Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers |Game 3| 5/5/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think Montreal's a strange case because they've also got Markov on the point, but I'd say the powerplay quaterback is the guy the plays run through.

He directs the movements of the players on the ice, usually at the top of the umbrella (Subban, Krug, Yandle, etc.), or on the half boards (Giroux, Kane, etc.). People defer to him to shoot or start set plays.

Richards is definitely that guy on our team, he's not doing a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Meant for Richards, who was also to blame. As was Hank, sloppy play...

Zucc doesn't have eyes in the back, he didn't see the Pens player coming out of the penalty box behind him. That's how he describes it, but still takes the blame.

What we really should discuss is our lousy powerplay. If it isn't fixed...no chance.

I remember watching richards come up the ice and seeing that there were 20 seconds left and said to myself, outloud to no one "oh no, they're gonna get caught with 4 forwards on the ice"...his pinch there was just terrible awareness.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I remember watching richards come up the ice and seeing that there were 20 seconds left and said to myself, outloud to no one "oh no, they're gonna get caught with 4 forwards on the ice"...his pinch there was just terrible awareness.

I mentioned this in the GDT, but it's still worth noting.

If you closely watch the replay, you can see that only moments after Richards was beat, he pointed at the neutral zone to show the D the play that was occurring near the Rangers end of the neutral zone.

If that's not awareness, I don't know what is. :shakehead

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
It is mind boggling in here what do people expect us to go 16-0 and win every game 4-1? No team goes through the PO's clean there are no easy Cup wins..We completely outplayed the Pens last night but we cant buy a goal and the PP is so tight though better last night they, are turning their sticks into sawdust...We are down 2 games to 1 and its like most have given up in here?? This is a very trying place to come to talk and read about our beloved hockey team

Agreed. Down 2-1 in second round of playoffs. Only team in Eastern Conference to make it to the second round 3 straight years. From what I saw yesterday, the Rangers dominated for the most part and hit 3 posts!! Not time to panic. Now if they get shutout Wednesday...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I mentioned this in the GDT, but it's still worth noting.

If you closely watch the replay, you can see that only moments after Richards was beat, he pointed at the neutral zone to show the D the play that was occurring near the Rangers end of the neutral zone.

If that's not awareness, I don't know what is. :shakehead

The sarcasm you used there in the GDT when you originally said this was one of the highlights.

tbonenc*

I think Montreal's a strange case because they've also got Markov on the point, but I'd say the powerplay quaterback is the guy the plays run through.

He directs the movements of the players on the ice, usually at the top of the umbrella (Subban, Krug, Yandle, etc.), or on the half boards (Giroux, Kane, etc.). People defer to him to shoot or start set plays.

Okay, but how great of a PP QB is PK without that canon?

As far as directing players where to go, that is something that is practiced all season. They know where to go. But, in Montreal, they know that they have a great shooter at the point and will try to create space for him to shoot.

I just question the idea that PK has some innate ability to run the PP.

Our PP stinks right now and having a guy like PK, who can shoot with power and accuracy would help. But, it wouldn't solve how inept every one else on the ice has been.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011

Never liked Richards on the point on the PP. Just run out there 3 regular lines 4 D and go play.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I feel like missing Kreider and having an injured McD has killed this team. I feel like we would have won in 5 against Philly and we'd be shockingly up 2-1 against Pitt right now if it wasn't for those two being out (McD out on his feet at least). Then again McD was Norris caliber AND helping the PP, Kreider was a big crashing body who was definitely helping the PP. I think the MSL trade was made at the perfect time but those two injuries happened at the absolute worst possible time and we're STILL putting up a fight in these PO's.

Unless we win it all next year it's time to realistically call the Nash trade a dud. Dubs and Artie would 100% be helping this current team much more than Nash is. This idiot organization got rid of Dubs who wasn't working with Torts but then fires torts. Baffling idiocy. I would not be surprised however to find out his concussion has changed the way he plays so he refuses to get his hands dirty. In which case we got screwed by 3 big injuries in these PO's. It happens. Team isn't assembled well enough to make up for it

In a perfect world this team is exactly as constructed only Kreider and McD aren't badly injured, Tarasenko and cherepanov are there and we're up 3-0 with a new dynasty on our hands. Oh sorry I fell asleep there.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Same old story with these guys... PP stinks, make bad goalies look like Patty Roy and put up nothing on the board, hope ur goalie scores I guess -shrug-

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Lol, blaming Zucc. Richards skates in Mud at the point. Sure Zucc should be more aware, but Richards and whoever was at the other point should have been aware of the PP ending. You are tought from the second you lace up skates to be aware of the end of power plays and pucks slipping out of the zone.

it's a basic fundamental. Sure Zucc is easy to blame, but I'll give him a pass, since he's trying to make things happen.

Same can't be said for about half of our forwards or more.

Zucc had our best chances tonight. Fleury robbed him glove side and he hit a post or two.

Easily our best forward tonight.

Ummm, shouldn't Zucc have been aware of the PP ending, as well?

Deleted member 23124

Unless we win it all next year it's time to realistically call the Nash trade a dud. Dubs and Artie would 100% be helping this current team much more than Nash is. This idiot organization got rid of Dubs who wasn't working with Torts but then fires torts. Baffling idiocy.
Dubi was not traded because of Torts -- it was because of Sather....His relationship with the Rangers tanked when he held out....that's a BIG no-no in Sather's book. ANd I'm pretty sure naming Cally Captain and promptly bringing in Richards and promptly giving him an "A" and totally overlooking Dubi only made things worse (and I'll bet he wasn't exactly silent about it behind closed doors). At that point, Dubi was pretty much a goner...it was just a matter of which came first: free agency or a trade...

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
It is mind boggling in here what do people expect us to go 16-0 and win every game 4-1? No team goes through the PO's clean there are no easy Cup wins..We completely outplayed the Pens last night but we cant buy a goal and the PP is so tight though better last night they, are turning their sticks into sawdust...We are down 2 games to 1 and its like most have given up in here?? This is a very trying place to come to talk and read about our beloved hockey team

The reason we haven't been able to buy a goal is that these saves are far too easy for Fleury to make. There's no one in front making him battle to see pucks and move in the crease, and there's also no one there for deflections/rebounds. This team is basically the complete opposite of Torts' teams. Possess the puck, get tons of padding shots, and give up only a few shots against that are great chances.

I'm not ready to give up, but 0-34 or whatever on the PP and getting shutout in back to back games by one of the worst recent playoff performers is quite alarming.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Dubi was not traded because of Torts -- it was because of Sather....His relationship with the Rangers tanked when he held out....that's a BIG no-no in Sather's book. ANd I'm pretty sure naming Cally Captain and promptly bringing in Richards and promptly giving him an "A" and totally overlooking Dubi only made things worse (and I'll bet he wasn't exactly silent about it behind closed doors). At that point, Dubi was pretty much a goner...it was just a matter of which came first: free agency or a trade...

I'm not sure it was either Sather or Torts. They had to give up something and they had decided who they considered to be who was part of the core of this team. Dubinski wasn't.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Everybody ****ing relax. The Rangers dominated the game and played well apart from a few crucial mistakes.

This fanbase.

I am astonished that anyone believes the Rangers dominated that game. Is it one of those we had more shots than them deals?

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
BTW is Stepan useless or what? Guy is a ghost. Nash has been much better than Stepan.

Stepan has been terrible this series, but Nash has been pretty useless other than 2 or 3 games. Stepan is also not eating up 8 million dollars of cap space.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

I recall reading and hearing that Torts and Dubs relationship had completely deteriorated and that quite a few Rangers had gotten sick of playing for Torts. I admit I'm making an assumption when I say that I think trading Dubs was in large part b/c of this. It also was in large part bc Dubs flat out sucked his last season here. Not so much b/c Sather sat in his office stewing over contract negotiations. I think that had Dubs maintained anything resembling a respectable scoring output on the ice he likely would not have been traded and I think part of his poor output falls at the bad relationship he had with Torts

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Stepan has been terrible this series, but Nash has been pretty useless other than 2 or 3 games. Stepan is also not eating up 8 million dollars of cap space.

It's bad for this team that Stepan disappears. It is bad that nash who does indeed have a larger cap hit, only plays a little bit better than a disappearing Stepan. I was not using Stepan's play as a way to defend Nash at all. But I am using Stepan's play compared to Nash (who has sucked for the most part) to show how bad Stepan has continued to be in the PO's. When the PO's hit the cap space is meaningless. Either the big names play well or they don't. We may have a problem with Stepan who has melted in the PO's so far

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As one of Stepan's biggest fanboys, he has been rather pitiful the past few games. Now has 4 points in 10 games. Unacceptable for a 1C. We need to find a way to place him at 2C.

Im not saying Stepan is playing well, especially this series, but Nash's play has been a downright disgrace.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

One aspect that no is talking about so far is Brad Richards on the PP:

Can we all just admit that he sucks on the PP and needs to be OFF of it?

His skating is very slow at this point in his career. Therefore, he does not really back off the opposition. So they tend to just swarm him and take the puck away from him. If he does decide to dump it in, his dump ins are just not hard enough and the goalie or the opposition D tend to get the puck.

Who to replace him? I think there are a few good candidates:
Diaz - I felt that he looks very good on the PP. He is a quick skater and just as importantly, he makes quick, decisive decisions with the puck. If he plans to dump it in, its a hard dump in. If he plans to skate into the offensive zone, he does it decisively. He also kept a lot of pucks in the offensive zone for us. His shot is underrated.

McDonagh - He seems to be skating better the last few games. Still not his usual self, but may be worth a shot.

My PP units would be:
PP1:
Pouliot - Brassard - Zucc
Diaz - McDonagh

PP2:
Nash - Stepan - MSL
Girardi - Stralman

So enough with this whole 4 Forwards on the PP nonsense experience. Richards sucks at it and all he does is slow us down. Have 2 D on the point and have them blast the puck...nothing too fancy.

For forwards ,go with lines that have chemistry. We know Zucc line has a ton of chemistry and we know that Nash line has some chemistry.

Keep it simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad