Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers - October 17, 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think, at the very least, what you saw tonight was the talent of the roster on display,and that we can be decent if we got some consistent coaching.

AV had a good scheme tonight. We were tough on zone entries and had good puck support. But we need that every night.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The W-L-T column is a bunch of bull**** over small samples.

Not that we don't deserve a poor record, but we absolutely deserved a win tonight.

I can get behind advanced stats as a predictor but as far as rating past performance you are what your results were.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Scores a goal, draws a few penalties = benched. AV's been doing this for a year now. He's criminally underutilizing Buchnevich. I feel horrible for the kid. His confidence must be shattered because of AV's misusage.

His confidence seems more fragile than a lot of players, based on just "eye-test" type observation. AV doesn't help at all. Probably didn't help Chytil either, getting a grand total of 12 minutes in his NHL career. If you're going to play kids, f***ing give them a chance. Especially if your trusty vets make enough mistakes as it is. Who's going to notice a few more.

AV's departure can't come soon enough.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can get behind advanced stats as a predictor but as far as rating past performance you are what your results were.

Not necessarily true.

If you have an expected goals above 4.00 and the other team had below 2.00, you deserved a better result.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Had more of an issue with Hank on the Hagelin goal than the tying. Getting beat short side on a 2-1 by Hagelin is a rough look.

He made up for it though, made some key saves.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
His confidence seems more fragile than a lot of players, based on just "eye-test" type observation. AV doesn't help at all. Probably didn't help Chytil either, getting a grand total of 12 minutes in his NHL career. If you're going to play kids, ****ing give them a chance. Especially if your trusty vets make enough mistakes as it is. Who's going to notice a few more.

AV's departure can't come soon enough.

That could be. Buch does seem sensitive. He doesn't have the cocky arrogance that Ovechkin has, or the douchey entitlement syndrome that Alex Semin had.

And with no Russians on the team, Buch must feel even more alone. I mean we forget that he's just a kid. He's 22 in a new country where he doesn't speak the language and can't even speak it to anyone on the team (with the exception of Kreider's broken Russian). And meanwhile, he hasn't done anything wrong. Is he lighting it up? No, but he's playing well and doing what's expected of him. That's how he's been since he's gotten here.

AV is such a shit. I despise him and his nepotism He doesn't even seem to care anymore. I think he would re-sign if he knew that he would still be able to collect money.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Had more of an issue with Hank on the Hagelin goal than the tying. Getting beat short side on a 2-1 by Hagelin is a rough look.

He made up for it though, made some key saves.

That was a really good deke and shot he made. Changed the angle of his blade right before he released the shot. Mostly likely learned a thing or two about how to shoot the puck after moving to Pittsburgh.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So a few 5v5 ice-time stats:

Marc Staal got the third most ice-time of anyone...

Kevin Hayes got the most ice-time of any Forward

Buchnevich and Cracknell got 5 minutes and change each

Nash, Kreider, Zuccarello, Miller and Grabner didn't get much ice-time at all

But yes, let's keep AV around
To add to your point... everything else AV has done here with this team. (K I'm really crapping on AV. Anyone who sees most of my posts knows I hate AV as a coach but I admit I'm mostly just having a bit of a laugh right now finding ways to pile on)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
That was a really good deke and shot he made. Changed the angle of his blade right before he released the shot. Mostly likely learned a thing or two about how to shoot the puck after moving to Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't call it a "deke" and it doesn't justify getting beat short side on a 2-on-1, thats cheating too much.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, I hate AV as much as anyone but this isn't on him tonight. Just brain dead plays from some of the biggest guys on the team.
The lack of preparedness is completely on him. I don't care who you are, this is like the 5th game out or 7 that we've given up a goal in the first minute

Reactions: Nickmo82

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Well yeah, but goaltending can beat advanced stats even over huge samples. It's just a thing.

That's not really a satisfying counterpoint though. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's a minor point anyway.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don't get the early goals against being attributed to lack of preparedness. Is AV explicitly telling them not to go out hard? Is he telling them to take it easy the first few minutes? If we score the early goals, does it mean a lack of preparedness by the other team? They're all human, they will come out flat for some reason or another. But I don't buy the lack of preparedness argument. Why not just call bad plays what they are regardless of what's on the clock when they happen?

Reactions: THE JAM and Vinny

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
The lack of preparedness is completely on him. I don't care who you are, this is like the 5th game out or 7 that we've given up a goal in the first minute

This might sound a bit farfetched and unrealistic and well, maybe even stupid, but I don't think he cares. I get the sense that AV never wanted be the HC of the Rangers (he never seemed enthusiastic about it) and this year, he seems laissez-faire about coaching.

I don't know, I can't imagine a coach being so resigned but I really get the impression that AV just doesn't give a crap anymore...or maybe he never did. Either way, he needs to be gone by Thursday's game.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't get the early goals against being attributed to lack of preparedness. Is AV explicitly telling them not to go out hard? Is he telling them to take it easy the first few minutes? If we score the early goals, does it mean a lack of preparedness by the other team? They're all human, they will come out flat for some reason or another. But I don't buy the lack of preparedness argument. Why not just call bad plays what they are regardless of what's on the clock when they happen?

The Penguins score a lot a defend poorly. The game ended 5-4 in OT. I get it the team isn't doing well, but the score matches the team comps.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This might sound a bit farfetched and unrealistic and well, maybe even stupid, but I don't think he cares. I get the sense that AV never wanted be the HC of the Rangers (he never seemed enthusiastic about it) and this year, he seems laissez-faire about coaching.

I don't know, I can't imagine a coach being so resigned but I really get the impression that AV just doesn't give a crap anymore...or maybe he never did. Either way, he needs to be gone by Thursday's game.

OMG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad