% like that’s a good thing for a league average goaltender.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The ol' 'Hank is handcuffing the organization' when his percentage against the cap is LESS than what it was before he signed his extension, all while leaving out names like Rick Nash, Marc Staal, and Dan Girardi.

I mean, get rid of all of those guys, too. Not sure what your point is bringing up other shitty contracts.

Unless you’re finally man enough to admit Hank’s is among them.

Reactions: NCRanger

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was that Hank's best game ever? Eh, probably not one he tells his grandkids about.

But on that tying goal? Can't really blame him. Goaltending is about seeing and reacting. If you get beat from behind, you never saw it and you can't react.

It's a fluke that stays out 99 times out of 100.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Isn’t this the worst start since like 1960 now?

How do we usually play “worse” than this?!?!

October of 2015 where we were 30th in scoring chances differential 11 games in by like 60 scoring chances was worse.

But Hank had the month of his life and we won most of those.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Was that Hank's best game ever? Eh, probably not one he tells his grandkids about.

But on that tying goal? Can't really blame him. Goaltending is about seeing and reacting. If you get beat from behind, you never saw it and you can't react.

It's a fluke that stays out 99 times out of 100.

I think the sad thing is that I’ve come to expect goals against on the Kessel and Hags goals. Those shots seem to beat him every time, now.

I miss old Hank.

Reactions: NCRanger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad